Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New Monitor, recomendations?please

teepee e2
11 745 England
1 Mar 2010 2:20PM
Hi All, I am about to buy a new PC and change my old and failing CRT. Can any one recommend a good quality Flat screen monitor, it's main use will be for photo/graphics.
I have a budget of up to 450......................Many thanks Tony Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2010 3:27PM
The two to consider at that price point are the HP LP2475w and the Dell 2408wfp, if you can find one stocked somewhere - Dell have replaced them now.

Working from home today, waiting for a replacement of the HP LP2475w I received last week from HP to arrive. :-( I got a copy with a few gremlins, so had to request a replacement. It's great in Windows 7 Pro/64bit, but has a few issues with green lines around start up, windows booting and running HP software.

When I was researching which one to go for I found an equal number of quality issues popping up on the Dell. I went for the HP as is handles blacks better than the Dell.
I'm sat at an HP LP2475w
Mine's been sweet as a nut....
It's the first 'proper' monitor I've had and the difference in the brighter colours is astonishing.
The review that swung my decision was this one .
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Mar 2010 5:46PM
Another vote for the HP LP2475w, Its superb for the money and highly rated on many test sites.

There is a 22" HP model that is very similar and equally respected.

That said side by side with my Spectraview NEC models, The High end NECs have the edge, But they cost 2 to 3 times as much, Therefore at the price you can find the HP models going for, They represent great value for money.

If you buy the HP LP2475w, Allow a few hours run in time, Then calibrated it using something like a Spyder 3 or Eye One unit, You will then have a superb digital image monitor......Smile
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2010 6:03PM
Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr
nikon e2
11 118 1 England
1 Mar 2010 6:17PM
Recently upgraded to a HP 2210i "21 1/2" wide screen when I replaced my computer.
Great monitor no issues.

Dave.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
1 Mar 2010 7:05PM
I just bought an HP LP2475w (well, actually I bought 17 of them) and so far it's looking good, after from the fact it's so bright, when I look at my other monitor I have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark Smile
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
1 Mar 2010 7:08PM

Quote:Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr

Mine did that until I installed the software and rebooted.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 1:26AM

Quote:Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr

Mine did that until I installed the software and rebooted.

I've tried everything, short of creating a new custom INF. I'll try the support guys before I go down that route. Irrating thing is, I plug back in the Gremlin version and I'm straight back to the monitor being recognized and 1900x1200 screen resolution.

Quote:I just bought an HP LP2475w (well, actually I bought 17 of them) and so far it's looking good, after from the fact it's so bright, when I look at my other monitor I have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark Smile

LOL - I know what you mean
My ColorMunki talks to the HP and sets the brightness before starting calibration.
After calibration the screen is set to 45% of full brightness!
I've never used a monitor that didn't need to be set to full brightness!
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 1:12PM
I just crank mine up if my tan needs topping up Wink
teepee e2
11 745 England
2 Mar 2010 3:21PM
thanks everyone..................tony
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 2:52PM
double grr - second replacement HP LP2475w on its way

[Quote](well, actually I bought 17 of them) [/Quote

Big Bri, when you say you bought 17, I take it you mean they all worked, and not had them replaced 16 times? I'm beginning to wonder if there is a duff batch coming from the Polish factory between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
3 Mar 2010 4:40PM

Quote:Big Bri, when you say you bought 17, I take it you mean they all worked, and not had them replaced 16 times? I'm beginning to wonder if there is a duff batch coming from the Polish factory between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010.

Yes, I bought 17 of them and the 15 that are in use so far are all working correctly.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
3 Mar 2010 7:02PM
This might be worth a look.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.