Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Monitor, recomendations?please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

teepee
teepee  11658 forum posts England
1 Mar 2010 - 2:20 PM

Hi All, I am about to buy a new PC and change my old and failing CRT. Can any one recommend a good quality Flat screen monitor, it's main use will be for photo/graphics.
I have a budget of up to 450......................Many thanks Tony Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Mar 2010 - 2:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2010 - 3:27 PM

The two to consider at that price point are the HP LP2475w and the Dell 2408wfp, if you can find one stocked somewhere - Dell have replaced them now.

Working from home today, waiting for a replacement of the HP LP2475w I received last week from HP to arrive. :-( I got a copy with a few gremlins, so had to request a replacement. It's great in Windows 7 Pro/64bit, but has a few issues with green lines around start up, windows booting and running HP software.

When I was researching which one to go for I found an equal number of quality issues popping up on the Dell. I went for the HP as is handles blacks better than the Dell.

DuncanDisorderly

I'm sat at an HP LP2475w
Mine's been sweet as a nut....
It's the first 'proper' monitor I've had and the difference in the brighter colours is astonishing.
The review that swung my decision was this one.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2010 - 5:46 PM

Another vote for the HP LP2475w, Its superb for the money and highly rated on many test sites.

There is a 22" HP model that is very similar and equally respected.

That said side by side with my Spectraview NEC models, The High end NECs have the edge, But they cost 2 to 3 times as much, Therefore at the price you can find the HP models going for, They represent great value for money.

If you buy the HP LP2475w, Allow a few hours run in time, Then calibrated it using something like a Spyder 3 or Eye One unit, You will then have a superb digital image monitor......Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 1 Mar 2010 - 5:50 PM
LensYews
1 Mar 2010 - 6:03 PM

Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr

nikon
nikon e2 Member 11112 forum postsnikon vcard England
1 Mar 2010 - 6:17 PM

Recently upgraded to a HP 2210i "21 1/2" wide screen when I replaced my computer.
Great monitor no issues.

Dave.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315581 forum posts England
1 Mar 2010 - 7:05 PM

I just bought an HP LP2475w (well, actually I bought 17 of them) and so far it's looking good, after from the fact it's so bright, when I look at my other monitor I have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Big Bri
1 Mar 2010 - 7:08 PM

Quote: Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr

Mine did that until I installed the software and rebooted.

LensYews
2 Mar 2010 - 1:26 AM

Quote: Just got the new one, Gremlins gone, but now it doesn't recognise it as an HP monitor and insists on using a small resolution. grrrrr

Mine did that until I installed the software and rebooted.

I've tried everything, short of creating a new custom INF. I'll try the support guys before I go down that route. Irrating thing is, I plug back in the Gremlin version and I'm straight back to the monitor being recognized and 1900x1200 screen resolution.

DuncanDisorderly

Quote: I just bought an HP LP2475w (well, actually I bought 17 of them) and so far it's looking good, after from the fact it's so bright, when I look at my other monitor I have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark Smile

LOL - I know what you mean
My ColorMunki talks to the HP and sets the brightness before starting calibration.
After calibration the screen is set to 45% of full brightness!
I've never used a monitor that didn't need to be set to full brightness!

Big Bri
2 Mar 2010 - 1:12 PM

I just crank mine up if my tan needs topping up Wink

teepee
teepee  11658 forum posts England
2 Mar 2010 - 3:21 PM

thanks everyone..................tony

LensYews
3 Mar 2010 - 2:52 PM

double grr - second replacement HP LP2475w on its way

[Quote](well, actually I bought 17 of them) [/Quote

Big Bri, when you say you bought 17, I take it you mean they all worked, and not had them replaced 16 times? I'm beginning to wonder if there is a duff batch coming from the Polish factory between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010.

Big Bri
3 Mar 2010 - 4:40 PM

Quote: Big Bri, when you say you bought 17, I take it you mean they all worked, and not had them replaced 16 times? I'm beginning to wonder if there is a duff batch coming from the Polish factory between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010.

Yes, I bought 17 of them and the 15 that are in use so far are all working correctly.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2010 - 7:02 PM

This might be worth a look.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.