Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New monitor advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ajay
Ajay  9149 forum posts
2 Nov 2010 - 2:20 PM

My budget for a new monitor is £250 - 300. Is there a brand/model in that price band that cuts the mustard? Monitor would be used almost exclusively for photo editing. There is a huge Dixon's style store here on Gran Canaria (Media Markt) that stocks a wide range of Samsung monitors. Anyone using a Samsung?

Thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2010 - 2:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ian-Munro
Ian-Munro  6200 forum posts Wales15 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2010 - 2:29 PM

Can't remember what model number but DELL has one that people rave about that's within your budgetGrin

Ian-Munro
Ian-Munro  6200 forum posts Wales15 Constructive Critique Points

I use a Samsung and its fine.

User_Removed

I recently upgraded to a DELL ULTRASHARP 2209WA 22 INCH E-IPS WIDESCREEN at £229. Very pleased with it.

wing
wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2010 - 2:44 PM

I'm sure you'll find something HERE. Just look for the reviews

Ajay
Ajay  9149 forum posts
2 Nov 2010 - 3:54 PM

Thanks.

The Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA on the Dell website (Spain) is 411 Euros (£359). £316 on Dell UK site. Are Dell products only available via Dell online? £229 from where?

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2010 - 5:23 PM

Check this new Dell model out.....Smile

Right display, Right price....Smile

User_Removed
2 Nov 2010 - 8:10 PM

Quote: Thanks.

The Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA on the Dell website (Spain) is 411 Euros (£359). £316 on Dell UK site. Are Dell products only available via Dell online? £229 from where?

On Ebay. This is the one I bought

Ajay
Ajay  9149 forum posts
3 Nov 2010 - 4:47 PM

Thanks for the link.

Big difference between the ebay price and Dell Spain. I could have one shipped
from the UK but would have to pay import duties. Samsungs are easier to get hold of here - just not
sure which one. If anyone can recommend a particular Samsung monitor i would be grateful.

Thanks

Alan

Ajay
Ajay  9149 forum posts
3 Nov 2010 - 5:02 PM

Just had a chat with the Dell distributor here in Las Palmas. He doesn't have the monitor in stock
and it would take 30-40 days to arrive if he ordered one from mainland Spain. Mañana, Mañana...

Ajay
Ajay  9149 forum posts
4 Nov 2010 - 6:53 PM

Anyone know if the Samsung 2233SW monitor is suitable for photo editing? It was the only Samsung
monitor in the store. There was also a HP2310.

Thanks

Alan

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2010 - 7:41 PM

Quote: Anyone know if the Samsung 2233SW monitor is suitable for photo editing? It was the only Samsung
monitor in the store. There was also a HP2310.

The question of suitability depends really on you, Alan. Both of the models you refer to are built around a TN panel - which means they'll have poor viewing angles when compared to an IPS panel, as well as being less colour accurate and more prone to problems such as banding. On the other hand they'll probably be thoroughly enjoyable as all-rounders and be good for games and movies - but strictly speaking they're not the best for photo editing.

Kilcaff
Kilcaff  946 forum posts England
11 Nov 2010 - 6:49 AM

I'm going through the same pain!

I'm a keen gamer and amateur photographer and my current monitor isn't up to the task for either of them, plus a mishap with a length of copper wire during a move has left it scarred!

I keep getting offers on TN panels all the time on email from various sites, which boast great gaming and HD specs but aren't too up to scratch on photo editing requirements.

I'm not minted either so low end of £250 is my limit but it looks like I'm stuck at those prices without a good editing monitor.

I have an i1 so if anyone has had experience of some of the good all-rounders that sit below 250 and calibrated them effectively with an external calibrator please let me know. I think I'm going mad staring at monitor specs now!

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2010 - 12:09 PM

Somone pointed out the Viewsonic VP2365wb the other day, which I'd previously been unaware of. Seems pretty good at that price point.

Kilcaff
Kilcaff  946 forum posts England
11 Nov 2010 - 2:11 PM

I ended up pushing it a little and going for the Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 23".

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.