Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Nikon Cameras...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2012 - 11:52 AM

Which is most interesting to you? and why?

Nikon P510 - with 42x optical zoom equivalent to 1000mm at the telephoto end!
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-coolpix-p510-and-l810-digital-compact-ca...

P310 - Compact PASM camera
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/new-nikon-coolpix-p310-compact-digital-camera-...

More here:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/iamnikon/news

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Feb 2012 - 11:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2012 - 1:05 PM

The Nikon Coolpix P510....who's taken shots of birds in flight with this type of camera ?

I've tried taking this type of shot with a few different bridge cameras and while reluctant to say "it can't be done"

....I certainly can't do it....can anyone show me different ?

.....Mike

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2012 - 2:27 PM

The P510 uses optical image stabilisation in the lens - which they say gives 4 stop performance - compared to the P500 with an anti-shake sensor which they say gives 2 stops. Certainly be interesting to try!

User_Removed
    1 Feb 2012 - 3:56 PM

While browsing one of the above links I came across this news from Nikon:

Quote: Nikon has discontinued the D700 and D300s in Japan due to a new law, but this does not affect sales outside Japan.

Anyone know what sort of law they were breaking?

Intriguing.

BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2012 - 4:08 PM

I think there's a bit of confusion there, LF!

The new law has to do with the batteries they use in the D3 series cameras. They have now brought out a new battery for the forthcoming D4, and which complies with their new laws...probably to do with the carbon footprint or something like that. Which means that D3 series users have to by new (& more expensive) batteries if they upgrade the body.

Additionally they have discontinued the D300S and the D700 because they have reached the end of their (normal and expected) production life, and will be replaced by the new bodies to be announced soon - probably this month.

As far as I understand Mr. Hogan's commentary. Smile

User_Removed
    1 Feb 2012 - 4:09 PM

Quote: The Nikon Coolpix P510....who's taken shots of birds in flight with this type of camera ?

Back round about 2005, before I had entered the wonderful world of the digital SLR, I took some photographs of birds in flight using a Panasonic DMC-FZ10 that were good enough for magazine publication. Admittedly they were big birds (pinkfeet) and the maximum 35mm-equivalent focal length was only 420mm. The biggest drawback was the slight shutter delay but focus tracking was effective, as was image stabilisation.

User_Removed
    1 Feb 2012 - 4:14 PM

Quote: I think there's a bit of confusion there, LF!

The new law has to do with the batteries they use in the D3 series cameras. They have now brought out a new battery for the forthcoming D4, and which complies with their new laws...probably to do with the carbon footprint or something like that. Which means that D3 series users have to by new (& more expensive) batteries if they upgrade the body.

Additionally they have discontinued the D300S and the D700 because they have reached the end of their (normal and expected) production life, and will be replaced by the new bodies to be announced soon - probably this month.

As far as I understand Mr. Hogan's commentary. Smile

Well, it's Nikon themselves who are confused!

I dug a bit deeper and here is their direct quote:

Quote:
    "The D300S and D700 have been discontinued in Japan as they no longer comply with Japanís revised Electrical Appliance and Material Safety law (enacted on November 20, 2008 and revised in November of 2011). This law does not affect the production and shipment of the products for sale outside of Japan."

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2012 - 6:19 PM

Quote: I dug a bit deeper and here is their direct quote

Yup! Thats the one that I saw, It reads to me that whilst they are not selling the 2 cameras mentioned in Japan for stated reasons, They are still being produced for the export market....!!!

IF it was just a case of the batteries not to spec etc, Surely the option to change the battery design would have been thought of.....Grin

My guess is the whole story is a muddle, It lost its meaning in the Japanese to English translation, Then the media read it the way it would make more impact, Or make it more newsworthy, Lets face it Nikon are not that stupid......Wink

Onto the new Nikon offerings......Sad

Looks like more of the same, Only in lots of various colour schemes, Seems to me there are far to many bridge & compact models from all the camera manafacturers......!!!!!!!

Why not have fewer models, But with a reasonable specification across the range, The compact & bridge market now looks like a " Pot Pourri " or even a lucky dip for all but the technobods.

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 1 Feb 2012 - 6:27 PM
    annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2012 - 11:57 PM

Frankly, considering the pretty useless viewfinders on a pocket camera I wouldn't even try to focus on a bird with such a thing. When I couldn't afford a D1h yet I used some bridge thing to take magazine shots and it was always guesswork, press the shutter before the car comes round the corner.. ended up doing mostly film again and working all night to develop and scan Smile

The law argument reminds me of the Germans who make every year an environmental law that obliges every driver to replace their cars.
    Can't see how a camera harms the environment Smile

User_Removed
    2 Feb 2012 - 9:12 AM

Quote:
    My guess is the whole story is a muddle, It lost its meaning in the Japanese to English translation,
    Wink

A bit like Nikon "Users' Manuals", then!

Wink

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    2 Feb 2012 - 10:48 AM

On the "battery issue" it applies to the D300s and D700 battery and charger combination - which is one reason why the D7000 and due soon D4 have new battery types.

thewilliam
    2 Feb 2012 - 11:54 AM

Quote: The law argument reminds me of the Germans who make every year an environmental law that obliges every driver to replace their cars.

I admire the way that the French simply ignore any EU law that they find inconvenient. Our government makes a point of making every EU proposal as complicated as possible before enshrining it into UK law!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 2 Feb 2012 - 11:54 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.