Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Nikon D600 has focussing problems - WWYD?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
jimthistle73
7 Jan 2013 - 4:38 PM

I recently bought a new D600 body, 24-70mm lens and a few other bits and pieces from DigitalRev - a Hong Kong seller with a good rep.

Unfortunately, it has quite pronounced back focussing issues - I've tested it pretty scientifically with a tripod and it's all over the place.

So I got in touch with the seller to see what they suggested - I wanted the camera to be repaired in the UK to save a long wait / paying import duties again. They have agreed to this, but only if the repairer agrees that the camera was faulty from new. Fixation won't touch it as it's too new a model and if I send it to Nikon, they're unlikely to agree their own camera was faulty, so I'd likely end up paying for the repair. Can anyone recommend any other Nikon approved repair centres please?

My other options include just sending it back for replacement (long wait / import duties again / potential for further trouble with the seller or buying some calibration software like FoCal and trying to sort the issues myself.

Any advice or opinions gratefully considered, ta!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2013 - 4:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
7 Jan 2013 - 4:48 PM

This is why I only buy high value gear in the UK, I had a similar porblem with a 5D mk1 took 2 months to get a working camera.

Never again.Sad

I wish you luck in sorting the problem.

Ian

Last Modified By ikett at 7 Jan 2013 - 4:49 PM
jimthistle73
7 Jan 2013 - 4:51 PM

Cheers for the sympathy Ian Smile I've always just taken the chance and bought from DigitalRev - I've had D70s, D200s and D300s from them, along with a plethora of lenses and other gear, and this is the first time I've had a problem of any kind. To be fair to them, they've been totally on the ball so far in terms of customer service.

Who did you buy the 5D from?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2013 - 5:02 PM

If the camera is sent off for repair under warranty there will be no import duty to pay.

Same goes if the item is replaced.

Make sure you keep all the paper work as proof.

jimthistle73
7 Jan 2013 - 5:23 PM

That's worth knowing, cheers Paul. I usually find that the customs guys charge first and ask questions later though! I use a US album supplier sometimes, and despite the fact that the albums are zero rated for VAT, I get hit every time and have to claim it back through a labyrinthine process involving downloading forms off the internet. Sometimes I get a refund, sometimes not and I always have to pay Parcel Farce's 'Handling Fee'.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73300 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

Have a word with A&J Johnstonein Glasgow, they're official Nikon repairers.

jimthistle73
7 Jan 2013 - 5:49 PM

Thanks Adrian - looks like a good bet.

scottishphototours

Yes, AJ Johnstone's would be my bet too - have used them many times over the years and they are superb.

You could try phoning Nikon and explain the issue to them and see their reaction. From what I've read it's a QC problem that they're aware of and have a fix in place for, so you might be surprised at their reaction ("Aye, just send it in and we'll fix it", kinda replySmile).

Andy

jimthistle73
7 Jan 2013 - 8:18 PM

Cheers for that - I did speak to a lady at Nikon today, but the whole grey import thing meant she really didn't want to talk about it. Even when I mentioned that the seller was willing to pay the repair bill, she suggested returning it to HK.

Jack_Schitt
7 Jan 2013 - 10:35 PM

surely if its a QC problem as Andy suggests then NIKON should be repairing it reardless, should they not?

bit miffed by nikons response on that one

jack

PhilScot
PhilScot  8256 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 - 6:40 AM

With a D600 you can calibrate the lens and body together through the menu system. Look in the manual, AF finetune page 259.

User_Removed
8 Jan 2013 - 10:02 AM

Quote: Surely if its a QC problem as Andy suggests then NIKON should be repairing it regardless, should they not?

bit miffed by nikons response on that one

jack

You might have hoped so, Jack. But no chance for a very good reason (from Nikon's point of view).

Nikon UK will simply not touch a Nikon without a UK warranty because, if they did, they would hugely upset all their UK official dealers. Knowing that Nikon UK will only service and repair cameras sold by official UK dealers is a very strong reason for those dealers to stock and punt Nikon cameras and allows them to charge premium prices. Let's face it - if you could buy a Nikon anywhere and get service in UK, then only an eejit would buy one at UK prices.

However, going back to the OP's problem, don't DigitalRev offer their own 12-month UK warranty serviced, I believe, through a London repair house? They certainly did in the past - I got it with two Nikons I bought from them (D80 and D300) although I fortunately never had to use the service.

EsaT
EsaT  1 Finland
8 Jan 2013 - 7:50 PM

Quote: With a D600 you can calibrate the lens and body together through the menu system. Look in the manual, AF finetune page 259.

Also would be good to do testing with other lenses to find out if question is about camera's AF adjustment being globally wrong or does is happen with this particular lens.

Quote: Nikon UK will simply not touch a Nikon without a UK warranty

Correct wording is EU warranty.
EU mandates for buying to be free inside EU. Service and repair for products bought from only same country should be big red flag for every consumer protection agency/authority.
Though that won't help any for products bought from outside EU.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62458 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 - 8:07 PM

A problem with importing digital cameras is they need an electrical charger. Different regulations apply in different parts of the world and a Hong Kong electrical certificate is not valid in the EEC. It is likely a UK 3 pin electrical plug is put in boxes intended for the UK market.
Most digital camera warranties are restricted to a limited number of countries and are not worldwide.
Lenses are relatively safe to grey import as long as VAT has been paid as the Nikon Japan warranty is worldwide.
It would do no harm to post a link to your test target. This is the first time the D7000 autofocus module has been used in an FX body and it's subject detection characteristics our likely to be different to any previous Nikon body.

jimthistle73
9 Jan 2013 - 10:42 AM

Yup, I've always bought from HK in the full knowledge and understanding that I'd be on my own if there were ever a problem. I've been lucky over almost a decade of doing this so don't feel too bitter!

The camera and lens are all packed up and will be posted to Nikon UK today.

Last Modified By jimthistle73 at 9 Jan 2013 - 10:43 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.