Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Nikon D600 has focussing problems - WWYD?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2013 - 10:49 AM

Quote: don't DigitalRev offer their own 12-month UK warranty serviced, I believe, through a London repair house? They certainly did in the past

That is what my understanding as well.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Jan 2013 - 10:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
9 Jan 2013 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Correct wording is EU warranty.

Almost correct.

Actual wording on warranty is: "Nikon Europe Service Warranty"

Distributor: " Nikon Europe BV"

Doesn't help OP though.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quote: The camera and lens are all packed up and will be posted to Nikon UK today.

I thought you said that Nikon UK weren't interested. Have thay changed their minds now?

jimthistle73
14 Jan 2013 - 4:32 AM

No, they haven't changed their mind. They'll charge 12 to have a look and if they think it needs repaired, they'll charge accordingly. Despite all the good advice given on this thread, I decided that Nikon were probably best placed to diagnose any issues.

In the mean time, I've invested in a 2nd hand D700 for upcoming work. And I blooming love it! Feels exactly the same as my D300s. Same menus, same buttons, CF cards rather than flimsy SD cards... Honestly, I wish I'd bought a pair of these instead of real-time testing new technology.

jimthistle73
16 Jan 2013 - 11:44 PM

Quick update - thanks to all for advice. Nikon got back in touch today to say the work has been completed and there's no charge, other than 6 P&P. Score!

PhilScot, Esat; yes, the fine tuning is very user friendly, but even when mounted on my biggest tripod, I was getting varying results from shot to shot, refocussing in between shots. I'll be using the 24-70mm for the huge majority of work with this body, so wasn't too concerned about its performance with other lenses.

That said, I will be buying FoCal software and setting it up with all my primes just to be sure.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 - 8:06 AM

Quote:
I will be buying FoCal software and setting it up with all my primes just to be sure.

A word of caution on FoCal. There are several forum comments elsewhere of users "giving up on it" because of variations between tests at different times.
A possible reason is that monitors are not constantly illuminated, as a photo at 1/1000 confirms.
Autofocus can sometimes pick up the horizontal travelling lines on the monitor, outside the viewfinder rectangle. If this occasionally happens the auto focus can incorrectly estimate the distance to the target, and apply a focus adjustment that is not correct.

User_Removed
17 Jan 2013 - 10:30 AM

Quote: Quick update - thanks to all for advice. Nikon got back in touch today to say the work has been completed and there's no charge, other than 6 P&P. Score!.

That is very interesting - and heart-warming.

Procamerashop.co.uk here I come!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Jan 2013 - 10:31 AM
Steppenwolf
18 Jan 2013 - 10:13 AM

Quote: With a D600 you can calibrate the lens and body together through the menu system. Look in the manual, AF finetune page 259.

I guess you could try that but I think the idea is that this fine tune is to account for variations between lenses. It's not intended to be used to correct for camera body adjustment errors. Unfortunately camera BF/FF issues are always a potential problem with DSLRs.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2013 - 10:07 PM

You forgot to add that SLT cameras also suffer from this. It is an atribute of the phase detect AF systems.

It is great to read about good service. I hope it all works well for you now.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Jan 2013 - 10:10 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101496 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2013 - 7:08 AM

Quote:
Procamerashop.co.uk here I come!

Using their direct bank transfer method for payment, a saving of 160 could be made on the lowest price I have found for a D800. That's very tempting.

Steppenwolf
19 Jan 2013 - 8:45 AM

Quote: You forgot to add that SLT cameras also suffer from this. It is an atribute of the phase detect AF systems.

They're a subset of DSLRs. Any camera that has a separate AF sensor is potentially affected, but it seems the SLTs, without the moving mirror, are less prone to these problems.

User_Removed
19 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM

Quote: You forgot to add that SLT cameras also suffer from this. It is an atribute of the phase detect AF systems.

They're a subset of DSLRs. Any camera that has a separate AF sensor is potentially affected, but it seems the SLTs, without the moving mirror, are less prone to these problems.

There really is nothing new there.

Even with old-style film SLRs. the camera needed to be manufactured to tolerances that ensured that the image focussed, via the mirror and pentaprism on to the ground glass viewfinder screen equated to the image focussed on to the film plane.

Steppenwolf
20 Jan 2013 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
There really is nothing new there.

Even with old-style film SLRs. the camera needed to be manufactured to tolerances that ensured that the image focussed, via the mirror and pentaprism on to the ground glass viewfinder screen equated to the image focussed on to the film plane.

Yes but the tolerances are much smaller with digital technology. It's much easier to see that something is out of focus with digital, because you can zoom in on it and see what's actually in the pixels, so people become more fussy. The resolution is also higher now with digital technology. The other obvious difference is that, with film, there was the problem that the film itself introduced focus errors because it was not necessarily flat - not to the kind of tolerances that people want nowadays anyway.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.