Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Olympus coming?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Have you seen the Olympus Pen 50th Anniversary site? There are spaces left for more updates and did they not say there was going to be a m4/3 camera soon?

The Sigma DP range are interesting, but would the micro 4/3 system be a good basis for a simple and light compact camera, a step on from cameras like the G10/LX3 but with SLR like performance? A Modern rangefinder?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315366 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

I guess the space will be for there micro 4/3 body.

Would love to see a digital version of this

With a 4/3 sensor a fair bit smaller and a lens equivalent to around 40mm would be lovely.

Not interested in live view but spot metering like on the SP35 would be good Smile

Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

[quote]The Sigma DP range are interesting, but would the micro 4/3 system be a good basis for a simple and light compact camera [quote]
I certainly hope so.
That's where I reckon I'll be spending my money in future.
I like the DP1/2 results but wouldn't buy into a system with only a fixed lens. I'd want flexibility, a DP1 sized body with say a fixed 28mm for reasonable pocketability but the choice of a standard zoom for when you are happy to walk around with a camera hanging from your neck. A second SLR stlye body like the Panasonic G1 which will take the same lenses and a telephoto zoom for wildlife/longer range shooting.
I also want it to have a viewfinder and a flash hotshoe.

A compact and SLR (style) kit that take the same lenses ...would be ideal for me Smile

Last Modified By Rob_Taylor at 26 May 2009 - 11:17 PM
strawman
26 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

I guess that is the problem, we all want different things. I would settle for a choice of either 3 lenses, 24mm, 40mm 90mm or a 24 to 150mm zoom.

But would a zoom make it too big?

Last Modified By strawman at 26 May 2009 - 11:19 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315366 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

Quote: I guess that is the problem, we all want different things

Very true but I would have thought a pretty decent fixed lens 4/3 sensor camera could do pretty well.

Just love these new adapters for the G1/G2

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 May 2009 - 11:27 PM
Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

...would a zoom make it too big?
I wouldn't think so.
I may not be grasping this correctly but look at the pancake lens available for the Pentax system for instance, something on that idea but in M4/3 technology would be very small and slim. ...and then you get an array of zoom lenses that fit the same Pentax body ....again M4/3 zoom equivilents would be smaller and slimmer ....and why not have 2 different body types that take those lenses, one compact, the other DSLR (type)?

If the Olympus M4/3 camera is introduced, will Panasonic M4/3 lenses fit it?

Paul Morgan
26 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

The pancakes are tiny but there not zooms.

The new micro Pany zooms are small though, small enough to fit in a coat pocket.

Quote: I like the DP1/2 results but wouldn't buy into a system with only a fixed lens. I'd want flexibility

I`m kind of thinking it could have a fixed lens, its a Pen site after all Smile

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

I assume micro 4/3 is a standard for the very reason that all M4/3 lenses fit all the M4/3 cameras?

strawman
6 Jun 2009 - 5:30 PM

It is getting interesting, here is a rumour. I like the idea of the kit lens 14-42 (28 to 84mm Eff) of a 17mm f2.8 prime, a lot of what I have been shooting on my compact has been at 17mm. With IS built in and a sensible decision to keep the MP down to 12 this strikes me as the most interesting 4/3 camera yet Smile

And it looks to be more like what a Sigma DP should be. A true rangefinder would be nice, but I guess as Leica have show nit would be expensive. This camera could be a nice alternative.

Paul Morgan
6 Jun 2009 - 8:07 PM

Like the 17 (34mm) its pretty much in keeping with the old 35mm film compacts.

Witchery
Witchery  535 forum posts
22 Jun 2009 - 2:58 PM

That new Olympus Pen is just the prettiest camera since the original. That's my birthday present sorted. Isn't it lovely to see cameras looking good again.

Last Modified By Witchery at 22 Jun 2009 - 2:58 PM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2009 - 3:12 PM

Not just pretty - it combines the advantages of a compact with some of those of a DSLR without the disadvantages of a DSLR. Very attractive newcomer!

strawman
22 Jun 2009 - 3:38 PM

Apparently if you buy it with the 17mm lens you get a viewfinder with it.

Paul Morgan
22 Jun 2009 - 6:33 PM

Quote: Apparently if you buy it with the 17mm lens you get a viewfinder with it

Its just part of the kit John Smile

Some think its expensive compared to the sigma DP1 or what ever.

Really its very cheap especially compared to the M8, the only other offering in its size with swappable lenses and this just offers so much more.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2009 - 7:10 PM

Has anyone applied for the one week trial? I have to say I think it looks a really attractive design posssily because I'm old enough to remember the old PENs. Didn't they do a half size PEN at one stage that let you take 72 shots on a 36 exposure 35mm film?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.