Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Olympus Stylus 1 Bridge camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kodachrome
    12 Feb 2014 - 4:19 PM

Has any one tried out or ownes this camera, as I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and IQ.
    It seems to get good reports from most review sites but a couple had reservations about the lenses edge performance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Feb 2014 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dpr59
    dpr59  47 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2014 - 9:07 PM

Hi Kodachrome
    Just bought a Stylus 1 and after a few days 'playing' and very impressed.
    I've had a couple of OM film cameras in the past, an XA and some Mujis and most recently a UZ620 (absence of a EVF on this wasn't to my liking). So I'm an Olympus fan.
    Having said that this might just be the best Olympus I've had. My priorities where manual focus, EVF and a reasonable zoom range.
    The EVF is excellent, manual focus in all modes and the ability to tailor the function buttons to suit your own preferences.
    Haven't had a chance to explore the full range of the camera in a few days but am very happy with my purchase.
    My only complaint would be the omission of filter threads.
    However the lens cap is a 49mm screw on, so possibly a 49mm tube might resolve this.
    This would limit the lens range I suspect and is not ideal in a camera of this calibre and cost.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 9:30 PM

Quote: Has any one tried out or ownes this camera, as I'm interested in your thoughts on performance and IQ.
    It seems to get good reports from most review sites but a couple had reservations about the lenses edge performance.

I`d expect the edge performance to be down a bit using any lens at its widest setting and widest aperture, not that I have read of any problems with this Stylus 1, from what I`ve read it is generally pretty good.

It will be worth checking out as many reviews and user type blog reviews as you can and then base your final decision on that.

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 6804 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom290 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2014 - 11:49 AM

I bought the OMD EM10 at the Photography show which incidentally I am blown away with but still trying to get my head around all the customisation options. The wifi link to the iPad is really good.

Anyway whilst I was at the Olympus stand I did have a little play with the Stylus 1. Have to say although I haven't seen the IQ off it, in terms of handling it was quite impressive. Feels very high quality in the hand. Not too small to operate the controls but then again I only have average size hands.

I would certainly include it on any shortlist for further investigation if you are looking for a small compact bridge camera. The EVF on the new Olympus camera's I think is first class.

kodachrome
    20 Mar 2014 - 12:46 PM

I have now opted for the Olympus XZ-2 which is a Pen shape and it got better reviews for its optical zoom and IQ. Many reviews said the Stylus 1 gave good or very good image quality, equally most reviews gave the XZ-2 excellent IQ. I suspect though that there won't be much in it in the real world. I can live without the EVF, but I do have the option of getting a clip on EVF, probably look for a used one as and when.

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111517 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2014 - 7:35 PM

Quote: I have now opted for the Olympus XZ-2 which is a Pen shape and it got better reviews for its optical zoom and IQ. Many reviews said the Stylus 1 gave good or very good image quality, equally most reviews gave the XZ-2 excellent IQ. I suspect though that there won't be much in it in the real world. I can live without the EVF, but I do have the option of getting a clip on EVF, probably look for a used one as and when.

I have the XZ-1, a great camera but the lack of a vf really did annoy me at times, especially in bright sunlight. The vf accessory is very expensive so be sure you make the right decision.

kodachrome
    21 Mar 2014 - 7:23 AM

Iv'e seen a couple of EVF on E Bay.

dpr59
    dpr59  47 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Apr 2014 - 9:28 PM

Have just received a kiwifoto tube, 49mm to 55mm. With the filter on it there is slight inference with image at widest angle but disappears by around 35mm (approx). At least now I can get filters on. Also having taken some 450 shots on an orlando holiday. In still mode - image quality as good as any I've had, sequential shooting excellent (ive a fast sd card). Colour rendition accurate. Video a bit grainy, especially in low lighg (however its not a camcorder) and refocus on zoom can be a bit slow. These are, to me, minor points on a splendid versatile camera. I almost waited for a sp100ee but glad i didn't. The Stylus is a well packaged, extremely well built and very competent camera. I would happily purchase again if id had it as a trail unit.

Charliemc55
    Charliemc55 e2 Member 35 forum postsCharliemc55 vcard United Kingdom
    2 Jun 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yup. I got one and happy with it so far. Need to take it out a bit more to check out just how versatile it is.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2014 - 1:26 AM

If any of you are interested I`ve added a couple of LR/Photoshop camera color profiles specific to this camera to the download section.

http://www.ephotozine.com/downloads/lightroom-camera-profiles-448

I still can`t get over just how small this little camera is considering the included lens, its no bigger than my little x10.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 3 Jun 2014 - 1:29 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.