Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New PC, off the shelf or build my own

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2013 - 9:47 PM

have you priced in a new copy of windows as yours will not be able to use on the new build as the parts are entirely different.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Oct 2013 - 9:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2013 - 9:51 PM

Yes I already have a new copy un-used, its part of my build.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
14 Oct 2013 - 10:31 PM

Quote: Yes I already have a new copy un-used....

Windows 98 is it? Least it'll be road legal ....must be 'freeware' by now Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2013 - 11:03 PM

Quote: Yes I already have a new copy un-used....

Windows 98 is it? Least it'll be road legal ....must be 'freeware' by now Wink

Windows 98 ?

What a stupid comment.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
15 Oct 2013 - 5:06 PM

Quote: What a stupid comment.

Oh s-o-r-r-y .......Windows 95? Tongue

Paul Morgan
15 Oct 2013 - 8:26 PM

Quote: Oh s-o-r-r-y .......Windows 95?

Don`t know what your problem is.

Unless you have something worth while to say why bother.

Quote: have you priced in a new copy of windows as yours will not be able to use on the new build as the parts are entirely different

Currently I`m still using XP on my old Dell.

I ran the compatibility check before getting Windows 7 and apparently my old machine will be fine, all it needed was a new graphics card, my old card was no longer supported.

Replaced the PC with a new video card, ran the test again and all the boxes got ticked.

Instead of loading 7 I decided to build a new system instead.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
16 Oct 2013 - 10:49 PM

Quote: Don`t know what your problem is.

No problem at all, always happy to help .....hic! Grin

Paul Morgan
18 Oct 2013 - 2:08 PM

Mother board arrived yesterday, case and optical drive arrived today.

All I need now is the PSU, CPU, Ram, HHD and SSD Smile

Paul Morgan
31 Oct 2013 - 1:14 AM

I`m starting to get impatient now, especially since I now have most of the parts, but I must resist.

This is my parts list, all I need now is the ram and HDD/SSD`S, and so far I`m about 80 under budget.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1Vl8B

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 31 Oct 2013 - 1:16 AM
thewilliam
31 Oct 2013 - 11:20 AM

During a recent clear-out, I did find a road-legal disk copy of Windows 95 if anyone is interested!

Hugo
Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Oct 2013 - 3:11 PM

I built my own...I wanted it to be quiet, add a large heatsink to yours, 30 odd, one aimed at overclocking, in normal use the big heatsink will do a pretty good job of getting rid of CPU heat - so much so that the fan will hardly come on.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Paul Morgan
31 Oct 2013 - 6:08 PM

Quote: During a recent clear-out, I did find a road-legal disk copy of Windows 95 if anyone is interested!

Yet another idiot !

Quote: I built my own...I wanted it to be quiet, add a large heatsink to yours

Yes there are various options for reducing noise, thankfully most middle priced PSU`s are pretty silent these days, as are fans.

Use an SSD for your operating system and green HD`s for your files and folders, these only spin up when need.

Still undecided on the cooler, might be a rad and cooler, could be a larger heat sink and fan or possibly passive cooling only, I`d probably just use the stock cooler to begin with.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2013 - 8:01 PM

Once you get it all built and working Paul be sure to give it a thorough soak test just to make sure all the components work as well as they should, it can save you a lot of headaches in the future......There are lots of programs free to download that will do this for you, the last one I used after a big memory upgrade was something called Heavyload you can run it off a USB if necessary and will really flex your new machines muscle and show up any potential problems.

Paul Morgan
31 Oct 2013 - 9:01 PM

Yes this is planned Ade Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2013 - 8:28 AM

Quote: Yes this is planned Ade

Being as competent as you are Paul I thought it might have been and whilst I didn't want to state the bleeding obvious I did think it worth a mention Blush especially if there are any first time builders keeping an eye on the thread....Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.