Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New PC help please!!

LeighRebecca 7 267 10 England
26 Mar 2009 7:40PM
I've got my shiny new dell pc, and all was going well, but I've just tried to physically transfer my old second internal hard drive into the new pc, and it hasn't been recognised at all.

I thought I would be able to just plug in the hard drive in the second hard drive tray and it would been accessible as is, with all the files available. There are no programs on it, just files and folders.

I assumed it would work like plugging in an external hard drive, which would be seen and accessed easily.

Have I made a wrong assumption, or must I have installed it wrongly? I put it in the only second hard drive bay, and plugged in an available power cable, than plugged the sata cable into the next available sata connection on the motherboard.

Is there a procedure i have missed at all?

Or any other advice to help me sort this out?
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
26 Mar 2009 7:54PM
Could be a hand holding feature of vista. I have done this many times in XP with no problems. Might be worth checking the connections and the bios to see if all the sata ports are enabled.
26 Mar 2009 7:57PM
Have you looked in the BIOS during boot-up to see if it has recognised the drive?

Usually pressing the 'Delete' key at the appropriate time during boot-up gains access to the BIOS set up screen.

The messages on-screen will tell you when and how.

At the first screen choose "Standard CMOS Setup" and press enter.
When the Std Setup screen appears scroll down using the cursor keys to see if the drive is listed.

If it says 'Not Detected' for the channel you have installed the drive in, select the channel and press enter. Follow the instructions to select manually or select 'Auto'

When you have successfully selected and listed the drive then press 'Escape' and 'F10' to save and exit.

The computer should then continue to boot up and the drive should appear in 'My Computer' as usual.

Hope this helps,
jas
Slippery_Jim 6 597 England
26 Mar 2009 7:58PM
The first thing that springs to my mind is this:

There is a small Jumper at the back of your hard disk, it has 3 settings: Master, Slave and Cable Select. You may need to change the jumper setting.

This may be of help
26 Mar 2009 8:10PM
Its a sata drive..... no jumpers.
26 Mar 2009 8:16PM

Quote:Its a sata drive..... no jumpers.

Oops... I missed that bit
26 Mar 2009 8:25PM
Thanks for the help. Just had a guest and couldn't look at replies. Will look at the bios now, after printing your advice, Jas, as I've no idea what to do there!

No, I won't print the advice, I've just remembered my printer isn't installed yet. I'll write it, so it may take a little while!
26 Mar 2009 8:36PM
Just popping out to Tescos for moggie food, will look back later to see how you got on! Smile
26 Mar 2009 8:36PM
Ok, I fell at the first hurdle! I pressed delete whilst it was restarting and it came to a screen saying 'advanced boot options' with lots of options after pressing f8 including repair...safe mode...enable boot logging etc etc, but no "standard CMOS setup".
Did I press delete for too long, or at the wrong time?
26 Mar 2009 8:45PM
On start up there should be a line that tells you which key to press to enter BIOS, as Jas says, it is usually the Del key but could be a different key in some cases

it should also tell you in your motherboard manual assuming you have one, which Dell PC do you have?
26 Mar 2009 8:46PM
Too slow....Smile

Press delete repeatedly after switching on the pc. Easy to miss and if the safe mode screen appears try again.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
26 Mar 2009 8:55PM
When the Dell logo appears on screen there is a note telling which key to press to access the BIOS. It isn't displayed for long and you have to press the right key when the Dell logo is shown. It might take a couple of goes to get it right.
26 Mar 2009 8:57PM
I'm back, thanks everyone, and I saw as it restarted that it was f2 to get to the bios. I've then followed jas's advice and the drive is there with all the files intact and accessible. Hurray!

Thankyou.

I've some software and printers etc to install now... Smile
26 Mar 2009 9:55PM
Hooray!

Glad you got there in the end! Smile
jas
26 Mar 2009 10:18PM
Yes, Thanks Jas, so am I. Everything else seems to be going ok now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.