Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New PC on the way.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
16 Aug 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hello friends,

I've just ordered a new PC from Dell. It comes with Vista Home Premium, which I assume I'll be able to upgrade to the new Windows 7 when it appears.

This is my first new PC for donkeys years! I have photoshop CS, will this work on Vista?

I'm no whizz at Photoshop, so would I be better off buying the latest edition of Elements?

I look forward to your replies. Oh, by the way, the new PC, has 6GB ram I believe - I've only come across 4 GB ram up till now, so it should last me for years!

Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2009 - 11:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 5:24 PM

Pity they couldn't let you have XP. There have been lots of issues with Vista so its trial and error. The upgrade I believe will be at a price though and not free.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 5:26 PM

Quote: which I assume I'll be able to upgrade to the new Windows 7 when it appears.

Currently some are shipping with vouchers for an upgrade at the moment. If you don't have a voucher you'll have to pay for the upgrade.

ckristoff
16 Aug 2009 - 10:27 PM

Ken and Lobsterboy,

thanks for your replies. I'm aware of issues with Vista, but surely they've been solved by now?

Anyway, I only want to perform basic manipulation, so would Elements 7 be good enough? I find the full version of CS, too much for my brain to understand! Smile

Frank.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 12:35 AM

Elements sounds fine to me. They do say that 7 is Vista without the bugs.

malum
malum e2 Member 10620 forum postsmalum vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 12:47 PM

Vista is fine now but I might have waited for Windows 7 if I were you.
Dell ought to give you a free upgrade to 7 when it arrives, call and ask them. if they so no consider buying your PC from elsewhere as other merchants are offering a free upgrade voucher.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2009 - 1:42 PM

Quote: Hello friends,

I've just ordered a new PC from Dell. It comes with Vista Home Premium, which I assume I'll be able to upgrade to the new Windows 7 when it appears.

This is my first new PC for donkeys years! I have photoshop CS, will this work on Vista?

I'm no whizz at Photoshop, so would I be better off buying the latest edition of Elements?

I look forward to your replies. Oh, by the way, the new PC, has 6GB ram I believe - I've only come across 4 GB ram up till now, so it should last me for years!

Frank.

You will be able to upgrade to 7. - This also should be avalable for you to do for free, if it is not stress that it should be and either one will waver. (may take some phone calls to dell and MS)

Photoshop CS and elements will both work. Vista isn't the OS-of-horror that many claim it to be.

And yes the computer should be able to poot along for a good amount of time.

Smile.

ckristoff
17 Aug 2009 - 2:12 PM

Friends,

thanks for all your valuable information, I really do appreciate it!

I'm not too fussed about the OS, although if a free upgrade is available, of course I'll take it.

Basically I don't put too much junk on my pc's, I don't abuse them, so I've been lucky, as my pc's usually last for a long time. I still have my son's first pc when he was doing A levels - it's about 10-11 years old. I use that in my music room, so I'll be putting mp3's and scan slide films into that one.

The new PC I've ordered, seems to be so highly specced, it should see my days out comfortably. It will also be future proof for any camera upgrade.

Frank.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
18 Aug 2009 - 8:02 AM

Unless you use high end PC's on a daily basis I think you'll be surprised at how fast your new one will be, more so when working with photos.

As above any of the PS product will work fine, I have elements and it perfect for my needs, CS4 has so many feature that you will never ever use them.

ckristoff
18 Aug 2009 - 3:45 PM

Hi Britman,

thanks for your comments.

I'm really looking forward to using the new PC. By the sound of it, its probably more advanced than my car! Smile

The current pc I'm using right now, is an old refurbished one I bought for 170. I think it's time to get back in the real world!

Frank.

mike craven
18 Aug 2009 - 11:08 PM

Frank,

You say the Dell has 6GB of memory, check if it is a Vista 64bit system, if so you can use all 6GB if your copy of CS is also 64bit and
not 32bit. If you have got the 32bit version you will only be able to use 3GB of your memory in CS. I used 64bit Vista Ultimate and had no problems, but now on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate which flies with cs4 and 8GB of memory.

Mike

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
stevekhart
19 Aug 2009 - 1:09 AM

Quote: but now on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate which flies with cs4 and 8GB of memory.

That's good to know, tho I'll wait till October before I upgrade that machine - do you know if CS4 64-bit is compatible with Nik and Kodak plug-ins on Win 7? I have to switch between the 2 versions of CS because of that issue currently.

mlewis
mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Aug 2009 - 12:29 PM

Quote: Quote:but now on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate which flies with cs4 and 8GB of memory.That's good to know, tho I'll wait till October before I upgrade that machine - do you know if CS4 64-bit is compatible with Nik and Kodak plug-ins on Win 7? I have to switch between the 2 versions of CS because of that issue currently.

You'll have to check with the plugin makers whether they work with PS CS4 64 bit. It is down to the plugins whether they are compatible or not.

miked70
miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2009 - 10:31 AM

i run xp 64 and have both cs4 32 and 64 on it have not found any plugin that work on 64 but like the speed so one for the other.

ckristoff
23 Aug 2009 - 1:07 PM

Hello friends,

thank you for your additional comments.

The new PC is indeed a 64-bit version - whatever that means! Smile

My photoshop version is the orginal version CS, the one before CS2.
So, I don't know whether my CS is 32 or 64 bit - I need to check the manual. If it isn't 64-bit, would Elements 7 be suitable?

Bear in mind, that I'm still totally green with photoshop, don't understand much about it. I've recently bought a few issues of Photoplus magazine, that should enable to get me more familiar with Canon's DPP. Once I get around to it of course!!

Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.