Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New people to this site

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 9:32AM
Ive noticed much more aggressive replies on these forums to new people asking questions on Photography. When someone asks advice on lens for a new camera and the reply is "google it" and another Asks advice on ISO The first response is "Read the Manual", Have people forgot what it was like starting out, What is a simple and stupid question to you may well be someone asking for help and there first post on these forums.
We see posts on here saying how to give a good critique well the same should apply in the forums, It makes me cringe sometimes the responce I see to a someone posting for the first time.
These forums need new blood to make them active and survive and one line comments are not going to help this, why respond if your not going to be helpful, just close the post and move on, Let those who are going to help and care do so, These forums are for all not the most vocal.
When Ive seen these answers on threads I have wanted to say something but Not wanting to clutter the post with relevantnt information I have not hense this post, Use a little manners and be helpful, If you cannot theN dont bother posting

For the new peeaple please dont judge the one liners as the majority, they are just rude miserable and rude persons that are sometimes the most vocal.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 Sep 2012 9:34AM
Yes, I tend to agree. Saw one this morning that I thought was completely uncalled for.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Sep 2012 9:38AM
A very good point...and one we do want to address - It's difficult to keep an eye on everything. If anyone sees such posts would you mind either stepping into the thread and reminding the person that they shouldn't be unhelpful..or post a report highlighting the thread to the team and we'll do something. Many thanks
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
3 Sep 2012 9:45AM

Quote:the reply is "google it"

I have to say that answer annoys me too.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Sep 2012 9:53AM
Would be good to have a few more active forum watchers...not moderators as such, just people who help nurture a more positive attitude to newcomers. All good in the long term because some new people learn fast and can soon be helping others, and one day maybe the members who initially helped them.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 9:53AM
its a sad fact in life that in modern people hide behind keyboards and act in a way that they never would dare face to face. in the early days i had some pretty agressive responses too on the forum.

i have met many people over the last few years from epz and many of them in real life are totally different in personality than you would assume from contact on line. not always in a bad way i might add. but some members on here who seem brimming with confidence are in fact quite shy people.

i suppose its similar to online dating really, its easier to build an image in cybaspace than in a face to face situation.

we have to try hard not to rise in response to the aggression and keep things more friendly. its not about showing superiority or making others feel small.

i still have difficulty following manuals or googled searches, u tube tutorials etc, i do it, but cant always follow them totally, a few simplified answers may sort some of that out before venturing out there unaided. i still think the quickest way to learn is to be shown. thats why our camera club is popular, because we embrace new members and help them on their journey with as much help as they ask for.

i suppose if you have the time to sit around on the forum all day then some things keep comming up and its probably easy to get frustrated with repetitive situations.

the one thats certain to draw rapid fire is the person who gos out and buys an entry level dslr with kit lens and their first question is how can i be a professional now i have a camera.

so i agree with Kev, we should all be more understanding and patient with new members and maybe they will be more inclined to stay around.

Phil
NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
3 Sep 2012 10:24AM
Sadly the aggressive/arrogant replies seem to be getting more and more, this is a refection of society as a whole, the lack of courtesy and basic manners seem to be lost on a lot of people. I cringe at some of the replies and the derogatory remarks about certain things.............but..................I think the majority of good outweighs the bad on EPZ.........do what I do, ignore the aggressive peeps and focus on building a network of appreciative people............IMHO................GrinGrinGrin

Build on the positive people not the negative............WinkWinkWink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Sep 2012 10:37AM
Whilst I agree in principle, the EPZ forum is relatively mild compared with 8-9 years ago, when (for example) anyone daring to ask about paid work would be stamped on by certain pros! Wink
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
3 Sep 2012 10:38AM
Maybe the one-liners don't have the time to give an 8-paragraph answer?

But yeah, if you can't answer well or politely, don't bother...
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
3 Sep 2012 11:07AM
If you think about it, most people have heard of Google and maybe even other search engines. The fact remains that you can end up buried under an avalanche of conflicting advice at times from Google. It would be reasonable to expect that asking a friendly community of people with a personal interest and experience in photography would be a good way to get the answers you need. Metaphorically slapping people in the face with a dismissive "Google it" or "RTFM" is rude and unwelcoming to say the least.
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 11:22AM

Quote:Whilst I agree in principle, the EPZ forum is relatively mild compared with 8-9 years ago, when (for example) anyone daring to ask about paid work would be stamped on by certain pros! Wink

What went on in the past CB has no relevence

It would be reasonable to expect that asking a friendly community of people with a personal interest and experience in photography would be a good way to get the answers you need.

Covers it for me
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Sep 2012 11:30AM

Quote:Metaphorically slapping people in the face with a dismissive "Google it" or "RTFM" is rude and unwelcoming to say the least.

Exactly, not everyone has the skills needed to find the answers with Google. The newcomers to the hobby don't know how to ask the right question to get google to deliver the right results. I know from experience when looking at music technology related stuff or php programming problems that it's often hard to find the right words to get the necessary answers.

Quote:It would be reasonable to expect that asking a friendly community of people with a personal interest and experience in photography would be a good way to get the answers you need.

Not only photography - we have a rich member base of all aspects of life. Often a question is asked way outside photography and the unwelcoming reply then is usually..."sod off and ask in the correct place" I have had answers to fishkeeping and plumbing questions in the past with replies much quicker than I would have had trying to find the suitable forum and potentially "sod off and google it" replies elsewhere.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Sep 2012 11:41AM
Perhaps those who do tend to give dismissive replies would care to comment. They do have the right of reply! Wink
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 11:41AM
i think twice before speaking in here.sadly. some seem to be amused by others problems too
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 11:42AM
I'd like to think that people posting questions like that would have already tried the manual or googling and not understood it. Sometimes the questions are so simplistic I wonder if they have any comprehension of photography at all, but as its a long long time since I started, I forget that the simplest things can cause a mental block.

I hope I'm never rude though, and if I can't add anything helpful, I'll stay out of it (unless I feel they're getting bad advice).

Nick

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.