Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New people to this site

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 11:49 AM

Got to admit I am guilty of abandoning the forums due to "bad form"...as I cringe at some of the comment/sarcasm. Not a good welcome at all. Sadly the people who hide behind the monitors won't change. Even when given an opportunity to resolve their personal grumbles (take GEA's for example... when Pete created the GEA for those who think they can do it better), the empty vessels take a step back further behind the monitor. I have had questions I sometimes want to ask despite being here years but I will go elsewhere more often than not rather than have sarky responses.

Last Modified By jeanie at 3 Sep 2012 - 11:50 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Sep 2012 - 11:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 11:52 AM

Quote: Sometimes the questions are so simplistic I wonder if they have any comprehension of photography at all, but as its a long long time since I started, I forget that the simplest things can cause a mental block.

I will never forget my first dip into photography. It was while I was at school I had a 126 Instamatic and my mate came in with some photos he'd taken of TV. He mentioned a standard lens and a tripod and 2x converter. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. And this is the thing most of the flippant reply people forget - that at some point they didn't know how to do something either, but with knowledge comes boosted egos.

Likewise I still remember getting my first photo published in a magazine (unpaid). It's a great feeling and no matter how elitist the responder is, he/she should still let the one posting relish that exciting moment of fame or acceptance.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 12:00 PM

If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me (and I'm sure there are many other members who will offer this).

I can't guarantee to be able to help in every case, but I'll certainly try, and I know where to go, if I can't get the info you need.

Nick

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 12:07 PM

Quote: If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me (and I'm sure there are many other members who will offer this).

Only downside to that is the activity goes behind closed doors and the site looks quiet so fewer people get involved and eventually you end up with a ghost town. Introducing PMs so long ago didn't help our forums as much of the discussion goes on hidden with hundreds if not thousands of conversations taking place daily, much that may no doubt benefit other members if continued in the forums.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
3 Sep 2012 - 12:09 PM

well ABOUT time we had a thread like this,

Like many others I when I have the time look in and help where possible,
and as I go along like to give something of my experience's to others

I have a old gits wealth of experience in computing prior to 1980 to running servers and "tinterweb" sites etc.
and almost 50 years in photography both in sales and as a practicing photographer = 10 years FOR money, so I am a little hands on!

I have ceased to use several forum sites because of poor attitude, generally of the know nothings and know-it-alls

BUT there are a lot of mumpy people who's whole life is to be, let me say generously
in a maelstrom of crisis of some form, and can only be bloody minded and mean.... like a ratty skunk!

and you get to the point where you think "can I be bothered" and don't

so well done to KevSB for putting this on the front ring of the boiler, as when you post a reply and you get a plank arguing! just wasting my life

perhaps prior to posting, a popup (sorry I don't like them either) asking do YOU really want to post this! or have you read it and understood what YOU are about to say?

!-)

Last Modified By pabloisme at 3 Sep 2012 - 12:13 PM
NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 12:14 PM

Quote: Introducing PMs so long ago didn't help our forums as much of the discussion goes on hidden with hundreds if not thousands of conversations taking place daily, much that may no doubt benefit other members if continued in the forums.

i know at least 3 secret affairs that use PM as a messaging tool too WinkWink

Phil

779HOB
779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 - 12:17 PM

Quote: If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me

You might want to clarify that and limit it to photogrpahy! People should be able to ask their photography questions in the forums and get sensible answers - by posting them everyone can learn. I think sometimes poeple doen't search the forums for answers, many of the questions ahvve been asked a lot in the past.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
3 Sep 2012 - 12:24 PM

Quote: The fact remains that you can end up buried under an avalanche of conflicting advice at times from Google.

And you don't on here?? Wink

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
3 Sep 2012 - 12:36 PM

Well....yes. But hopefully it's not so much of an impersonal avalanche. More like a friendly embrace of conflicting advice and opinions. Grin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53617 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 12:55 PM

Quote: ...I will never forget my first dip into photography...... mentioned a standard lens and a tripod and 2x converter. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about.....

Ain't that the truth, the first thing to explain is often a common frame of reference before you actually start answering the question.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 1:39 PM

OK, so apart from hand-wringing and praying for fundamental changes in human behaviour (well that of some humans anyway!), what are we actually going to do about it? Smile

My suggestion: If anyone sees a response, to a newcomer, which is on the face of it rude or unhelpful, on the post concerned click Options -> Report Error/Abuse and thus bring it to the attention of the EPZ Team.

In turn the Team should bear in mind the old proverb: "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"............ and be completely unhesitating in deleting the offending post.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 1:45 PM

then we organise a Peak meet and push offenders off Curbar edge like dead puppies.

talking of which its soon time for another Peak meet isnt it Chaps. luvely inversions and stuff

Phil

Stephen_w3d
3 Sep 2012 - 1:49 PM

Hi, It would be nice to be able to search the forums to see if a question has been asked before.

Steve

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 1:54 PM

Quote: Hi, It would be nice to be able to search the forums to see if a question has been asked before.

Steve

Hi Steve, you can along the menu Tab at the top of the page you will see a magnifying Glass icon, that is the search , its quite a good one but I do think it needs to be more Obvous, even saying Search large font would be quite good

Last Modified By KevSB at 3 Sep 2012 - 1:55 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56450 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2012 - 1:56 PM

Agreed - on many sites, the magnifying glass is next to the box where I enter the search term and I press the magnifying glass to start the search.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.