Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New people to this site

jeanie e2
10 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 11:49AM
Got to admit I am guilty of abandoning the forums due to "bad form"...as I cringe at some of the comment/sarcasm. Not a good welcome at all. Sadly the people who hide behind the monitors won't change. Even when given an opportunity to resolve their personal grumbles (take GEA's for example... when Pete created the GEA for those who think they can do it better), the empty vessels take a step back further behind the monitor. I have had questions I sometimes want to ask despite being here years but I will go elsewhere more often than not rather than have sarky responses.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Sep 2012 11:52AM

Quote:Sometimes the questions are so simplistic I wonder if they have any comprehension of photography at all, but as its a long long time since I started, I forget that the simplest things can cause a mental block.

I will never forget my first dip into photography. It was while I was at school I had a 126 Instamatic and my mate came in with some photos he'd taken of TV. He mentioned a standard lens and a tripod and 2x converter. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. And this is the thing most of the flippant reply people forget - that at some point they didn't know how to do something either, but with knowledge comes boosted egos.

Likewise I still remember getting my first photo published in a magazine (unpaid). It's a great feeling and no matter how elitist the responder is, he/she should still let the one posting relish that exciting moment of fame or acceptance.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 12:00PM
If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me (and I'm sure there are many other members who will offer this).

I can't guarantee to be able to help in every case, but I'll certainly try, and I know where to go, if I can't get the info you need.

Nick
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Sep 2012 12:07PM

Quote:If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me (and I'm sure there are many other members who will offer this).

Only downside to that is the activity goes behind closed doors and the site looks quiet so fewer people get involved and eventually you end up with a ghost town. Introducing PMs so long ago didn't help our forums as much of the discussion goes on hidden with hundreds if not thousands of conversations taking place daily, much that may no doubt benefit other members if continued in the forums.
pabloisme e2
4 566 England
3 Sep 2012 12:09PM
well ABOUT time we had a thread like this,

Like many others I when I have the time look in and help where possible,
and as I go along like to give something of my experience's to others

I have a old gits wealth of experience in computing prior to 1980 to running servers and "tinterweb" sites etc.
and almost 50 years in photography both in sales and as a practicing photographer = 10 years FOR money, so I am a little hands on!

I have ceased to use several forum sites because of poor attitude, generally of the know nothings and know-it-alls

BUT there are a lot of mumpy people who's whole life is to be, let me say generously
in a maelstrom of crisis of some form, and can only be bloody minded and mean.... like a ratty skunk!

and you get to the point where you think "can I be bothered" and don't

so well done to KevSB for putting this on the front ring of the boiler, as when you post a reply and you get a plank arguing! just wasting my life

perhaps prior to posting, a popup (sorry I don't like them either) asking do YOU really want to post this! or have you read it and understood what YOU are about to say?

!-)
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 12:14PM

Quote:Introducing PMs so long ago didn't help our forums as much of the discussion goes on hidden with hundreds if not thousands of conversations taking place daily, much that may no doubt benefit other members if continued in the forums.

i know at least 3 secret affairs that use PM as a messaging tool too WinkWink

Phil
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 12:17PM

Quote:If anyone has any questions they feel too embarrassed to ask, they can always PM me

You might want to clarify that and limit it to photogrpahy! People should be able to ask their photography questions in the forums and get sensible answers - by posting them everyone can learn. I think sometimes poeple doen't search the forums for answers, many of the questions ahvve been asked a lot in the past.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 12:24PM

Quote:The fact remains that you can end up buried under an avalanche of conflicting advice at times from Google.

And you don't on here?? Wink
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
3 Sep 2012 12:36PM
Well....yes. But hopefully it's not so much of an impersonal avalanche. More like a friendly embrace of conflicting advice and opinions. Grin
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 12:55PM

Quote: ...I will never forget my first dip into photography...... mentioned a standard lens and a tripod and 2x converter. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about.....

Ain't that the truth, the first thing to explain is often a common frame of reference before you actually start answering the question.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Sep 2012 1:39PM
OK, so apart from hand-wringing and praying for fundamental changes in human behaviour (well that of some humans anyway!), what are we actually going to do about it? Smile

My suggestion: If anyone sees a response, to a newcomer, which is on the face of it rude or unhelpful, on the post concerned click Options -> Report Error/Abuse and thus bring it to the attention of the EPZ Team.

In turn the Team should bear in mind the old proverb: "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"............ and be completely unhesitating in deleting the offending post.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 1:45PM
then we organise a Peak meet and push offenders off Curbar edge like dead puppies.

talking of which its soon time for another Peak meet isnt it Chaps. luvely inversions and stuff

Phil
3 Sep 2012 1:49PM
Hi, It would be nice to be able to search the forums to see if a question has been asked before.

Steve
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 1:54PM

Quote:Hi, It would be nice to be able to search the forums to see if a question has been asked before.

Steve

Hi Steve, you can along the menu Tab at the top of the page you will see a magnifying Glass icon, that is the search , its quite a good one but I do think it needs to be more Obvous, even saying Search large font would be quite good
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 1:56PM
Agreed - on many sites, the magnifying glass is next to the box where I enter the search term and I press the magnifying glass to start the search.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.