Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New Photo Magazine

csurry
12 9.2k 92
17 Nov 2010 7:26PM
So has anyone seen the new "Advanced Photographer" magazine?

Did anyone actually know it was being launched, or would be in the shops today?

To give you an idea of what is in it:
A review of panoramic heads
A review of some panorama stitching software
Review of some "bokeh" software

Camera Test
Pentax 645D
Canon 5D MkII (by an owner)

Technique
A couple of post-processing tutorials
Panoramas
Wide Aperture
Lighting tutorial

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
17 Nov 2010 7:30PM
No
Obviously Pete has no connections with it otherwise a mention would no doubt have appeared here, somewhere, on epz Wink

I am now regularly buying the Monthly BJP but have to travel to another town to get it, so I do not hold out much hope of finding this new magazine where I am
csurry
12 9.2k 92
17 Nov 2010 7:32PM
I got a copy from WHSmith.

It is edited by one Will Cheung.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
17 Nov 2010 7:37PM

Quote:I am now regularly buying the Monthly BJP but have to travel to another town to get it, so I do not hold out much hope of finding this new magazine where I am

BJP is looking great these days just a tad too expensive though
Will's magazine published by Bright fills a gap in the market. One that's never been properly filled as long as I can remember. It's a mid point between the usual amateur products like Practical Photography, Photography Monthly, Digital SLR Photography and the pro titles like BJP And Professional Photography. In the early days Digital Photographer did this well but seemed to lose its way.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
17 Nov 2010 7:38PM

Quote:It is edited by one Will Cheung.

Which makes it even odder no mention of it on epz !!

It is not one of the "specials" exclusive to WHS as a tutorial type publication rather than a weekly / monthly magazine ?
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
17 Nov 2010 7:42PM

Quote:
I am now regularly buying the Monthly BJP but have to travel to another town to get it, so I do not hold out much hope of finding this new magazine where I am

A subscription will apparently save you 29%and a dozen journeys to another town. Smile
AlanPerkins 9 472 England
17 Nov 2010 7:43PM

Quote:It is not one of the "specials" exclusive to WHS as a tutorial type publication rather than a weekly / monthly magazine ?

No - it[s going to be monthly. They're already advertising for subscriptions and have a website set up.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
17 Nov 2010 8:07PM
Not sure where it will be sold as I was in Halifax today I had access to WHS, but I guess the real test is to get it in to a number of stores for greatest access/coverage of the market.

As Pete said aimed at those that want to move on from the 12-month cycle of the other mags, but not necessarily wanting to turn pro. I think that the key differentiator here could be lost if they start to run lots of make money from your camera type articles as then it will start to cross that line.

Will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Showed the copy to someone at work that I guess would be classed as the target market and key point made was around the plug-ins being reviewed being over-priced and easily replicated in programs like PS without the need to spend $200! So probably needs a better spread of price ranges, or even an "if you're too lazy to figure out the actions to do this yourself..."
f8 11 9.2k 22 England
17 Nov 2010 11:03PM
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 11:11PM
I was interested in the new style BJP, but feel it has somewhat fallen on its sword. the 1st issue was great then I feel the quality of photography has fallen away and what is left is a magazine I struggle to connect with. Perhaps this new Mag is it.
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
18 Nov 2010 12:13PM
just picked up my copy from Tesco's...will be saving it for in-flight reading tomorrow...always good to have something new on the market, if nothing else to challenge the others Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.