Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NEW Photography Choice Gallery & Voting System (BETA)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72344 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
17 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Today, we are introducing a new voting system into the gallery that is currently in BETA. Compared to the Readers' Choice voting system, the Photography Choice voting system allows members to not only vote a photo up, but also down. Therefore, if you feel a photo is not well taken or lacks in some way you can express your opinion with a down vote.

This new two way vote system also hides the list of voters to prevent any biased voting which we hope will encourage votes based only on the merits of the photograph.

When you upload you will now have the choice to choose which type of voting you would like to use on that photo. There is also a new option in My Settings which allows you to set the default voting option for the photos you upload.

This new voting system also comes with a new gallery and new award. You will be able to filter the photos in the gallery by voting type by going to the Gallery and clicking on either 'Readers' Choice Gallery' (original gallery) or 'Photography Choice Gallery' (new gallery).

As mentioned, this new voting system is currently in BETA so we can see how everyone uses it and see if there is any room for improvement, and if we should continue developing it or scrap it. If you have any suggestions or would like to give us your feedback about the system, please create a report.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 17 May 2010 - 2:38 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidbailie
davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

Quote: This new two way vote system also hides the list of voters to prevent any biased voting which we hope will encourage votes based only on the merits of the photograph.

How on earth is the new system going prevent biased voting - the one thing that May inhibit bias is that the biased individual can be identified???

bit baffling really

db

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm not too sure this has been well thought out. A similar system is used on photo.net and it just encourages people to down vote other photographers image goes down a page and causes I'll feeling particularly as it's annonymous. If you down vote you should have to say why even if the identity is annonymous then it can be vetted a bit like the usefull critique.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

Quote: When you upload you will now have the choice to choose which type of voting you would like to use on that photo. There is also a new option in My Settings which allows you to set the default voting option for the photos you upload.

Early days, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to receive `BAD' votes? Sad

I think this will deter people from trying to give constructive criticism.

clicknimagine
17 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

no not necessarily, biasness can not be prevented 100%, but in this way it can at least be prevented 85% and above, it is a very good idea, and it may be even better if you can not see the name of the member at the time of voting...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

This is what exactly they do on YouTube these days - the star rating system was done away with recently (because of abuse) and I assume EPZ has copied the "thumbs up/thumbs down" system now in place . As a result of the change on YouTube a high proportion of users simply disable voting on their video uploads.

I feel, as we are tinkering with the system, there should be a third choice on EPZ.......... to disable voting altogether.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 17 May 2010 - 12:11 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Quote: I'm not too sure this has been well thought out. A similar system is used on photo.net and it just encourages people to down vote other photographers image goes down a page and causes I'll feeling particularly as it's annonymous. If you down vote you should have to say why even if the identity is annonymous then it can be vetted a bit like the usefull critique.

well that saved me a lot of typing Smile

Picture it - someone takes a dislike to someone and so systematically down-votes on all their pictures, with absolutely no comeback - and yes, there will be people like that (though a minority).

an option might be that up-votes could be anonymous but down-votes should be in the open and require a comment..

Stephen

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Quote: an option might be that up-votes could be anonymous but down-votes should be in the open and require a comment..

I foresee lots of "he keeps down voting me" rows and reciprocal down clicking with that system.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

If an opt-out on voting (of any kind) is permitted it may help to reduce the complaints.

At the very least there will be an answer....................... "If you don't like the voting system, just opt out of it". Smile

randomrubble
17 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quote: an option might be that up-votes could be anonymous but down-votes should be in the open and require a comment..

I foresee lots of "he keeps down voting me" rows and reciprocal down clicking with that system.

It's a funny one, the voting thing... On the one hand I think with any scoring system anonymous voting has a lot going for it, on the other hand with the 'EPZ classic' system e2 users, being able to see who votes on thier work, can find other portfolios by people with a similar outlook moer easily from the voters on thier own stuff which is an advantage to the community nature of the site.

Picture_Newport
17 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Doubt many will volanteer thier photographs to be 'down voted'. Seems a bit strange to think that members would want to upload an image to see if others don't like it. Most just upload to share their images with the world.

The sites membership ranges from absolute beginers through to renowned professionals. I'm sure the pros would be able to take the occasional knock on the chin, but doubt that an absolute beginner would be encouraged to continue uploading if their images start getting negative votes. Surley the encouragement of constructive crit is still the way forward.

Paul

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England

Quote: I'm not too sure this has been well thought out. A similar system is used on photo.net and it just encourages people to down vote other photographers image goes down a page and causes I'll feeling particularly as it's annonymous. If you down vote you should have to say why even if the identity is annonymous then it can be vetted a bit like the usefull critique.

Actually, I imagine this has been extremely well thought out. I'm sure the team don't want a repeat of the old problems, but there have been many calls recently for a return to this type of voting. I've been here over 9 years now, and I've seen this talked about more times than I care to think. I think it's a brave decision and look forward to seeing it used sensibly.

If someone starts to abuse the system, then the team will probably take action. Perhaps automatically monitor everyone's voting, and if someone repeatedly gives low scores to the same person, give all theirs a 0 as well Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points

What I fear is if someone doesn't like a particular genre, feels a subject is overdone etc they will give a negative vote without giving the reason. Images that challenge the boundaries will I fear suffer and we wont get the innovative work, just the "safe" images. Anyone who saw the programme on Picasso last night will know how his cubist work was first received.

On the other site I mentioned anumber of contributors have either stopped contributing or disabled their ratings because of targeted abuse of the system by annonymous ratings.

All I'm saying be carefull before changing to a system which could prove more divisive than the one we have already.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Well I've already set the new beta version in 'My Settings' to a least give it a try
(fraid I'd already used todays upload so cant try it till tomorrow although you wouldnt know it as all 63,000 pages of images look like they were uploaded with -votes switched off rather than functionality not available) Wink

Carabosse
17 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

For some, I imagine just one negative vote will be enough - at the very least - to result in the image being deleted, and - at the extreme - a flounce out of the site. Grin

I fear this system has been copied from other sites without a great deal of consideration as to the consequences.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.