Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NEW Photography Choice Gallery & Voting System (BETA)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:28 PM

Quote: It’ll be interesting to see an image appear in the Photography Choice gallery after picking up 30 aggregate ‘up’ votes only to see it removed by the next ‘down’ vote & then reappear etc etc!

Thinking that - people could just keep doing that on people's pictures for a joke.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 May 2010 - 1:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sut68
sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:29 PM

Quote: It isn't a great picture so I suppose that as many people have voted it down as voted for it. As I said - interesting

Ah, but how do you know that anyone's voted Andy??? Wink The interface is so unintuitive that one can only guess that is the case!!!

franken
franken e2 Member 123143 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Yes, it's all relative and dependant on individual judges, so.......the votes on here don't really mean anything do they Tongue

Not really, if you like an image and it works for you then how many votes it gets is not that important. ( to me anyhow) Although they are a guide of how others interpret your images.

Something that came to light a few weeks ago was as to how many people have you down as favourited and as to how they relate to votes on your uploads. I was surprised to find that I was favourited by 93 people but I've never had anything like that as votes on my uploads.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 17 May 2010 - 1:30 PM
Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Can anyone explain what the point is? The only thing that would actually be interesting is WHY someone would vote/has voted a photo down so that the person who uploaded it can learn from it. But just deducting votes...I mean, what is the POINT?! Is it really just about who gets the most votes?? It is the comments I care about.

Exactly, votes with no comments are just lazy and unhelpful.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8498 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom

[quote]I don't quite see the point of the new system. Voting a photo DOWN? If you don't like it - just don't vote, but don't dishearten somebody simply because they feel that the photo isn't good enough, by making them minus votes. Somebody who doesn't have a great photo will then end up on -4 votes, for example. How do you think that makes them feel Sad
/quote]

I agree Jonah. There's a picture in the gallery from a new member, just joined today and so far its reached -3 votes. How is that encourage them to stay on the site?

If some people really don't want votes, just give them the option to turn them off, then everybody should be happy (well they won't as this is Epz, but....)

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:30 PM

I have had 2 people PM me to ask how the new system works. As most people do not look in the Forums has a PM been sent to everybody explaining what is happening.

User_Removed

Also - has anyone noticed that your existing uploads are no longer able to receive votes under the current system..????

The proposed system is a BETA Davis - QED, the existing system remains the approved method.

So why have my images lost the ability to be voted on?

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: I think the choice suggests that you also opt out of the RC if you choose the new style, so I think they have thought that bit out.

Nope, there is a new Photography Choice award & gallery for images with an aggregate of 30 & over

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:31 PM

Quote: This is an interesting one. I uploaded a picture this morning and decided to give the new system a go.
So far 50 viewings, 23 unique viewings, 7 comments and 0 votes.
It isn't a great picture so I suppose that as many people have voted it down as voted for it. As I said - interesting.

Its actually had 8 votes - 4 each way..but how would you know that?

I should think a lot of people are just playing with voting down at the moment.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:32 PM

Quote: So why have my images lost the ability to be voted on?

Dont think they have Mike - just voted on one of yours with no problems.

User_Removed
17 May 2010 - 1:33 PM

Hmmmm... How Chris. When I look at another PF, the Vote button is gone.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 May 2010 - 1:37 PM
lobsterboy
17 May 2010 - 1:35 PM

The up and down arrows are on all shots but only the up one is enabled on the shots in the old gallery.

barbarahirst
barbarahirst e2 Member 6barbarahirst vcard United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2010 - 1:35 PM

It would have been usefull if we had been told about this new system of voting
Rather than it just happening !!
Barbs

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Also - has anyone noticed that your existing uploads are no longer able to receive votes under the current system..????

yup. did now. Looks like something's going really wrong.

edit : wait, I can indeed vote for Mike's older images (up only), as lobsterboy indicated. So I suppose the vote button just doesn't show anymore when you look at your own uploads. If I remember right before it showed, allthough you couldn't actually vote.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 17 May 2010 - 1:38 PM
ValSaxby
ValSaxby e2 Member 9139 forum postsValSaxby vcard United Kingdom
17 May 2010 - 1:37 PM

If this is the way the voting system is going I would at least like to see how many + votes and how many - votes on an image.

Maybe voting should be linked to comments - so whichever way you vote you have to leave a comment. I am guilty of voting and running often due to lack of time - but maybe I shouldnt get away with using this as an excuse for not commenting. Wink

I like to get votes on my shots but like to see comments/crits even more .......Grin

Val

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.