Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

NEW Photography Choice Gallery & Voting System (BETA)

DRicherby e2
6 269 725 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 8:30PM
I looked at a couple of photos that I'm fairly sure were uploaded with +/- voting (and which I'd not voted for) and they only had the single "vote" button. Maybe that'll get sorted out over the next few days. Anyway, I was only asking out of curiousity -- I've no desire for negative votes. Smile

Dave.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_eb e2
6 345 8 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:26PM

Quote:roxpix wrote:
Officially sanctioned non constructive praise is as harmful to the learning curve as non constructive criticism
I agree but there's not a lot you can do about that. If you forget all about votes and just look at the comments on photos, you'll see large amounts of non-constructive praise (my pet hate is all the `superb detail' comments you see on birds and flowers that are barely in focus), some constructive praise and criticism but very little non-constructive criticism. Given that it's impossible to eliminate all non-constructive comments, eliminating the non-constructive criticism is a reasonable compromise.

Dave.

Agreed Dave, however the giving of "Constructive Critique" is also a frustrating system...I have given many many Con Crit's as I too dislike the praise for praise sake, if an image is lacking imho I do make a comment as I see it and it is honest and genuine, I have had 3 people respond to this in the way it was intended and they as I have over the years accepted the CC from others which has helped me, however the system only works as well as it is used... I will/do use it honestly however dozens of people I have CC on their images have not been so forthcoming with an acknowledgement of honest opinion...
this will be the case for absolutely everything on the site as some can give and take honestly, others give purely to take back

Its a never ending circle!
steve_eb e2
6 345 8 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:35PM

Quote: I like knowing who's clicked my pictures because I find it's often the case that their tastes are similar to my own - I've discovered a number of my favourite epz photographers this way.

I'll never understand all the fuss about this clique business - if people want to form little groups of their own then let them. It's all so utterly inconsequential.

Totally agree Spaceman....I have made many friends this way....and none of us click clique we are all abundantly honest and up front and all still get on lol

All this change for what seems to me to be a couple of minority groups and each end of the spectrum...observation made before Christmas was that it will all be dressed up differently but basically be the same problems in different clothes....I do hope its all worth it?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
19 Jan 2011 11:37PM
I keep a list of all those who haven't clicked my photos, so it's very important to me.
steve_eb e2
6 345 8 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:45PM
@ StrayCat .....dont get your comment?
snapbandit e2
10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
19 Jan 2011 11:48PM

Quote:I keep a list of all those who haven't clicked my photos

first against the wall when you come to power WinkWinkWink....eh Denny!! nice one ROFL
GrinSmileGrinSmileGrinSmile
DRicherby e2
6 269 725 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 11:59PM
I tried to get off your list, StrayCat, but you don't have any photos for me to click!

Dave.
Is it possible to see who votes for your images because i noticed yesterday when going on to another photographers profile that their voters had become visable to me
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
20 Jan 2011 11:12AM

Quote:Is it possible to see who votes for your images
It certainly is - you need to join e2 though .

When viewing your own photos you will be able to see who has awarded your photo with a Reader's choice vote to say they liked it.

Quote:Is it possible to see who votes for your imagesIt certainly is - you need to join e2 though.

When viewing your own photos you will be able to see who has awarded your photo with a Reader's choice vote to say they liked it.

Thanks Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
21 Jan 2011 11:46AM
I was thinking about comments. If some helpful points were automatically included in the Comment Box which could be tabbed down to it might prompt people to give more constructive crits other than just "nice image". e.g.

Content:
Composition:
Impact:
etc. etc. (but not too many that it becomes a chore)

The headings could be put a few lines down to leave room for a short comment if that's all a viewer wants to contribute.

Quite often the best images don't follow the "rules" of i.e. thirds, sharpness, colour balance, so if something's not perfect technically but just a beautiful image I'm not bothered about that stuff. Mind you, it's not always possible to give more than a cursory comment due to time constraints so it's just an option to be used if the viewer can or wants to.
DRicherby e2
6 269 725 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2011 1:40PM
Sounds quite fiddly to me but it would be great if we could encourage more comments beyond the "nice pic" kind. I notice that the guidelines next to the comment box have disappeared but they clearly weren't successful in promoting this kind of comment. Smile

Perhaps the best way is to try to leave more constructive comments of a few sentences and hope that people follow suit. My experience is that such comments are usually appreciated by the photographer. A handful of people have reacted badly to being told that their photo is anything less than perfect but the vast majority are grateful for helpful suggestions.

Dave.
23 Jan 2011 6:56PM
Not sure Im altogether convinced that the changes on this site are for the better?
DRicherby e2
6 269 725 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 6:59PM
That's best discussed in the V5 upgrade thread . This thread is for discussing a specific change to the voting system that was trialled a couple of months ago.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.