Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New School

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jonah794
    jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 9:20 PM

I'm starting my new school on Monday, a secondary school. I'm entering into Year 9 (fourth form, age 13-14)....

I don't really know what to expect from a big school, I guess it won't have the same close-knit sense of community that my old school had, and the same friendly atmosphere.

anyway, I want to start a photography club, but I don't really know how to run it, or how to find things to do every single week for kids who may not be as keen and interested in it as I am... anyone have any ideas? Grin

Thanks
    Jonah

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Sep 2010 - 9:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrsS
    MrsS  74527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 9:27 PM

The way I run my photography clubs at my school (granted the children are younger than you) is to provide a theme for each session e.g. Blue, flowers, texture etc., with a few days "thinking time". There is then some time to produce images and access to the ICT suite with picasa 3 for basic editing.

Print out finished images, find a place to display them and allow voting from the rest of the school.

Finally, create a League table of leading photographers and persuade the powers that be to provide a small prize (book token etc) each term or half-term.

Just a thought Smile

Fran x

jonah794
    2 Sep 2010 - 9:31 PM

Thanks Fran that sounds good - but I'm not sure a voting system would go down well there. There are so many boys...

I know the school do showcase good photography from pupils.

I like the idea of a league table, and the boys doing it would be my age, so not too old.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 9:32 PM

Nah big school is really scary and full of bigger kids that will take every opportunity to beat you up Wink

Ooops sorry, not trying to scare you Tongue

If someone asks if you want to see the goldfish in the boys toilets just say NO!

Seriously I am sure you will be fine. Like Fran says choose a theme, don't make it too specific that gives everyone a chance and will mean that people are less likely to lose interest. Also try to promote discussion on images as much as taking them. See if an art teacher or someone can help with ideas and promoting the club.

Good luck at the new school.

jonah794
    2 Sep 2010 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the advice Cheryl - I'll steer clear of the toilets then.... Wink Anyway - there is one art teacher who is interested in my photography - he may even remember me showing him my website on open day!! Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.