Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Sigma Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    15 Apr 2010 - 4:03 PM

After a lot of deliberation, I have decided to splash the cash and treat myself. What I'm looking for is a general walkabout lens and something to complement my good old canon 50mm F1.8 and also replace the kit 18-55mm. BTW I have a Canon 350D

The Lenses I'm looking at are:
    Sigma 18-200 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS or maybe 18 - 250 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS HSM
    Being a walkabout lens the image stabiliser looks a benefit

and the other purchase is
    Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC

at a joint purchase price of 700 this is about my budget
    All comments and alternatives gratefully received

Thanks
    Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Apr 2010 - 4:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dlegros
    dlegros  12217 forum posts England
    15 Apr 2010 - 6:05 PM

I have both these lenses for Nikon.

The 18-200 is a great walkabout lens, quite a lot of my photography over the last year has been with this lens (except still-life and macro).

The 18-50 I have just got and it went out for it's first outing today (to Twycross Zoo) - not had a good look at the images yet, but in use it is lightning fast to focus with enough torque on the zoom ring to render the lock-button unnecessary.

HTH

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2010 - 12:40 PM

Why duplicate the ranges. If you want to go for the Sigma 18-50mm why not look at the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM which is a terrific lens and still around your 700 budget total.

The 18-200mm is a good walkabout lens but if you went for the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM , you would have image stabilisiation,macro and very slightly wider angle. Coupled with the canon above, you would have two lenses, both with image stabilisation. These two would be a little over budget (about 60) but the canon knocks the spots off the Sigma and I've used both. You would also have a continuous range from 17mm to 300mm.

If you want to see what the canon performs like look here

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.