Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New Sigma Lenses

15 Apr 2010 4:03PM
After a lot of deliberation, I have decided to splash the cash and treat myself. What I'm looking for is a general walkabout lens and something to complement my good old canon 50mm F1.8 and also replace the kit 18-55mm. BTW I have a Canon 350D

The Lenses I'm looking at are:
Sigma 18-200 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS or maybe 18 - 250 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS HSM
Being a walkabout lens the image stabiliser looks a benefit

and the other purchase is
Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC

at a joint purchase price of 700 this is about my budget
All comments and alternatives gratefully received

Thanks
Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dlegros e2
12 217 England
15 Apr 2010 6:05PM
I have both these lenses for Nikon.

The 18-200 is a great walkabout lens, quite a lot of my photography over the last year has been with this lens (except still-life and macro).

The 18-50 I have just got and it went out for it's first outing today (to Twycross Zoo) - not had a good look at the images yet, but in use it is lightning fast to focus with enough torque on the zoom ring to render the lock-button unnecessary.

HTH
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
16 Apr 2010 12:40PM
Why duplicate the ranges. If you want to go for the Sigma 18-50mm why not look at the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM which is a terrific lens and still around your 700 budget total.

The 18-200mm is a good walkabout lens but if you went for the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM , you would have image stabilisiation,macro and very slightly wider angle. Coupled with the canon above, you would have two lenses, both with image stabilisation. These two would be a little over budget (about 60) but the canon knocks the spots off the Sigma and I've used both. You would also have a continuous range from 17mm to 300mm.

If you want to see what the canon performs like look here

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.