Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Templates

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Phlodge
    Phlodge  7
    16 Aug 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi there

Any chance of getting some new templates, I am due to renew my Foliopic subscription and have therefore spent several weeks looking at the other options in the marketplace and their flexibility. I have to say that there are many I have seen that appear to be better and for around the same price. (many are cheaper)

I have another site with Clikpic, so I am leaning towards them, they are cheaper with considerably more flexibility when it comes to bespoke designs.

I am however undecided as to where to go, some new templates and greater flexibility would certainly help my decision.

I look forward to a response

Regards

Phil.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Aug 2012 - 12:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    16 Aug 2012 - 3:03 PM

wats a template

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2012 - 4:16 PM

Quote: wats a template

It's a style / design /look of the web site - that you add content into

Quote: Any chance of getting some new templates,

What kind of ideas would you like us to introduce?

Phlodge
    Phlodge  7
    16 Aug 2012 - 5:03 PM

Hi

When you look at the array of customer sites on Foliopic they all seem a bit samey, when you look at say Clikpic, Zenfolio or Smugmug customer sites you seem to have a lot more choices and options, thereby giving more of a unique and bespoke look.

I have nor the time or skill to mess around on Joomla or wordpress let alone Dreamweaver, they are for people who listened more at school then I did, but I do like to have a play with those sites where templates are available and you have a high degree of flexibility, Clikpic is one of those albeit a bit messy. I am currently playing with Zenfolio and liking it, in particular the ability to make your own custom themes.

I subscribed to Foliopic 12 months ago and I dont seem to recall any additional templates being added to the list during that time, so I guess what I am saying is that the choices in my opinion need a freshen up.

Thanks

micra-chameleon
    micra-chameleon e2 Member 3micra-chameleon vcard United Kingdom
    17 Aug 2012 - 11:38 PM

Foliopic template I found can be changed personalized and manipulated quite a lot.

I don't think my site looks like many other Foliopic sites!

Mike

collywobles
    18 Aug 2012 - 8:34 AM

Quote: I don't think my site looks like many other Foliopic sites!

Did look at your site Mike and have to say it is a little different from the standard Foliopic offers. You say you can

" can be changed personalized and manipulated quite a lot".

How would one go about doing this, can you let us into your secret. I am in the same position as Phil in just about to renew with a website so any help you cn provide would be great.

€olin

micra-chameleon
    18 Aug 2012 - 1:17 PM

Quote: How would one go about doing this, can you let us into your secret. €olin

No quick answer, but starting at site template menu you can 'duplicate' then you will be able to 'edit'.
    Then go into edit assets and click on the edit pencil icon (css) which will bring up a list of changeable fields to change the look of the template. There is a simple editor & advanced editor which you can use if you have css knowledge.

A bit of experimentation is needed so have two versions of the template - one master and one copy to work on.

Hope this gives you a start and makes sense!

Mike

Phlodge
    Phlodge  7
    18 Aug 2012 - 3:48 PM

How good are you Mike.

I never knew that and it opens up a whole new world of options

Clearly you seem to know what your doing and I agree your site does stand out as its different, i still think many on foliopic are samey though.

I wonder if you can help me with this ..

If you get the chance, have a look at www.philhodkinsonimages.com

I have put together a montage which is displayed on the home page, I like the look of this and will use it as i develop my website
    The only problem however seems to be that the home page montage seems to be live in that if you click on it, the album opens up that this montage is stored in ie Everything else
    I dont know a way of getting the montage onto the home page without putting it into an album, which in turn appears on the website
    Is there a way to display this montage and any other images without a click/link being attributed to it or having to include in a gallery/album thats visible

Thanks for your help

Phil.

micra-chameleon
    18 Aug 2012 - 10:00 PM

Quote: The only problem however seems to be that the home page montage seems to be live in that if you click on it, the album opens up that this montage is stored in ie Everything else.

Afraid I don't know for certain, but you could try using the content block. Not easy as some things on Foliopic but there is a guide in the help section and also a thread "uploading images to a custom page"

Hope thats is of some help

Mike

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2012 - 10:14 AM

Quote: I never knew that and it opens up a whole new world of options

The idea has always been to give a variety of templates to get you started and then the flexibility of totally redesigning that template. But to do this you do need to know a bit about CSS. This is the bit where you control colour, size and stle of text as well as space around it. Also area sizes, margins, padding etc. the whole look becomes totally flexible. We hope that as the product becomes bigger designers may create and allow use of their designs for others. We can help with specific questions along the way.

Phlodge
    Phlodge  7
    19 Aug 2012 - 11:13 AM

Nice one Mike .. content block was the answer and its done what i wanted to do on more than one page.

Thank you

Phil.

Keith-Mckevitt
    13 Nov 2012 - 11:34 PM

Wouldnt it be great if you could just drag an image from a folder on your desktop onto your site page and position it exactly where you wanted it and then add a text box and do the same. You could then see exactly what you were doing (WYSIWYG) before uploading the page and build an original ste just how you wanted it. Apple used to have a really simple system in iweb. Its not being lazy, just keeping it simple for those who like the idea of having their own site but dont have the knowlege or time to build one.
    Keith

PeterLambrichs
    PeterLambrichs e2 Member 2PeterLambrichs vcard Netherlands
    29 Nov 2012 - 10:01 AM

Changing one of the standard templates is relatively simple.
    Especially if you know a bit about CSS, the possibilities are enormous and you can create a very own look.

And the Foliopic-staff is very helpful if you have any problems.

Just have a look at my (Dutch) website.

Peter

Last Modified By PeterLambrichs at 29 Nov 2012 - 10:02 AM
    Keith-Mckevitt
    28 Jan 2013 - 10:57 PM

Quote: How would one go about doing this, can you let us into your secret. €olin

No quick answer, but starting at site template menu you can 'duplicate' then you will be able to 'edit'.
    Then go into edit assets and click on the edit pencil icon (css) which will bring up a list of changeable fields to change the look of the template. There is a simple editor & advanced editor which you can use if you have css knowledge.

A bit of experimentation is needed so have two versions of the template - one master and one copy to work on.

Hope this gives you a start and makes sense!

Mike

Excellent advice...thankyou
    Keith

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.