Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New to photography ask your questions here

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
25 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Perhaps this thread might work better.

So if your new to photography and need help ask here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

This would mean all questions would go in the one thread and it would get complicated. The best way is to post individual questions in this forum category. Just like you would in the other forums

andytvcams
25 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

Works on other sites Pete.

charlotte
charlotte e2 Member 934 forum postscharlotte vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hello everyone from another newbie....

Fantastic site and some wonderful work which has really inspired me to get out there and see what I can do....probably takes years to reach the standards that you guys are at ....patience isn't my strongest attribute...but I'm willing to give it my best.

Anyway, I got a D80 and 18-135mm lense for my birthday and £175 worth of Jessops vouchers...I now know from reading tips from peeps on here that that probably wasn't the best option as I'm limited and they're a bit expensive...too late now.

I need some kit and I need your help!!

I'd love a Manfrotto tripod, a set of Lee Filters, a nice bag and a Sigma 10-20mm lense but even I know that I'd need to win the lottery for that....(champagne taste and brown ale money)....always been my trouble!!

Can you advice some good alternatives...minus the lense for my £175?

Thanks for looking
Charlotte

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
25 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hi Charlotte, have you had a look at our Classified Ads section? Sometimes you can find some good kit there for cheap.

charlotte
charlotte e2 Member 934 forum postscharlotte vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thanks David...will do.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

try mifsuds in devon or Matt(eos) on here he has used stuff all the time
also look into ebay for bargins as well

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Can you PM me an example Andy...cos the way I see it Charlotte has now asked a question that will get will soon be lost as 15 other questions and answers appear in this thread during the course of the week. Then the replies to her question will get lost in the whole thread so it will be much more work. The idea of this category (not this post) is to allow an area for newbies to ask newbie questions without being told to f***ing google it or reminded that the question has been asked 1000 times before etc. Those who are bothered by the repeated questions can filter the section out. Those who want to help before and now want to give help back can do so.

Also from a search point of view finding a specific question will be easier than trawling through a collection of questions trying to find if your question has ever been asked.

Last Modified By Pete at 25 May 2007 - 11:44 AM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Not sure why a D80 with the 18 - 135 was not a good option, It's a good camera and that lens give you some flexibility, Sure there are other options, But that kit is not a bad starting point, And as you say your new to photography OR DSLR's at any rate, You would be wise to get some practice with the kit that you have, As once you get going you will be better placed to see what area and further kit would help in that direction.

A tripod is always a good addition to your kit, It's essential for some photography like long exposure and macro, True you could get a chaep tripod, BUT I would not advise that, Fisrt they tend to be wobbly, Second they are not worth a carrot if you want to sell them on.

Manfrotto tripods are excellent, The right choice here will last you years & years, And still make decent money when you sell it.

Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 series, Any model in this range should suit you well, Although I'd have to recommend the 190 Pro, Next choice is Black OR Silver, Black is trendy BUT also less obvious in use, Especially if you are into wild life.

The LEE filters are great, BUT they are an Arm & Leg in price, You'd be better of using Cokin as a starting point, They can be just as good, And no morgage required.

Best advice is take little steps, Master each facet and grow into Photography, Buying a bit of kit here & there as you progress.

Oh! and ask lots of questions on here Smile

lullphotography
25 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

A callumet tripod, hoya polariser and jacket with big pockets...(i've not got round to buying a bag yet, i'd like one that can be emptied quickly, in the meantime im happy to fill my pockets - no pun intended!)......Mind u sometimes it pays to buy what u would really like in the first place as your prob end up getting it in the end anyway!......If u havnt already got one, look on ebay for the cable remote for the D80, usually around £10-£12 and you shouldnt be able to live without one.

Last Modified By lullphotography at 25 May 2007 - 11:48 AM
charlotte
25 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Cameracat....meant the 'Jessops vouchers' were not the best option because I can only shop in that store with my £175....I know I'm very lucky to be starting off with the Nikon etc.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
25 May 2007 - 12:00 PM

Hi Charlotte,
If you are looking for inspiration on the right bag to get, try this site: Cambags which gives pictures of various bags with equipment in them - you can search by camera or bag type.
Martin

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi Charlotte, Ooooh! I see what you mean Jessops Eh! You should still able to get the Manfrotto from them at a half decent price, (( I'm sure they do the 190 series )) Assuming they are still price matching, That could apply to a Cokin filter set as well, By the way Look closely at the Cokin Filter offers, As quite often you can get a set a lot cheaper than buying them seperately, And as far as I know they offer several sets aimed at diffrent photgraphic situations, Probably the best one to look at would be the Set containing Neutral Density Grads, These are always most usefull Smile

andytvcams
25 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Quote: Can you PM me an example Andy...

I would Pete if your PM messages were active.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
25 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

Quote: once you get going you will be better placed to see what area and further kit would help in that direction.

Quote:
Best advice is take little steps, Master each facet and grow into Photography, Buying a bit of kit here & there as you progress.

Absolutely...your 18-135 has a fair range for starters, I survived for months with only 18-70.
THEN when/if you find limitations, look to expand. Do mostly close-ups? maybe time for a 'macro'.. Landscape? perhaps it's time for a wider view - 10-20mm. Do you right away "need" a "set" of expensive filters if 90% of your interest is indoors stuff? Most would agree a tripod would now be a damn sight more useful to you than another lens...and I also reckon Richard (lullphotography) above is right to suggest a remote release for your D80 (MC-DC1) why get a firm camera mounting with the tripod, then poke it with your finger..!
Don't mention around these parts that you have any money to spend, it'll be done for you faster than a rat up a drainpipe..Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.