Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New to photography ask your questions here

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Quote: faster than a rat up a drainpipe

Wicked, One of my favourite expressions, And so true as well, I'm only suprised that Frosty has not suggested dumping the Nikon for a 1Ds Mk2 with some " L " ware already Smile

No offence Paul, Just an example Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

me would I tell a newbie to buy a mk2 and a big L series, no unless they wanted to co pro surf toggin it , then you need the speed and length of a big canon prime
the nikon will fine for somebody setting out, pick your lenses you need carefully as when you need to move up to a pro or prosumer camera then these lenses will stand you in good stead, I found that by having some good lenses when I moved up from film canons to basic DLSRs the lenses proveda bonus, then when I movedthe next step to the pro series having primes and quality lenses it made a huge difference

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

Sound advise from Paul Smile Thats pretty much how I went about things, Lens don't change that much, But today with DSLR's the bodies are being replaced by newer versions Sad on a monthly basis seemingly Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 25 May 2007 - 12:55 PM
Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
25 May 2007 - 4:48 PM

Quote: faster than a rat up a drainpipe

Shouldn't that be 'rat out of an aqueduct' you naughty boy...

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

Yeah, the camera will do you well. i just bought the same kit as an upgrade from my old sony hybrid after two years of being frustrated by it's limitations (although I've had to learn a lot to account for that). The nikon lens has a nice range and you won't go far wrong. I just picked up a Manfrotto 190XProB as well, and it's great fun to use. Jessops do sell them, although in Scotland there's a heck of a wating list at the moment (i did all my shopping in New England last week). Not sure how it is in the rest of the country. The remote is very handy, but not necessary as you will find that the two-second timer as handy as an alternative, as is the delayed shutter release option in the camera. And as the lens you have stops right down to f22/ f36, I wouldn't worry about an ND at the moment if you're on a budget, because your shutter speeds will be slow enough for most situations.

jcuknz
jcuknz  779 forum posts
26 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

Quote: I'd love a Manfrotto tripod, a set of Lee Filters, a nice bag and a Sigma 10-20mm lense but even I know that I'd need to win the lottery for that....(champagne taste and brown ale money)....always been my trouble!!

I bought a Slick 'Master' fourty years ago and while it has its limitations it has served me well. So you don't NEED a Manfrotto to do good work.
I picked up my Cokin filters at a pawnshop and rarely use them .... I have a editing programme which with the exception of Neutral Density will give me the effect of any filter. My camera bag I found at a discount chain ...

Remember about the tog with a 5D ... wraps it up in a silk scarf and carries it in a dufflebag ... mind you ... it is a SILK scarf Smile

The whole point to photography is to take pictures, not to accumulate expensive gear, which you don't need 90% of the time. And if you don't have it then forget the shot that requires it. It is a case of learning what your camera does best and doing that, and let the rest pass by. Better gear doesn't make you a better tog.

misslollirot
29 May 2007 - 6:04 PM

Hi all,
I'm new, I've just been practising with my tripod taking self portraits, using my remote control.
I'm using a Nikon D50 and I'm having issues with controling light and focusing.

Here are my questions:
1. How do I make the camera focus on my face more than the rest of my body when using a tripod/remote control?
2. What things should I think about being taking a shot, in otherwords how should I set up my camera before taking a self portrait in indoor conditions?
3. I've been using natural light, no flash. I want to continue doing so for indoor portraits providing the light is good enough on the particular day. So I was wondering how can I make the best of the natural light around me?

Thankyou!
Leanne

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2007 - 7:30 PM

i put something in the place I'll be standing so the camera can focus on that, sometimes it's a mannequin or sometimes it's just the creases in the backdrop, I use auto focus, check it then lock it.

I practice different poses in the mirror before hand or sometimes have a mirror behind the camera, I don't have a remote control so I have just 10 secs to get in front of the camera and get into position so practise before hand is important !

I mostly use flash but I have done a few with natural light in a bright room and sometimes use a reflector.

I have nobody yo photograph in the styles I like so I have to keep doing self portraits but I would LOVE to have a go a photographing someone else as it is such hard work running back and forwards all the time, I have to think "Have I really got the energy to do any today??"

misslollirot
29 May 2007 - 7:56 PM

Thankyou for your response Smile
I don't know anything about locking so I will look this up.
Having a mirror behind the camera is a great idea!

ISO400
ISO400  7183 forum posts United Kingdom
29 May 2007 - 8:14 PM

I am following andy's advice .... ( creep creep ) and have entered another thread ( within this forum ) that way - all questions and relevant answers are kept together ( surely )

That's if you answer my question Wink ( hint hint )

SickChit
SickChit  729 forum posts England
17 Jun 2007 - 10:44 AM

hello everyone... I've got a very newbie question here, but i can't find a 100% answer to it so if anyone can help that would be great... Can a lense that works on an canon EOS 300 camera work on a canon EOS 400d ? or simply can any EOS designed lense work on any other EOS camera ? or even simperelier put (if there is such a word) are all canon lenses interchangable with other canon cameras.. it may seem very obvious but i could do with a answer. Thanks for reading this.....

Last Modified By SickChit at 17 Jun 2007 - 10:47 AM
catnappin
catnappin  7666 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2007 - 11:03 AM

In a word .. yes. Any lens with the canon EF fitting will work on the 400D. However 400D's also can use EFS lenses but EFS lenses don't necessarily work on other canon bodies (but they do on 300's).
Link
This is a great site for lenses info. Hope it helps.

SickChit
SickChit  729 forum posts England
17 Jun 2007 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the link, it is a good site.. now i know what all the Abr. are for.. cheers

JYBluesman
21 Jun 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hi, Still new to the world of photography and also still puzzled why some lens have the word 'macro' attached to them. I understand the 1:1 ratio as being important criteria especially in close-ups but what does a macro do in the case of say a 28-300 lens like the Sigma.
thanks. Jeff

natalie88
natalie88  7 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2007 - 3:46 PM

hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but anyway,
im shooting my first wedding next week and i just wondered if anyone could give me any advice as im really nervous about messing up!thanks.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.