Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New ultra slim 14-42 lens for Micro-4/3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 9:32 AM

Just read about this new slim version of the 14-42 zoom lens for the micro four thirds cameras:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/26/panasonic-shrinks-its-micro-four-thirds-lense...

Notice that there is no focus or zoom ring, so you're relying on the camera for focus and there's a rocker switch on the side to control the zoom.

Personally I don't like this, especially the zoom not being completely manual, I often find these electronic switches slow to use and often fidgety to get the level of zoom you want. Do you think this is a sign of things to come from Panasonic for their G-Series cameras?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Aug 2011 - 9:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 11:31 AM

LOL....Grin

Don't you just love the way some companies try to appeal....Smile

So lets look past the " Novelty " factor, What do we see, We see a lens that resembles the sort you find on most compacts/bridge cameras, Yeah! Its about 2 inches long and covers 28 to 800mm, etc etc, Sure a jack of all focal lengths but hardly a master of any one in particular.....!!!!!!!

The next logical thought would be " Why Bother " Why not just give in a buy a super compact instead.....Grin

Stands by with an extiguisher for all the flack coming my way, From those who drool over this system......Sad

Wink

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 12:21 PM

Quote: The next logical thought would be " Why Bother " Why not just give in a buy a super compact instead.....

Because the sensor has about 5 or 6 times the area of a compact - with significant implications for noise and DoF. M4/3 has got to be seen as a DSLR replacement not a compact replacement - indeed my Olympus Pen replaced my Canon 5D Mk II.

High end camera phones (up to 12Mp) are rapidly becoming compact replacements but are not there yet (no optical zoom).

Quote: Personally I don't like this, especially the zoom not being completely manual, I often find these electronic switches slow to use and often fidgety to get the level of zoom you want. Do you think this is a sign of things to come from Panasonic for their G-Series cameras?

I'm not keen on it either but one of the issues (for some users) with M4/3 it is not quite pocketable. The pancake zoom addresses that - at least with the smaller bodies, Panasonic GF3 and Olympus E-PM1.

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2011 - 3:05 PM

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-x-lens-45-175mm-hands-on-17210
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-x-lens-14-42mm-hands-on-17209

Last Modified By joshwa at 26 Aug 2011 - 3:05 PM
    MeanGreeny
    26 Aug 2011 - 3:10 PM

Quote: Http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-x-lens-45-175mm-hands-on-17210

Josh, can ePz ask Panasonic if the GF-1 [and similar era] cameras are fully functional with the new lenses or are just 'compatible with' as Panasonic is continuing to say.

As it stands, a camera less than a year old [GF-1] from the same manufacturer has reduced functionality on the new lenses.

Thanks

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 4:22 PM

Quote: Http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-x-lens-45-175mm-hands-on-17210

Had a look at these, shame they weren't fully functional models. Would have been interested to see how the 45-175 performs with the 'power zoom' switch. Wonder if the zoom grip will still be mechanical or just trigger the electric motor in the same way the switch does. If it is mechanical I wonder if it would still rotate when you use the switch. Again I think the time taken for the electric motor to go from one zoom extreme to the other could get irritating in moments when you're trying to catch something as it's happening.

I have to say that the 14-42 is very pocket-able, looks just a little bit bigger than the 14mm F2.5. But that 'power zoom' just kills it for me.

Suppose I shouldn't complain too much, there are plenty of other 'traditional' lenses to choose from for the 4/3's

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.