Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Upload Method on ePHOTOzine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72337 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

We have pretty much completed the V5 upgrade of ePHOTOzine which brought alot of new features and a very large database upgrade which changed the way we store photos. None of this really means anything to any of you guys at the moment, but it is the foundation for our new phase of developments.

With this new phase comes a new idea which will change the way everyone uploads to ePHOTOzine. We have seen only 'the tip of the iceberg' with the recent changes to Group Events (formally Members Meetings). Unfortunately, it appears that this recent change has brought some complications and confusion to this area as the move over to the new upload method isn't fully complete.

So, to ensure that we don't miss any feedback before development we would like to let everyone know what we have planned with this new upload system. Here is how we propose the new upload method will work:

1. All photos will be uploaded directly to your portfolio. You will have the ability to upload multiple photos per day to your portfolio. We haven't decided yet, but there have been talks about allowing unlimited portfolio uploads or a monthly upload limit.

2. When you go to upload a photo to a an area on the site (ie: Gallery, Competitions, Challenges, Groups, Group Events) you will have the option to either upload a new photo from your computer or choose from a photo in your portfolio. This means that you can build your portfolio regardless of the gallery upload limit and every part of the site works independently form each other. The gallery upload limit will still remain as is (1 per day).

3. When you view a photo in one of the areas on the site, you will also be able to see a list of everywhere else the photo is displayed on ePHOTOzine

So, the advantages we see are:

- You only ever have to upload a photo once
- You will be able to upload more photos each day
- You get a better look on where the photo is on the site

As everyone knows, we take onboard everyone's feedback so feel free to discuss this proposed change, what you like, what you dislike, what concerns or comments you have. We would love to hear.

Thanks,
David

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 26 May 2011 - 10:44 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
MikeA  91166 forum posts England
26 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

"None of these really means anything to anyone at the moment, but it is the foundation for our new phase of developments. "

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!................ perhaps you need to attend the staff meetings more regularly Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

As my old granny used to say........... "Confusion confounded".

And no, I never really understood what she meant either! Lol! Grin

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72337 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Quote: "None of these really means anything to anyone at the moment, but it is the foundation for our new phase of developments. "

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!................ perhaps you need to attend the staff meetings more regularly Wink

Sorry, i mean't any of you guys. Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

If I'm reading this right we (may) be able to, so to speak, upload unlimited photos to our own portfolio - but possibly with a monthly limit - with the gallery upload limit remaining at one a day.

I am guessing storage is not free for EPZ. So I think you may find some sort of limit essential. With people able to machine-gun on digital and take hundreds of photos a day you could easily find yourself in a situation where an individual might upload thousands of pictures in a month.

Why not say 30 a month? That equates pretty much to one a day, but people won't feel "Oh dear I've missed my upload for the day".

MikeA
26 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

"With people able to machine-gun on digital and take hundreds of photos a day you could easily find yourself in a situation where an individual might upload thousands of pictures in a month."

I took around 30,000 images during the last two weeks, Interesting times ahead then Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Quote: upload unlimited photos to our own portfolio - but possibly with a monthly limit - with the gallery upload limit remaining at one a day.

We've yet to do the maths - server space etc. There will be a limit for standard members a higher limit for e2 which will certainly be far more than 30 a month. The main thing we will maintain is a low lever (one per day) restriction to the main voting gallery. So then members will be able to share their shoots in more detail to friends, family and followers, but still get awareness in the main gallery which will link to "more".

User_Removed
26 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Quote: I took around 30,000 images during the last two weeks

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeA
26 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Time-lapse Mike - all RAW and still processing them Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53577 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Very interesting development, I can upload 7 at the weekend then turn 1 a day on in the gallery at work.
As noted above some limits will be needed (e2, non e2, Pro?)

Question: if i have 2 photo's in my profile and each day upload one and download one into and out of the gallery i assume only votes and comments will be kept for the ones in Gallery?
Then if i upload one into a group will the comments in the gallery be a different set to the group comments etc.
i.e are the comments accosiated with the photo or the display area/s chosen?

Question Will i still be able to hide photo's in my portfolio, if so will this hide them in the groups also? Incase I may want to enter a group photo but not show it on my portfolio!

Slightly of topic - more epz as a photo sales site.
If i can selectively upload into different areas then maybe i can have a Sales area that allows customers to buy directly also with 10% going to epz. Then I can pay for big file size storage if needed as a Pro above - would this larger file be in the portfolio?

davidburleson
26 May 2011 - 1:01 PM

Quote: Then if i upload one into a group will the comments in the gallery be a different set to the group comments etc.
i.e are the comments accosiated with the photo or the display area/s chosen?

The comments and votes will be associated with the photo in that area. Although we may look at other options.

Carabosse
26 May 2011 - 2:34 PM

Quote: There will be a limit for standard members a higher limit for e2 which will certainly be far more than 30 a month

I think this will be a crucial decision. You don't want to find you are getting too many - and then have to reduce it amidst howls of anguish. Wink

Just by way of example you could have a month's worth (say 30) for non-e2 and 100 or more for e2. Anyway, let us know what you decide.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 2:49 PM

All as clear as mud to me! Sad

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 3:51 PM

Me too Jas. Sad

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
26 May 2011 - 4:14 PM

Let's see if I understand this: I can upload a truckload* of images to my PF all at once and, once uploaded, I can then dole them out to the main gallery at the rate of one a day?

So, can they be voted on before being sent to the main gallery and are they visible for awards and stuff (not that I get that many....)?

If not, this means to get an image into the gallery will now be a two-step process (upload to PF then transfer to gallery), correct?

Will there be a way of uploading 1 per day directly to the gallery (i.e. what we have now)?

*where 'truckload' is yet to be defined Wink

Last Modified By joolsb at 26 May 2011 - 4:16 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.