Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New V4 ePhotozine views

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2007 - 9:02 AM

Quote: I can go to my favourite members here and see the last 10 recent comments they made on other members' pics.

I'm trying to work out why you would want to do that?

Last Modified By Dave at 13 Apr 2007 - 9:04 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Apr 2007 - 9:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2007 - 9:20 AM

Thats my learning process, Boyd.
You would never understand beginners like me.....
;p

incognito
incognito  1075 forum posts
13 Apr 2007 - 9:30 AM

Just tried clicking on the post a reply button at the top and got a JavaScript error (apparently on line 1666).

It would appear that the ephotozine guys are rolling the dice with a totally new website design - I wish you all the luck as this can be a big gamble. People don't like change especially this quickly. Personally I preferred the easier navigation of the previous website in that you could get to where you wanted to be quickly with out having to scroll too far or click too many times.

Changing the names or navigation method to essential areas of the website is like moving and renaming the toilets in the pub to something other than Males and Females (like Cats and Dogs) it confuses and annoys people.

With regards to the home page I am all for a little white space to help the eye read what is there but too much white space on a monitor that is either calibrated correctly or is set to an high contrast level it can be a little blinding. The length of the home page also seems to make it a bit of an effort to have scroll and scroll to see all that is on there.

I am also very surprised that the readers gallery as not been highlighted and explained for new visitors at the top of the home page because unless you know where it is (i.e. you already have been using the site) then it either becomes a bit of an headache to find it or you have little idea that it is there or what it does and offers. I would have thought that such a crucial area of the website for building a visitor community would have been promoted a little better. Considering that on avergage 60% of website visitors only spend between 0 - 30 seconds looking at your website it might be wise to promote the key sections of the website to them as quickly as possible to grab their attention.

Perhaps a link or option to use the old website would be good until all the bugs have been ironed out and existing users get use to the new layout.

I hope you guys at the ephotozine team don't mind me making these points - they are just another appoinion.

Shaun

Last Modified By Dave at 13 Apr 2007 - 9:52 AM
tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2007 - 3:15 PM

Quote: If we took the attitude that "it's not fixed don't break it" we would still be riding horses to travel and communicating with quill pens.

But at least the planet would still have it's rainforests and be beautiful and lush....and we wouldn't have man contributing to global warming ;- )

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
13 Apr 2007 - 3:22 PM

Quote: If we took the attitude that "it's not fixed don't break it" we would still be riding horses to travel and communicating with quill pens.

If you follow that example would we have ever evolved - would we not still be creatures swimming around in the primordial slime? Or taking it a step forward, we certainly wouldn't have progressed beyond cavemen.

Mind you, I don't know if anyone else is watching Lost Tribes on Discovery at the moment, about a tribe in Papua which are one of the last hunter/gatherer tribes left in the world and living pretty much the same for thousands of years.

Last Modified By Dave at 13 Apr 2007 - 3:23 PM
tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2007 - 3:28 PM

Quote: we certainly wouldn't have progressed beyond cavemen.

It was easier to control your woman back in them days....apparently ;- )

Geoffphoto
13 Apr 2007 - 3:29 PM

It's never been easy to control a woman !!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2007 - 3:31 PM

smirk

ChrisIW
ChrisIW  8180 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2007 - 6:56 AM

I have not been on the site for some time, and could not believe how difficult it is now to navigate around, it was one of the best sites that I used before the upgrade. It really is now very slow and difficult to get around.

Sorry Guys its a thumbs down

Chris

albi
albi  1068 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2007 - 7:09 AM

Same thoughts here too, the lay out is poor and nowhere near as good as the old version.

Tony

ChrisIW
17 Apr 2007 - 7:17 AM

Just had a few more minutes looking around the site......or trying to! am I correct in thinking that you have to use the back button each time to get back to the HOME page, like from this Forum now, how do I get back to the main menu?

Chris

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2007 - 7:18 AM

Quote: I have not been on the site for some time, and could not believe how difficult it is now to navigate around, it was one of the best sites that I used before the upgrade. It really is now very slow and difficult to get around.

Quote: Same thoughts here too, the lay out is poor and nowhere near as good as the old version.

We hope this is mainly because of unfamiliarity. Does anyone else who originally found the same feel any different now they've been on it a week?

We have taken on board several points and will be getting around to making some navigation changes as soon as we can, but at the moment all attention is on bug fixes and customer support from error reports.

Last Modified By Dave at 17 Apr 2007 - 7:18 AM
ChrisIW
17 Apr 2007 - 7:28 AM

Thanks Pete, it seems to me as somebody that loved this site and have not used it for some time the main problem is Navigation.......it really is worse than bad, and im in "IT. I just tried looking around and have given up as its taking so long.
If any of our largest Companies had made such large changes to there sites with such poor navigation I hate to think of the trade that they would loose.

Regards Chris

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022925 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2007 - 7:33 AM

apart from a couple of missing short cut buttons and the menu has moved to the top of the page (or rather become the main one as it was there already), I find navigation has changed very little. There's a Readers gallery button and a Recent Activity button - and I bet they're the most hit on the whole site.

BenGriffiths
17 Apr 2007 - 7:37 AM

Quote: Just had a few more minutes looking around the site......or trying to! am I correct in thinking that you have to use the back button each time to get back to the HOME page, like from this Forum now, how do I get back to the main menu?

Just so people are aware - you can click the top level links on the menu as well - they don't just control the sub menu...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.