Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Voting System, the short thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: to avoid two threads discussing same feature
RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hey, here's a another new thing we can bitch about. Nobody wants it; who needs it; what's wrong with the old system; it'll never work; Pete's just trying to distract our attention from the new VS system! Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 11:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 1:30 AM

it's not fair when a blown out out of focus robin on a stick gets lots of votes

whine whine whinge

Tongue

There's only one way to deal with the click cliques who ruin everyone's lives..

lock them up with no computers and throw away the key

whinge whinge whine

Tongue Wink

Last Modified By Tooth at 10 Oct 2012 - 1:45 AM
avacreates
10 Oct 2012 - 5:46 AM

VS SYSTEM
I can't understand the VS system - I would love for someone to explain it to me - anyone?
some photos have gone through the system over 20 times while others have gone through less than 10 times. Also, there are photos coming up in the comparison section that are so completely different from each other in technique - for instance a very well taken photo against a very well manipulated photo that looks amazing - I can't choose between them. Also photos taken with compact cameras coming up against photos taken with a top of the range camera.

Then there are friends voting for their friends regardless.

I would like to know how ephotozine manages the voting system, I know you guys have a reason for putting this out, could you please clear it up for people like me, thanks.

Is this an on-going system?

I have to admit that I don't always feel that I have enough photographic knowledge to actually vote in the VS system.
AVA

Last Modified By avacreates at 10 Oct 2012 - 6:07 AM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44033 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 5:50 AM

Is this the 5 minute thread, or the full half hour? I want to know how long I have paid for.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 10 Oct 2012 - 5:50 AM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 7:33 AM

Just 5 minutes, it is the short thread Wink

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44033 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 8:15 AM

Quote: Just 5 minutes, it is the short thread Wink

Ah yes, of course. I am a silly billy.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:22 AM

Quote: I can't understand the VS system - I would love for someone to explain it to me - anyone?

We have a goal - to provide a gallery of the very best photos

To do this we originally developed an area where photos were submitted into a different area of the site called the Gallery of Excellence. The idea being members would vote against similar photos and the best photo would naturally take the lead. The system we built wasn't brilliant we had to have so many mechanisms in place to prevent cheating etc that it ended up being confusing and not easy to use. If it had worked correctly the idea was that you could look up any subject - very broad such as "landscape" or "flower", more specific "bluebell", "windmill" and really specific "dog on sunset beach" etc. You would see the very best photo leading, with the also rans just behind. Then if you thought you had better you could enter and stand a chance of winning. But the gallery of photos that was created wasn't a "Gallery of Excellence" due to various design isues and way it was used. So we quickly changed it to the Challenge gallery and that with its flaws has been with us until we launched it's replacement The Versus VS gallery.

This is a far simplified method of photo selection - we've learned from the mistakes in the challenge gallery and made it much easier to use and display results.

So that's the background now to answer the questions

Quote:
some photos have gone through the system over 20 times while others have gone through less than 10 times.

We are still tweaking the formula we use and will do so until it's totally fine tuned and working to maximum efficiency. We have many things to consider. The latest major tweak happened yesterday around lunch time and has made a dramatic difference to the pictures that appear.

Quote: Also, there are photos coming up in the comparison section that are so completely different from each other in technique

This is currently done for reasons of complete fairness for all subjects including the less popular genres that now stand a totally equal chance of wining and rating high. And also because so many photo are badly tagged we wouldn't be able to create a system that shows 100% photos with their comparison shots.
Full explanation of why it's random by our IT guy Richard here http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/new-vs-mode-99508/p-45

Quote: I can't choose between them. Also photos taken with compact cameras coming up against photos taken with a top of the range camera.

see my reply on this page of a very long thread
http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/new-vs-mode-99508/p-19

Quote: Then there are friends voting for their friends regardless.

The system is anonymous so that's less likely to happen

Quote: I have to admit that I don't always feel that I have enough photographic knowledge to actually vote in the VS system.

You can use skip on any pairs where you cannot decide. but in many cases iot's clear to see that one pictures is at least slightly better for one reason or another.

MODERATOR POST
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:35 AM

I.................(yes its that short.)

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:42 AM

don't you just hate it when people get serious about photography!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:22 AM

please use this thread to discuss vs gallery: http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/new-vs-mode-99508

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: to avoid two threads discussing same feature