Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New VS Mode

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2012 1:55PM
OK I get the gist of it, but how can we opt out?.......I don't really want my work being compared with anybody else's.

And how do you a compare a mono image with a macro one......Two very different disciplines both with their own merits, something I found my latest image up against????

I want an opt out!!!!

Ade Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Oct 2012 1:56PM
here we go......SadSmileTongueWink
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
1 Oct 2012 1:59PM
Let battle be joined.

I'd say that I don't mind whether my photos get used for this or not - why should it matter? But then somebody might point out that my portfolio appears to be empty at the moment Tongue Nevertheless, that's my opinion, at least until I change it.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2012 2:01PM
I don't have a problem with it per se, I just want to know how one compares say a good landscape shot against an equally deserving macro image or any other style of image for that matter......Bonkers!

Like for like at the very best please.....

Ade
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Oct 2012 2:02PM
No different to entering a competition with the theme 'Open'?
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
Just given this a go. Undecided at the moment - I am struggling to get my head around the purpose. I'm not quite sure that the site needs another mechanism for making judgements on an image that has questionable meaning (like voting). As a bit of fun ok, but there will be those who don't see at such and become competitive in their ranking.

A final note - please can this be removed from the buzz?

Adam
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
Its a nice bit of fun, and can in time give good results as long as people really vote for best - best for me at any point in time is quite subjective though and some genres might rarely get votes from me - I guess others will balance this though.
Also I find I don't generally spend too much time on things like this as it seems endless.
Good luck with the math behind it - sorting well is quite complex.
I'll give it a go now and then.
helenlinda e2
7 338 21 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 2:05PM
So, are two images only shown once, and does it depends on just that response - or do members get to see them at another time if they were not on line at that moment?
If you win a VS award does that remain when the picture is compared with another, or can you loose it the next time round?
..................... if so it seems a lot of effort to inform members in their buzz that they have won a challenge.
Is the choice of which two are compared random - it certainly looks like it from where I am sitting
No doubt this will get refined as time goes on
Helen
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Oct 2012 2:05PM
As someone who makes full use of the votes/awards disabling facility, I've just put in a report asking for confirmation that photos on which these things have been disabled will not be part of the VS scheme. If they excluded, that will be fine for my own purposes.

But I also support Ade's call. One of EPZ HQ's dottiest ideas yet, IMO, for the reasons he's stated. We are told how hard-pressed our web developers are and how things members actually want have to be put on a long waiting list/kicked into the long grass.

If this is the type of thing the developers are being 'pressed' to do, is this the best use of their time - one wonders? confused-dark.jpg

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2012 2:06PM
At the least give us the chance to opt our images out of the system........It seem to me just another mechanism of voting for your mates work, even if it claims to be random.....

Not for me.....Get rid off ASAP!!!
phil1963 e2
2 265 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 2:10PM

Quote:I don't have a problem with it per se, I just want to know how one compares say a good landscape shot against an equally deserving macro image or any other style of image for that matter......Bonkers!

Like for like at the very best please.....

Ade

agree,compare landscape to landscape etcSmile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2012 2:19PM
I dunno what's going on at EPZ towers at the moment......????

Another bone of contention I have at the moment is the 6 Top Insect Macro Photographers On ePz all very ego massaging admittedly for me. However, I was asked to participate in a technique section and answered all the questions willingly.......Nobody said I was going to be pigeon-holed as one of the Top 6 macro togs on EPZ, something I don't think is true and something I'm not very happy about either. There are far better macro togs on EPZ than me!!!!

WTF is going on????

Ade Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Oct 2012 2:27PM

Quote:I dunno what's going on at EPZ towers at the moment......????

Indeed. This will be the first ever COMPULSORY competition on EPZ, if there is no opt-out and, if there is, there should be a facility to permanently opt out, as there is for votes and awards.

As it is a competition, surely an opt-in is more appropriate?

Compulsion is not normally Pete's style, so one does wonder what's going on...........................!
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 2:32PM
So i just whizzed through about 100, saw one i recognised from before but loads of others too - very nice.
Some of them where so good i wanted to go explore further the person who took them - might be a nice feature one day although it might also take out the anonymity.
Also i got a few I assume are marked as adult as I allow adult images this is OK.
Did not see any of my own, I assume this is by design too Wink
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 2:42PM
Lets just opt out of everything...I opt out of life.......Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.