Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New VS Mode

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

robthecamman
1 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

guess thats her on the bike wearing helmet

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73903 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 11:33 PM

Quote: Guess thats her on the bike wearing helmet

DaveU don't even think about it...Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2012 - 11:40 PM

Quote: I hope that's what they are cos I can't believe that alternative explanation that ePz has just asked me to choose between these

Well the idea is simple...If everyone could just turn their half empty glasses upside down for a moment and consider this example s it's a great one...well done Chris!

One is a nude. The nude category is very popular. This kind of nude does well in the epz gallery because it's a women with her breasts out. Lots of people like nudes and click on them.

The other is a bike shot in the sports category - the sports category isn't very popular. This picture will get few votes in the epz scheme of things.

So put them side by side and which is best?
Well that's easy...the nude is an average one in the scheme of things (flash causing harsh shadows and slightly uncomfortable pose, yet the bike shows good control of panning shutter speed and framing. Bike's a winner. Bike gets recognised - nude doesn't...vs gallery starts to become more credible.

Apples and Oranges? I prefer Cherries and Passion fruit, but I go for a Granny Smith over a not ripe Passion fruit, or a Satsuma over a slightly mouldy cherry.

And here's to optimism...
347-1280308961.jpg

Last Modified By Pete at 2 Oct 2012 - 12:00 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
keith selmes
1 Oct 2012 - 11:42 PM

Buzz told me one of my old photos had won a challenge.
It went off all by itself apparently, without my knowledge, and biffed somebody elses poor photo that never had a chance.
I see there are 3 threads complaining about this VS thing, two of which are locked.

A possible solution is just to hide all your images.
We can do that now, and if no-one else can see them, they can't be in challenges eh ?
Might be an alternative to clearng the PF and flouncing out anyway.
Sort of like telling all my images they're grounded for the foreseeable and they're not going off getting into any sordid challenges without my permission.

Think I'll go and browse through Photo.net, and then tidy up my images on Flickr.

That's my feedback anyway.

andypitstop
1 Oct 2012 - 11:50 PM

Well done Pete...there is hope for the Motorsport photographers yet ! I better get some fresh work ready for uploading !! I can feel a new dawn approaching......the speeding motorbike will be the new seascape.....lol...Andy

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
1 Oct 2012 - 11:55 PM

Quote: A possible solution is just to hide all your images.

I did that ages ago, before the Vs gallery was even a gleam in Pete's eye! I must be prescient!

(Disclaimer: Actually, I hid them for other, completely unrelated reasons)

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 12:16 AM

Quote: This kind of nude does well in the epz gallery because it's a women with her breasts out. Lots of people like nudes and click on them.

The other is a bike shot in the sports category - the sports category isn't very popular. This picture will get few votes in the epz scheme of things.

OK, Pete can you simply tell us this - with no beating around the vegetation! Wink

Is VS being trialled as a possible replacement for the current voting system. A 'Yes' or 'No' is perfectly acceptable! Smile

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81105 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 12:28 AM

voyey.jpg

Stats are already there in the system.

Bloody stupid idea comparing kak with kak and cross genre.Smile

Heres an idea to sort the voting system out, shows the popularity of an image, and you could rank that gallery.

Seeds...

Last Modified By Eviscera at 2 Oct 2012 - 12:34 AM
chase
chase Critique Team 91118 forum postschase vcard England241 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 12:49 AM

I don't mind new things guys but perleeeeeez can we lose the buzz notifications !!!

ringyneck
ringyneck  7308 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 1:09 AM

Returning after my suspension............(been naughty) ....

If there are 1 million pics in the gallery how long would it take to pair them up and have all the ones that are in "the lead" been on more or less than other ones that have not been knocked out.

Keith

thebigyin
thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 1:24 AM

I will admit here I have not read all this thread,

However, I'm with a lot of people here, we need clarification as to how this is going to work, and if there is the intention for it to replace the current voting and commenting structure.

I will be perfectly honest, if it does I will leave epz, as there will be nothing more of interest here for me.

As it stands I see no merit in comparing completely different genre's, some I have no interest in or know nothing about, for it to be any use it really has to compare like with like, but even still the comments and/or voting system should remain

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 1:32 AM

Quote: If everyone could just turn their half empty glasses upside down for a moment

then they'd be definitely empty.....duhhhh Tongue

thebigyin
thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 1:39 AM

Quote: I hope that's what they are cos I can't believe that alternative explanation that ePz has just asked me to choose between these
Well the idea is simple...If everyone could just turn their half empty glasses upside down for a moment and consider this example s it's a great one...well done Chris!

One is a nude. The nude category is very popular. This kind of nude does well in the epz gallery because it's a women with her breasts out. Lots of people like nudes and click on them.

So put them side by side and which is best?
Well that's easy...the nude is an average one in the scheme of things (flash causing harsh shadows and slightly uncomfortable pose, yet the bike shows good control of panning shutter speed and framing. Bike's a winner. Bike gets recognised - nude doesn't...vs gallery starts to become more credible.

Apples and Oranges? I prefer Cherries and Passion fruit, but I go for a Granny Smith over a not ripe Passion fruit, or a Satsuma over a slightly mouldy cherry.

And here's to optimism...

I take your point here Pete, but the techniques in taking a really good sport image are completely different to a very good nude, each are as valid and have their own challenges, I still think that the only way forward with this is to be able to compare like with like, and even still there are going to be some very good pairings where one losses out, not because its a bad image, but subjectivity will prevail.

I personally dont want to be comparing a still life with a nude, a sport shot with a landscape, its not why I am on epz, I would prefer to keep in my own genre and able to judge with some experience what has and has not gone into an image.

CaroleS
CaroleS e2 Member 434 forum postsCaroleS vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 7:57 AM

I appreciate Pete's helpful explanation (above) as he overviews all images in all categories when choosing his HC or EA (I hopeSmile) I have tried to apply all the rules of photography but some defy any logic at all and I admit I have skipped several pairings.

I like the fact that we do not know whose image belongs to who, although some styles are easy to recognise and some have their names or logos still appearing. Also I have seen several good images that I know I have missed during the normal run of things.

I will keep an open mind and give it a go. One thing I do not like is the buzz notification, it was easy to check on the response of a current image by looking at the top 'buzz'. Now they are all over the place. Neither do I like the VS mode stats appearing on the image when you view. Perhaps an opt out option should be considered as many have suggested.

Last Modified By CaroleS at 2 Oct 2012 - 8:08 AM
Scottishlandscapes
Scottishlandscapes e2 Member 1068 forum postsScottishlandscapes vcard Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 8:04 AM

I've been on site for a few years plodding along enjoying landscape photography, my glass half full, ignoring the super saturation fans and trying in my small way to help photographers develop their skills by useful comments and assistance ( hopefully ).
Now I've found this new VS challenge thing and I don't like it filling my buzz box with something I'm not interested in, so how do I opt out?
You can't you have to learn to like new things!
Take pointed comments from others that landscapes are boring! My hobby is BORING! I'm boring, my thoughts are as nothing and I'll be shouted down if I keep having them.

When I joined EPZ we were a happy bunch who welcomed people and tried to help each other along the photographic road now we have to tread carefully about what we say or it might be taken the wrong way and the majority will decide what I like.

Well I don't think so, I'll watch what happens here and if I don't like the VS challenge, I'll keep saying it, maybe others will agree and join the challenge against the challenge.

Here's to MY optimism, MY GLASS is HALF FULL, always has been.

Dougie

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.