Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New VS Mode

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318450 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 4:32 PM

I nip in to the vs gallery every so often and have a quick break from work...do around 10 to 20 pairs. As I did the latest quite a bit of photo journalism came up. it was better quality than the other stuff it was paired with so it got the vote. That means PJ is being promoted in a better way than it ever has...same for motor sports etc.

I started to think that if those who've always complained about my choice, or readers choice awards or guest editor awards or popularity of certain genres and lack of airing of less popular genres, stepped in and gave it a go they could make a big difference to the vs gallery and it would be a truer reflection of quality.

So if you have just pooh-poohed the idea and blocked it, you could at least help try and make it work so it delivers the aspects you've always wanted and moaned about regularly in the forums.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Oct 2012 - 4:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 4:50 PM

Quote: it is only a bit of a 'time-passer' & not to be taken as a life or death disaster if your pic 'wins or loses' (as are all the 'site awards').

Spot on Joe. Although I've personally opted out, I occasionally skip through a few pairs on VS just for the sheer hilarity of some of the comparisons! Grin

I mean, it's not as if those at EPZ Towers have ever, for a moment, considered VS as a possible replacement for the current voting system: they're not that silly! tongue-dark.jpg biggrin-dark.jpg

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 - 4:56 PM

I have been dipping in and out of VS over the week and think it's better than the normal voting system - I have to say I have clicked skip a lot as I hated both photos and haven't been able to just look and say "yep that one's better than the other one" they both sucked in my IMO. But I have to say I have voted for images on the VS that I wouldn't have even looked at in the normal gallery - macro shots on bug and stuff and even a few landscapes.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 4:57 PM

Quote: So if you have just pooh-poohed the idea and blocked it, you could at least help try and make it work so it delivers the aspects you've always wanted and moaned about regularly in the forums.

Sounds like you've had a bad day at the office Pete

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 4:57 PM

Quote: So if you have just pooh-poohed the idea and blocked it,

It's fine for the e2 members who can see what image they won or lost against, but the non e2 members can only see the images they won against via the buzz. It would be better if non e2 members could see the images they lost against as well.

Simon

Paul_Anthony
5 Oct 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: It would be better if non e2 members could see the images they lost against as well.

Which leads us to the idea behind every idea that the team have.. To get you to get your Credit Card out and pay for E2 status. And rightly so too, they are running a business after all.

Personally I get more than enough out of the free features of the Web site, so see no need to sign up for E2. Good luck to those who do though.

Paul Wink

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 7:33 PM

I am struggling with the not so randomness of it so far. I'm seeing a lot of images more than once and 1 Ive just seen twice in 3 goes lol. Do computers really do random?
I'm hoping we start to see some quality start to filter through, as at the meoment its clearly about which ones are being judged the most.

All good fun though, and I keep coming back to pick some more Tongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 7:43 PM

Quote: I'm seeing a lot of images more than once and 1 Ive just seen twice in 3 goes lol

I see that, generally if i pass instead of vote, the images re-appear paired against something else, so its not a bad thing.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
5 Oct 2012 - 7:51 PM

Quote: Which leads us to the idea behind every idea that the team have.. To get you to get your Credit Card out and pay for E2 status

After 45 pages of debate/argument/discussion I think you have hit on the real reason the Vs system was introduced!!!

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: but the non e2 members can only see the images they won against via the buzz

can we? buzz gives me notifications if a picture of mine won in the vs mode. but how / where do I see who it won against? cause I seem to be missing that part.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 8:24 PM

Quote: where do I see who it won against?

In Buzz, click on Expand just to the right of the title of your pic. You will then see the title of the pic yours beat & you can click on that to view the pic.

STEVELIN
STEVELIN  6156 forum posts Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

it seems like a lot of members would opt in to the vs feature as said getting notification on buz can get a bit overloading "one for pete could the results not be shown in your pf like votes are shown underneath the thumbnail ie . votes -vs number of wins , number of looses ok this info is avaliable if you open up the shot but it might be better to see it in your pf,

MediumSizeUnavailable

cool. thanks

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 9:43 PM

An interesting comparison. This one is mine. This one is the first image it has been compared with.
Guess which won. Much as I prefer "wildlife" shots to landscapes even I wouldn't have chosen mine in this case.
What does anyone think?

MrsS
MrsS  84527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 10:04 PM

I know what you mean, Alan, it's like comparing apples with alien artefacts - this playing field is almost vertical! Wink

Mind you, it is rather fun going back to old images and reading my essays - and folks comments too - so I suppose it isn't ALL bad!!!! Tongue

Last Modified By MrsS at 5 Oct 2012 - 10:08 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.