Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

New Web Site

jjmills 9 153 Scotland
19 Aug 2006 1:01PM
Hi,

I have jumped head first into this one...

Registered for the free trial with Photium at the bottom of the page.

Now I have a new web site up and running please take a look and let me know what you think.

Inverness Photographic

Thanks

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Aug 2006 1:23PM
Hi John

Where abouts are you based? At the jousting, were you standing at the top end with a tripod set up? And possibly your son with you?

Allan
exclusive e2
10 579 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2006 3:43PM
a lot of photos in very broad catergories.

also they aren't titled which would be really useful.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Aug 2006 3:58PM
Just a couple of observations....

If you're seling yourself as a social and portrait photographer, why the huge number of decidedly ordinary landscape shots? A lot of these pictures are near duplicates with just minor differences in composition and give the impression of simply having dumped the contents of a memory card or two straight on to your site. Is this the impression you want to give potential clients?

If you really want to showcase your versatility, I would put up a small number of your very best non-social/portrait shots but the strongest emphasis should really be on the sort of results that people might expect if they hire you.

If I was touting for this sort of work, I'd have the following galleries:
People & places
Sports & events
Portraits
Other (this would contain only the very best work in a variety of genres and without any near-duplication)

Remember, it's quality that impresses, not quantity.

I don't want to sound too harsh here as some of your work is really very good (the studio stuff particularly) it's just that I feel you need to be a lot more selective about what you show people.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Aug 2006 4:39PM

Quote:I adopt the more informal approach to portraits rather than the studio shots

This means 'I don't have a studio and people know it...be honest it will go down well.

Quote:Small Business donít be left behind in the photo look ask for a quote

Poor English will not attract any business, small or large

The JJ Mills logo is very annoying as it's everywhere.

I'm in the market for a photographer to shoot an anniversary party...make me go WOW.

Sounds harsh but I can't work out if it's a commercial website or a personal one.
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
19 Aug 2006 7:19PM
Just had a look - lots of variations of the same shots - name overpowering every photo- very average photography - probably best as a personal website - I would guess you would not sell a pic looking at what you have.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
19 Aug 2006 7:37PM
Harsh words from Brian, but I'm very much of the same opinion, I'm afraid. There are some very ordinary shots there, I'd clear a lot of them out, your swans, cow, and seagull type shots do you no favours at all really. It might be better to concentrate your efforts on improving your photographic technique rather than publishing a webpage at the moment. There's an awful lot of people out there already with photographic web sites trying to sell photos (and not finding it easy!), I honestly think you will struggle. But don't give up, concentrate on the basics, and prove us wrong. Wink
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2006 7:46PM
I was going to accuse Keith of being the Simon Cowell of this thread but upon looking at your webs site, everything he said is correct.

For me it also lacks style and finish...sorry.

A more subtle approach with colour and composition would also help.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
19 Aug 2006 8:14PM

Quote:I was going to accuse Keith of being the Simon Cowell of this thread

I thought he was remarkedly restrained!Smile
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Aug 2006 8:41PM
And there was me starting to feel bad for offering what I thought was a harsh critique... Wink
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Aug 2006 8:51PM
You were worse than me really.
Wink
jjmills 9 153 Scotland
19 Aug 2006 8:53PM
Hi All,

Nothing is too harsh; I need to know what is right and what is wrong. I think most do its the only way to improve...

All points are worth mentioning and I can start to work on them.

Yes there a loads of photos up there, I load a lot up to get the feel for the package and I now need to weed out more than a few.

Yes I have a copyright mark across the photos again not sure how secure this package is.

Yes I have already sold more than a few of the ones uploaded in some case multi copies.

Yes my "English" is not that good, maybe because I am Scottish or lazy.

Who is Simon Cowell ~ I hate that program.

Will add titles to each photo.

Thanks so far.

I will keep working on it.

Not at the stage of "Anyone want to buy a domian name?"

John
g_parry e2
8 332 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2006 10:14PM
you've sold some? Guess there's hope for me yet
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
19 Aug 2006 10:23PM

Quote:You've sold some? Guess there's hope for me yet

All the above comments were directed at the website - not at the person. The person took them on the chin and accepted them gracefully.

Lets hope your pictures are better than your manners
19 Aug 2006 11:12PM
Well said !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.