Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Web Site for us at the Barn Owl Centre

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

VinceJones
25 Jul 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi FolksSmile

I am looking for a bit of feedback regarding how our new web site looks & feels. Please be honest as good critique is so useful. You can even message me if you want to

For 10 years we have not made any attempt to change our site & now we have. Scary times!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated especially from the many who know us or have been on a Photography Day.

I hope I am not breaking any rules by asking for important feedback for our charity.

New Web site address is HERE
Old Web Site is HERE

Old one site is still live but sort of hidden by its domain name

Vince
Barn Owl Centre

Last Modified By VinceJones at 25 Jul 2013 - 11:19 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2013 - 11:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Marlow
Simon_Marlow e2 Member 10115 forum postsSimon_Marlow vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi Vince,

Quite a contrast between the old one and the new one so congrats on that.

Only a couple of things i would suggest:

Using this page as an example --> 5hr Photography Days. If there is quite a bit of text on the page it's hard to read as it appears quite bunched up. Maybe try the heading in a different size, just slightly bigger with a bit of space under it. Changing the headers to the dark green may also help to differentiate them a bit, the colour is #1F300C.

Also on the "How to find us" page, you have an image of Google Maps, linking to the Google site. If you wanted to, it's quite straightforward to embed an actual map into your page.

The navigation is laid out nice and clear so different areas can be found without any problems.

Regards,

Simon Marlow
[links removed by epz, against site T&Cs]

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 Jul 2013 - 12:11 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Simon_Marlow
25 Jul 2013 - 11:39 AM

Just found this too that you might want to change as it may show up in Google's search results text from the meta description.

"On SUNDAY\\\'S ONLY & commencing from Sunday 7th July 2013..." (Note the three slashes).

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
VinceJones
25 Jul 2013 - 1:05 PM

Thanks Simon, I have now made a few changes that I think have helped to create some separation. With regards to the \\\\ I have now deleted these to but they keep re-appearing. A job for our website coder.

I hate messing around with websitesTongue

Fingers crossed it looks better & I can get back with the birds.Grin

As a thank you I will ask the Powers above on EPZ to see if I can organise a EPZ Photo Day for members, at a discounted price, like we have done before

Cheers all

Simon_Marlow
25 Jul 2013 - 1:33 PM

Hi Vince,

I assume your using some sort of content management here, the system is adding in the '///' where you have put a '.

Spacing looks better on the couple of pages i looked at, easier to differentiate the different paragraphs now. Smile

Time for you to get back with the birds now. Smile

Regards.

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 1:52 PM

Hi,

Being pedantic, you should get someone to proof read your text. SUNDAY'S only should actually be SUNDAYS only without the apostrophe. SUNDAYS is plural not possessive, etc...

Steve

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 1:55 PM

Hi,

Another similar typo: wear many hats as he's is the charity's Conservation Officer (from the 5hr Photography day text)

VinceJones
25 Jul 2013 - 2:18 PM

Cheers Steve (CanonMan)

Thanks for pointing out some of the Spelling & Grammar, well spotted!! NOW AMENDED

I do my bestBlush but after a 4 year period in care from the age of 12 to 16, it didn't help. My fault completely!

That was part of my learning years but I did loose an important period in my life where I should have listened more. No excuse lol.

This kind of help you have given is very useful for me personally plus it is very helpful for anyone visiting our new site, thank you Steve!!!!!

If other pages are looked at, I will take it on the chin lol.

Last Modified By VinceJones at 25 Jul 2013 - 2:18 PM
Hazelmouse
25 Jul 2013 - 2:39 PM

On 5 hour photography days you have hat's that shouldn't have an apostrophe as it is just a plural.

Being pedantic means I might find some more!

Helen.

Hazelmouse
25 Jul 2013 - 2:52 PM

Also on the item on mistreated birds you have: 'Below is the history of we have.............

The of needs removing as it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Looking good - hope it brings more people and money for you.

Helen.

VinceJones
25 Jul 2013 - 3:10 PM

Hi Helen,

Great to see that you are adding some imput to, awesome!

I have now made the changes to all the above points & have also changed the text on the photo day page.

Thank you EPZ for allowing me to get help with this

Thank you also to
Simon_Marlow
CanonMan
Hazelmouse (I like people being pedantic lol)

Smile

Dave_Canon
25 Jul 2013 - 4:12 PM

Vince looks good to me. Just a chance to thank you as I have attended two photography days and thoroughly enjoyed them. In fact I enjoyed being outside, seeing the birds fly and the challenge of photographing them. Your help and guidance also made it much easier. Even if I had not come away with some stunning pictures I would still have been satisfied with this great experience but I did get some great shots on both occasions. Please keep up the good work.

Dave

Griff2012
Griff2012 e2 Member 2321 forum postsGriff2012 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 5:53 PM

The new website is really clear and informative Vince. Keep up the good work.

Just spotted one on the 'How to Find Us' page. Last line reads "We except..." that should read "We accept..."

Will see you in September (gifted a photography day by my son - can't wait).

Jacqui Smile

GPTek
GPTek e2 Member 8434 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 9:06 PM

Another on the 5Hr Photography page in the section in italics starting 'Please note.... they take e place around the farm & we not open to the public....etc ' - extra e and 'we are not open etc'

Must make visit
HTH
Geoff

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 9:22 PM

Just a thought........does the image on the photography day page have the WOW factor...............is there to much brick wall? For me the image is not powerful enough.........SmileSmile

My preference for the photography day would be Five Hour not 5hr............the 5 looks like an S.......

I may be back with more input..........TongueTongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.