Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Website - comments appreciated, thanks.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Daisy_intheMill
29 Apr 2005 - 1:56 AM

At last my website has been redesigned.
My husband and I had previously designed it on windows, but being novices failed to realise it's appearance on other computers (I'm not really up with all the lingo!)

A fellow EPZer, Paul Groom, has taken it and turned it 'upside-down'. I'm really pleased with it and would appreciate any views on it and/or advice for further improvement.Click Here

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2005 - 1:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2005 - 2:01 AM

Initial impressions are good Jude. I'm not sure about the shade of green you have chosen but the site loads quickly, navigation is clean and simple and there don't seem to be any typos.

What do you intend to do about adding more images? At the moment the thumbs fit across the main box but if you add more you need to think about scroll bars or similar.

Ian

gary900r
gary900r  10474 forum posts England
29 Apr 2005 - 2:02 AM

Hi Jude
Just taken a quick glance at your site.
On the left hand site you have links to various areas of your site. All i can see using Firefox are 3 white boxes with a black border on each. I dont know if there is supposed to be a picture for each section.

Gary

Declan
Declan  9140 forum posts
29 Apr 2005 - 2:05 AM

I'm pretty keen on this, nice simple design - really lets the photos speak for themselves. The gallery format is excellent.

One minor criticsm is that the "about" text is written from the third person, which i find a touch annoying. It's your website after all, not someones dedictation to yoU ??

digicammad
29 Apr 2005 - 2:05 AM

I'm using Firefox and it worked okay for me. Do you have any ad blocking going on? I wonder if it thinks the thumbnails are adverts.

vickyh
vickyh  12706 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Apr 2005 - 2:09 AM

Had a very quick look - seems good. Easy to navigate, fast to load, I like it.

The only comment I would have is I don't know if it's your intention to get into the search engines with it, but you'll need to do a bit more work on it if you do, such as adding some keyword-rich text...

keithh
keithh  1022792 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2005 - 2:15 AM

Not keen on that subtle shade of green. Your prices will go down well with the punters...but not fellow photographers who are local to you.

Origami_Owl
29 Apr 2005 - 2:17 AM

Hi all,

Maybe I should speak up too here, as I put forward the design to Jude.

Ian, 8 pictures seemed to be enough to show example of each section. If Jude wanted to add more then we could add another layer of thumbs (admittedly increasing to the size of the page - ie more scrolling) - or she could have a scroll bar at the bottom to go through, which can look a little vulgar. Otherwise she could have another menu item - but the menu example pic of each section would come down in size probably if this was to happen, just to get them all on.

Gary, not sure about why the pics aren't showing up - check the advert block as suggested if you don't mind.

Declan, over to Jude for that one.

Vicky, I've not added any meta data for the keywords etc yet, good point thanks.

Keith - the green seems to split people - some like it/dislike it. Over to Jude for that choice.

Thanks

Paul

digicammad
29 Apr 2005 - 2:23 AM

Paul, I'm not an expert in search engine promotion but have been doing some research recently as I am putting together a site for something myself. It is my understanding that meta-tags are not all that brilliant and it is far more effective to have plenty of relevant words in the text of the pages. The exception seems to be the meta-description tag, which allows you to specify the text to show up in the search results.

Sorry if I'm suffering from granny and egg sucking syndrome. :0)

Ian

gary900r
gary900r  10474 forum posts England
29 Apr 2005 - 2:27 AM

Paul

Yes I do have Norton ad blocking running.
Works fine with the ad blocking off. Not something I normally turn off.
Gary

digicammad
29 Apr 2005 - 2:38 AM

Some ad blocking software works on image size Gary, looks like the thumbnails are just the wrong size for Norton. Maybe something else to consider Jude/Paul.

Ian

Origami_Owl
29 Apr 2005 - 2:52 AM

Thanks Ian - I'm not a big one on search engine optimisation, so there's no sucking eggs syndrome going on. Anything you can share is very valuable. I still have some web sites to look into about it from when I did my website and asked for advice - shall dig them out and take action.

Also a good way to get higher on the Google pages is to get people to link to your site from theirs, that seems to throw you right up to towards the top.

Paul

digicammad
29 Apr 2005 - 2:57 AM

Yes, the most important factors seem to be good links from other sites and keyword density in the text. The links on the other sites also need to use the keywords, not just say click here.

This is a very useful page to read.

Ian

Origami_Owl
29 Apr 2005 - 3:02 AM

Thanks Ian - I shall study that page. It would be great to get more with it with search engines etc.

Duncan - interesting issue with the image sizes - potentially they may just be on the border of being too big (and appearing as an ad) - Jude may therefore want those side images lowered in size slightly, thanks for letting me know.

Paul

vickyh
vickyh  12706 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Apr 2005 - 3:13 AM

Paul,

You probably already know this but I just wanted to clarify that most search engines ignore meta tags these days.

www.dreamweaverresources.com/seo/ gives some good tips on search engines.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.