Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New Website - constructive criticism welcomed!

damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
29 Nov 2012 6:40PM
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of re-doing my portfolio website, and would welcome some constructive criticism on the general look and feel of the site as it comes together. I'm not after criticism of the photos as such (but feel free if you're so moved!) as I'm still playing with things and some of them are more placeholders than final pictures, but the general look and feel is somewhat different to my previous site so I'd be very grateful for any constructive criticism or feedback!

Many thanks.

Damien VC

Victor-Charlie.net

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colijohn e2
3 38 1 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2012 7:21PM
Hi Damien. The site concept is very nice. As for the layout I would suggest that you allow more space between the site title and the page buttons. At the moment everything is cramped together. Move all the buttons to the right and space them evenly between your title name and the Twitter logo.

Cheers Colin
29 Nov 2012 8:51PM
also, the daylight pier picture doesn't look level to me. unless ive got my glasses on wonky
nickp e2
10 491 Scotland
29 Nov 2012 9:02PM
I like the reponsive design but I think the image on the front page doesn't work. On my wide screen the top and bottom get chopped off. Might be better to fit the image to the available height not the available width.
damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
30 Nov 2012 6:25AM
Hi all. Thanks very much for taking the time to have a look and provide some feedback. I'll play with things later today to adjust the site as suggested.

Damien
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2012 10:47AM
Hi Damien, the front page image is too large for certain screens, so you would be better reducing this in size to show it off to its full potential. It appears you are putting your images on each page, but personally I would have put a photo gallery on each of these pages. Build up your galleries on each page, e.g; This England, gallery 1, gallery 2, Sea Feaver, gallery 1, gallery 2, etc. Hope this is of help.
Stephen
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
30 Nov 2012 11:24AM
I expect this is very much a work in progress but I do miss a narrative. And yes, the front page pic is way too large. Also, I'd rather see more space between the images.
damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
30 Nov 2012 12:08PM
Thank you both!
damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
30 Nov 2012 1:34PM
@colijohn - I've padded out the navigation buttons as suggested. The social icons have gone for the moment until I can work out how to put them where I want them.

@gareth01442 - thanks. I was looking at it for ages trying to work out why it didn't quite look right. Back to basics for me on that one.

@nickp - front page image adjusted as suggested.

@puertouk - as before, front page images adjusted. I'd like to keep the number of images (and therefore galleries) down, but appreciate the feedback.

@slowsong - as before. I've changed the grid layout of the galleries to give each image more space, and am in the process of putting some detail for each image into a mouseover.

@all - thanks again for your feedback. It's a massive help. Any more suggestions from the community would be gratefully received!

Damien
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
30 Nov 2012 9:25PM
Can't see the point in the handwritten background, the page loads so fast with the images I'm unable to read it even if I wanted too, IMHO it's superfluous and un-necessary, otherwise yes a thumbs up from me!

Ade
damienvc e2
3 28 2 Belgium
2 Dec 2012 12:18AM
Thanks @ade_osman. The original thought behind it was that the text on the background image would be the text of the poem behind the gallery names - the sort of thing that many people would not notice but those who would might appreciate! Only 'High Flight' is there - I haven't got round to the others yet. Since changing the images sizes and layout this has now gone by the wayside as it were as the background text can't be seen at all.

Damien
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2012 8:45AM
I like the responsive design too and the overall layout, menu and thumbnails page continued to work well at mobile sizes down to 320x480. Just one observation on that is that once you get to an individual image on mobile sized screens, the left and right arrows seem to take up most of the space, leaving just a thumbnail sized image in the middle.

I just thought that was worth mentioning because if the image filled more of the screen at that point it would all be nice and usable via mobile, which is a real plus these days. I realise it's a work in progress though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.