Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Website - constructive criticism welcomed!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    damienvc
    damienvc  328 forum posts Belgium2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of re-doing my portfolio website, and would welcome some constructive criticism on the general look and feel of the site as it comes together. I'm not after criticism of the photos as such (but feel free if you're so moved!) as I'm still playing with things and some of them are more placeholders than final pictures, but the general look and feel is somewhat different to my previous site so I'd be very grateful for any constructive criticism or feedback!

Many thanks.

Damien VC

Victor-Charlie.net

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Nov 2012 - 6:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colijohn
    colijohn  237 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:21 PM

Hi Damien. The site concept is very nice. As for the layout I would suggest that you allow more space between the site title and the page buttons. At the moment everything is cramped together. Move all the buttons to the right and space them evenly between your title name and the Twitter logo.

Cheers Colin

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    gareth01422
    29 Nov 2012 - 8:51 PM

also, the daylight pier picture doesn't look level to me. unless ive got my glasses on wonky

nickp
    nickp  9490 forum posts
    29 Nov 2012 - 9:02 PM

I like the reponsive design but I think the image on the front page doesn't work. On my wide screen the top and bottom get chopped off. Might be better to fit the image to the available height not the available width.

damienvc
    30 Nov 2012 - 6:25 AM

Hi all. Thanks very much for taking the time to have a look and provide some feedback. I'll play with things later today to adjust the site as suggested.

Damien

puertouk
    puertouk  21062 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi Damien, the front page image is too large for certain screens, so you would be better reducing this in size to show it off to its full potential. It appears you are putting your images on each page, but personally I would have put a photo gallery on each of these pages. Build up your galleries on each page, e.g; This England, gallery 1, gallery 2, Sea Feaver, gallery 1, gallery 2, etc. Hope this is of help.
    Stephen

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 11:24 AM

I expect this is very much a work in progress but I do miss a narrative. And yes, the front page pic is way too large. Also, I'd rather see more space between the images.

damienvc
    30 Nov 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thank you both!

damienvc
    30 Nov 2012 - 1:34 PM

@colijohn - I've padded out the navigation buttons as suggested. The social icons have gone for the moment until I can work out how to put them where I want them.

@gareth01442 - thanks. I was looking at it for ages trying to work out why it didn't quite look right. Back to basics for me on that one.

@nickp - front page image adjusted as suggested.

@puertouk - as before, front page images adjusted. I'd like to keep the number of images (and therefore galleries) down, but appreciate the feedback.

@slowsong - as before. I've changed the grid layout of the galleries to give each image more space, and am in the process of putting some detail for each image into a mouseover.

@all - thanks again for your feedback. It's a massive help. Any more suggestions from the community would be gratefully received!

Damien

Last Modified By damienvc at 30 Nov 2012 - 1:43 PM
    Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 9:25 PM

Can't see the point in the handwritten background, the page loads so fast with the images I'm unable to read it even if I wanted too, IMHO it's superfluous and un-necessary, otherwise yes a thumbs up from me!

Ade

damienvc
    2 Dec 2012 - 12:18 AM

Thanks @ade_osman. The original thought behind it was that the text on the background image would be the text of the poem behind the gallery names - the sort of thing that many people would not notice but those who would might appreciate! Only 'High Flight' is there - I haven't got round to the others yet. Since changing the images sizes and layout this has now gone by the wayside as it were as the background text can't be seen at all.

Damien

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 8:45 AM

I like the responsive design too and the overall layout, menu and thumbnails page continued to work well at mobile sizes down to 320x480. Just one observation on that is that once you get to an individual image on mobile sized screens, the left and right arrows seem to take up most of the space, leaving just a thumbnail sized image in the middle.

I just thought that was worth mentioning because if the image filled more of the screen at that point it would all be nice and usable via mobile, which is a real plus these days. I realise it's a work in progress though.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.