Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New Website, your critique welcome!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    stuvine
    stuvine  863 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Aug 2009 - 9:20 AM

Would you mind casting a critical eye over the proposed re-design of my website. Itís at:
    http://www.vinephotography.co.uk/indextest.html

So far the places, product and play sections are up and running. The people one is still a work in progress.

Let me know what you think about the design, the content, is navigation easy to understand, that sort of stuff! Donít be shy, if thereís stuff you donít like or donít think works then let me know, I want to get this right before I launch it.

Couple of updates I know about:
    Whole thing is still to be grammar and spell checked.
    Probably going to re-arrange and slim down some of the galleries.
    Comments on the each image(what it is etc).

This part of the site is still hidden to the general public, so your looking at the "beta" version"!
    Cheers
    Stu

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Aug 2009 - 9:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

guidoa
    guidoa  121331 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Aug 2009 - 10:03 AM

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to work, either by clicking on it or "Save As".

BigCol
    BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2009 - 10:11 AM

Works fine for me, though it just looks a little 'cluttered', but that's maybe just me.
    Your email address on your logo image isn't very easy to read in that font at that size. would probably look a lot clearer in a simpler font?
    Col

stuvine
    stuvine  863 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Aug 2009 - 10:30 AM

that is my main concern that it's a little too busy, am I trying to squeeze too much into too few pages. We'll see!
    I think i may image map the e-mail address as it's a direct link to e-mail, but i'll look at tidying up the font also.
    Stu

stix
    stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2009 - 12:16 PM

had a quick look.
    The line ' And remember.......... pets are people too'
    No they're not! That makes you sound weird.
    If you are trying to say that a pet is one of the family and you would include them in a portrait , then I would rephrase this line.

Butters29
    Butters29  7 United Kingdom
    24 Aug 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi Stu,

I agree with BigCol. I think it's too clutered. I think as a photographer you're images should be the focus, so I would suggest changing the layout and trying to make the text secondary to the images. Maybe have a home page that has a few core images on, or a looping slideshow.

From a navigation point, you've tried to keep it consistent, but I think it needs a bit of re-work. For example. You could have a single page called Galleries > that includes the images and navigation to the galleries. I suggest this as I think you're navigation bar on the top is over clutered. Also, when I browse a gallery, I have to (and I may have missed this) go through each image. I don't think there is any thumbnail navigation allowing me to browse what I want and Ignore what I don't.

I also found a few gramatical errors on your site, which you may want to sort out. From memory on your outdoors page .. missing full stop and use of I've rather than I have. (I probably sound like a pedant, so please excuse me).

Principly it's not bad, but if you want to compete with the millions of other photographers out there you've got to try to find a way to have an edge. You're website is crucial in trying to gain an edge.

Let us know if you do a re-work and I'm sure we'd all be keen to help with any further tips.

CathR
    CathR  7139 forum posts United Kingdom563 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2009 - 10:52 AM

Had a quick look Stu.

Just a few random comments. The pics are great and are a wonderful showcase for your work.

I know by today's standards I have a small screen (optimised for 1024 x 768) but I have to scroll down quite a lot to get to the bottom of the home page and most importantly the navigation at the bottom. Whilst professionals may have large screens lots of ordinary folk do not and ideally it is best to get all your info on the home page without a lot of downward scrolling.

Looking at the site from the point of view of getting business I find it a tad confusing. Only your product pages are marked as "commercial". I find that confusing. Do you do wedding photography and studio portraits of people? If so, it does not come across clearly enough. If it was my site I would be saying right up front on the home page what sort of services I can offer, whether product shots, wedding or studio work or whatever. Don't leave it to the photos to give clues to the viewer.

Best wishes

Catherine

BigCol
    BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think Cath's onto something there and taking another look at your home page I have the following suggestion.
    On the home page there are 4 lots of 3 square images which when you roll-over them change to reveal some text.
    If you reduce the size of these images to a little larger than the size of the text box, maybe to the inner edge of the white border, then you'll instantly reduce the depth of the home page.
    While you're doing that if you increase the font size of each of the labels in the corner they'll become more legible, especially at the now smaller image size. The images behind will still be visible but the viewer will have a more immediate idea of what each represents.
    Hope that makes sense?
    Col

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.