Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New wedding/events website

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mcgovernjon
17 Dec 2011 - 7:25 AM

Here's a link to my new website:

www.jonmcgovern.co.uk

I'd love to see what you think - especially in terms of how long it takes to load on different internet speeds.

Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Dec 2011 - 7:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
17 Dec 2011 - 8:05 AM

comments: you have a problem

well 2 really,

are you hosted on 123? you are sitting your domain on this IP address 81.21.76.62 which is 123, or is it redirected elsewhere? could be Webfusion Internet Solutions

the result of clicking your link gave me

1, a time out,

then the fail page like:::::::::::

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
:::::::::::::::::

pushing it further I got:

http://81.21.76.62/jonmcgovern.co.uk/index.html

so you are on 123, is it direct or via a reseller?

1a, who manages your web server? talk to them

3, on nominet you are listed as NON trading, you need to change it they get mumpy about that, IF you are trading (looks like a trading site yep?)

sorry about being the bringer of work,

MrGoatsmilk
17 Dec 2011 - 8:11 AM

I tried the site on both Chrome and Firefox, no such problems as above, all worked and loaded without issue.

I did this within minutes of the OP posting and again at 08:10, both refreshed with F5 and Ctrl F5 no difference.

Edit
Just tried the same with IE again no problems

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 17 Dec 2011 - 8:13 AM
User_Removed
17 Dec 2011 - 8:13 AM

Perfect here.

And I like the site very much - clean, fast and easy to navigate.

Nice one! Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Dec 2011 - 8:14 AM
WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41055 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2011 - 8:39 AM

The fastest link and website I have encountered ! (it is 8.30am UK time though, which sometimes makes a difference). From an aesthetic pov, all the information and images are confined to the middle area in a long scrolling list, and there is no break between the images. I also like to see technical information but I can understand reasons for not posting that.

In short - very fast, very easy to use and professional but doesn't have that 'wow' factor.

(using IE, Virgin cable connection on XL package)

Last Modified By WhiteRose1 at 17 Dec 2011 - 8:40 AM
rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Dec 2011 - 9:06 AM

Just tried it on Safari and it won't load..........."unexpectedly dropped the connection,the server maybe busy, try again later."

Had a go on Firefox...still won't load.

Last Modified By rogerfry at 17 Dec 2011 - 9:52 AM
User_Removed
17 Dec 2011 - 9:19 AM

Again - perfect (Firefox)

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
17 Dec 2011 - 10:01 AM

Very strange!..My internet connection is running at around 7mbps, so that's ok, but I'm still getting the same results as pabloisme on both Safari and Firefox.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Dec 2011 - 10:43 AM

Clean and fast. To the point. I was unsure about the narrow layout with vertical scrolling but it looks like it will work reasonably well on smart phones so gives wider coverage and appeal.

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41055 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2011 - 10:46 AM

Quote: Clean and fast. To the point. I was unsure about the narrow layout with vertical scrolling but it looks like it will work reasonably well on smart phones so gives wider coverage and appeal.

good point.

WhiteRose1
17 Dec 2011 - 10:50 AM

Firefox on laptop, windows7 - just as quick.

scottishphototours

I think 95% of Brides will hate it...

Best thing I ever did was to ask 10 females to read every page and give me a critique. I then re wrote it with my daughters help to appeal to a female audience.

For instance, this is the first time I've ever read the phrase "pre-raphaelites" on a weddings website. You have to make it appeal to the reader, not just be about you. Pricing is also important, so make that clearer, give some examples, same with print prices.

Andy

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Dec 2011 - 11:04 AM

Suggest you implement a contact form rather than a clickable email address.

1) large number of people don't use email clients such as Outlook so click link is a pain.
2) it'll attract spam
3) form can utilise a captcha phrase to protect from spam.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64440 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2011 - 11:11 AM

Immediately loading for me (Firefox).

I'm not sure your front page photo shouts "artist" as you purport to be in your blurb (which I found to be a bit precious and not quite as welcoming as I'd like if I were looking to hire someone). I think it looks as if anyone with a cameraphone could have taken it.

I would imagine that most of your customers would not be particularly interested in photography per se, but just want to see the quality of your work. I find your bio rather indulgent and perhaps the info regarding your awards, runner up prizes, shortlist placements, etc. be on a back page. It's not particularly interesting reading if you're looking to book someone for a wedding. The image is everything.

Perhaps a gap between the photographs in the stacks might make it look less messy. I like your images very much (especially the bride at the refreshment stand) but feel they need to be given space rather that all run together.

I'm only making these comments from the viewpoint of a buyer and not as a crit on your p/f or you personally.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Dec 2011 - 11:12 AM
maroondah
maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2011 - 12:00 PM

Loaded with google chrome with no issues and found it to do everything is says on the can (so to speak)
Gerry

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.