Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

New Year resolutions - don't all groan at once .....

Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
1 Jan 2012 2:34PM
Well done KevSB - an amazing achievement.

I plan to get out to see more live music and visit more galleries - the latter with my children if I can persuade them.

I'd like another year like 2011 but am going to try to be more selfless.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
3 Jan 2012 3:23PM
I went for a walk on New Year's day and came up with some resolutions

1 To go through all my photos cataloged in lightroom and star rate them as well as keyword the ones that I never did well.
From the five star rated photos I will go through and select 50 of the very best to work on for a portfolio

2 I will then create a specific site just for my portfolio using foliopic as the web system.

3 I want to organise an exhibition this year. One thing I've never done so time to put that into action.

4 Also I will be starting a new personal photography project called Project3101 - all will be revealed later.

5 To become fitter. I have a running machine which I intend going on each evening for 30mins. While running I will play a learn Spanish DVD and see if I can learn a language.

6 To eat better. A few years ago, due to health, I stopped eating cheese, milk chocolate, curries and other fattening foods...I've let that lapse and am almost back to being a cholesterol inducing machine. Time for change!

7 To see more of this country. It became evident from my photo365 blog that I spend most of my current life close to home. Skye, various areas of Scotland, Dorset, Roaches, Lake District, New Forest are on the must visit / revisit locations.

8 Spend less time at the computer - I tend to work and play around the computer, so it would be healthy to step away from time to time... points 1 and 2 make this harder to implement.

9 Spend time relaxing / resting - it's not in my nature but i know I have to do it.

All the above is written with good intentions. I hope I can manage at least 30% of this list.
To complete the cataloguing of my images (well, at least to continue.....)

To take more regular walks.

To try and complete tasks already started.

To try and keep up to date with my various projects.

Not a hope! Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
3 Jan 2012 8:19PM
That's the joy of retirement Jas; not having to do anything.Wink Have a good one.Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
3 Jan 2012 8:36PM
Pete, reference your #9 above; I would highly recommend you learn how to relax and rest properly. One of the most beneficial things that I have ever brought into my life is meditation, specifically relax breathing. The benefits didn't happen overnight, but became apparent on a gradual basis. The best thing about what I do is that it can be done anywhere, anytime, even sitting at the computer. I know several ex colleagues who took it up after serious illness such as heart attack, cancer, etc., and they all swear by it. I commuted over 2000 miles to and from work for over ten years, and I believe it was only possible because I could clear my body of the stresses that built up with that type of life. I am approaching my 20th year of using meditation, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

I can't think of a simpler activity to do that will produce anywhere near the benefits.
freck 5 19 England
3 Jan 2012 9:28PM
Pete, I must agree with some of your resolutions especially numbers 5 & 6.
I've resolved to look after myself much more this year as I'm fed up of feeling run down so often and always being tired and lethargic.

Hopefully, if I can achieve this it'll make it easier to succeed with my resolution for my photography, which is to do much more!
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
3 Jan 2012 10:17PM
If your diet is made up of a large amount of sugar, eg. carbs, you will feel lethargic, it's simple. The first step is to learn about food; what's good, and what's not so good, what will bring you down, and what will energise you. I'm not going to recommend a specific book, because I think most of them are good. Your government should have a food guide, our's does, and it's the easiest I've ever tried to follow, and seems to be very practical. There's a journalist with one of our newspapers who was well over 300 lbs a few years ago, and all of a sudden he posted a new photo of himself in his column, he was about 200 lbs, and he went on to get his weight and vital signs to the recommended for his height, and he now runs marathons. When asked how he lost the weight, he responds; the Canada Food Guide and a bit of excercis, such as walking and swimming.

What you do now will not only benefit you right away, but will pay huge dividends as you get older, and find you can still be just as active.
Paree e2
9 594 3
3 Jan 2012 10:46PM
eat more chocolate,
bike more
take more photos,
sleep more
laugh more
pray more
love more
live more

paree Grin
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2012 10:50PM
make it through to 2013, have fun doing it
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
4 Jan 2012 7:44AM
My new year's resolution is not to make any new year's resolutions...Wink
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
4 Jan 2012 8:11AM
You failed that one then Tongue
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
4 Jan 2012 8:25AM

Quote:You failed that one then Tongue

Story of my lifeSadGrin
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
4 Jan 2012 11:56AM
I'm gonna get fit for my local fell race, Black Combe on 3rd March and try and do it under 1hr 39mins which was the time I did it last in 2007. As a beneficial side effect I may lose a pound or two in weight as well but its more to do with seeing if I can still compete at a reasonable standard (for me).

JP
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jan 2012 8:24PM

Quote:I'm gonna get fit for my local fell race

This sounds painful Smile
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2012 7:27PM
One year on, whos still here, who failed and succeeded

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.