Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

New York Advice Please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikesmith
mikesmith e2 Member 1045 forum postsmikesmith vcard United Kingdom35 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2011 - 8:56 PM

Hi Folks, I'm after some ideas and help please....off to New York next weekend with 32Gb of memory (as a minimum) and I want to fill my boots with city scapes, candid people shots, and a good proportion of night shots. I have the D7000 along with the 10-20, 4.5mm fisheye and an 18-200 along with tripod and flash. I'm just after a bit of advice especially for the night shots and the bright lights and colours. I've seen a lot of material some of which is to die for. I just wanna get it right first time, given that I am not likely to return in the near future and effectively I've only got one chance of getting it right. Settings advice for the night and bright lights would be helpful. I know the beauty of digital is that you can bin what's crap but I still want to give myself a heads start.

cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Nov 2011 - 8:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2011 - 10:20 PM

can't comment on settings etc..but just to warn that you can't take tripods up the `Top of the Rock' observatory. We didn't go up the ESB but assume same rules apply. There are some great views up the ToTR though, make sure you go to the very top level to avoid the perspex screens. Have a great trip Grin

mikesmith
mikesmith e2 Member 1045 forum postsmikesmith vcard United Kingdom35 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2011 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for that little gem. Going up the rock so wont take the tripod up there

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
15 Nov 2011 - 11:00 PM

don't forget your $3 discount voucher

somewhere to visit if it's raining Grin

mickrick
mickrick  10 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 10:24 AM

Times Square is always good for night photography. Neon writ large! And the Rockefeller Center should have their Christmas tree up. And I spent a lovely couple of hours on top of the Empire State Building around sunset, with an old Yashicamat.

mickrick
mickrick  10 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 10:32 AM

Here's a book for you http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-York-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470586850/ref=s...

And you have to go to B&H Photo, on 34th Street at 9th Avenue. If you can get in and out without buying something, you have the willpower of a saint!

User_Removed
16 Nov 2011 - 11:57 AM

Looks like you'll be there for Thanksgiving (24th I expect) and Black Friday.

Don't ignore some of the iconic NYNY things just because everybody else has done them. Stuff like the steam coming up through the street grills can give some amazing shots.

Also, at this time of year, NY weather can be very "mixed". That's a bonus as a lot of the street scenes look best when the pavement (what we call the roadway - not the sidewalk) is wet and glistening. Snow would be a real added feature if you are exceptionally lucky.

Finally, don't stick to Manhattan. The other boroughs contain a lot of the best photo-opps and the NY subway system is now much safer that it was 20 years ago.

Have a great time.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 2:00 PM

The iconic Manhattan & Brookly Bridge shots are taken from Brooklyn Heights, on the prom there. Even without the twin towers it is still a superb vista.

The observation deck of the Rockefeller Centre gives a great view of the Empire State and also (looking down on) St Patricks. The Empire State gives you views of Central Park and the Chrysler Building. The Chrysler Building lobby and lifts are pure Art Deco, but you may struggle to take a photo in there.

South Street Seaport is a good place and the streets around are where the fish markets/warehouses used to be, still some good stuff to get.

Steaming sewers are always good if the weather is right.

Above all, enjoy yourself, pretty much anywhere you point your camera you will find something worth photographing.

Ian

losbarbados
16 Nov 2011 - 2:23 PM

NY is a great city for photography.
echoing the TOTR comments, it knocks spots off the Empire State Building.

Grand Central Station is a good place for pictures and people watching.

99% certain the Statten Island Ferry is still free, if it is you can get Statue Of Liberty pictures. If not get the ferry to Ellis Island for them,You can now go up in Liberty if you pre book I think.

It's been a few years since I was there last though.

another quick tip take two wallets for the genuine rolex watches.

nigelsharman
16 Nov 2011 - 5:55 PM

The views from the TOTR are the best, I went at sundown which was stunning but very busy and plenty of Mini Tripods on view.

Grand Central Station as has been said is great, also suprisingly good for food, it has a huge food hall on the lower level, we had a great Mexican there.

As for using a Tripod, I'd heard the Police don't like them, I used one outside Grand Central with no problems, as long as you don't obstruct people ( it really is a busy place ) you shouldn't have a problem.

Brooklyn Bridge is another iconic view, although it's a long walk to the other side.

I hope you enjoy it, I certainly did..

mikesmith
16 Nov 2011 - 8:05 PM

WOW peops, I never expected a response like this. Thanks for all your guidance and sorry i haven't responded before now...been at work all day without access to t'interweb. There are some fantastic suggestions here and I take on board what you say about the tripod and can see why the police don't like them with the place being SO busy. We're going for a meal in Queens one night so will still take the tripod so I can get some beautiful nightime vista's of the city reflected in the Hudson. Like the idea of the steam...forgot about that. We are going up the TOTR so look forward to that though someone said there's a glass screen in the way????

A few people have mentioned B&H...not sure what my will power is like thoughWink

Thanks again and I look forward to any other contributions

KBan
KBan  9457 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2011 - 9:36 PM

Never been Mike, but i'm certain you'll be back with belters

Keith

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2011 - 6:27 PM

Going to B&H will be like a kid in a candy store, love the place, just remember it's closed on Saturdays.

I preferred the views from the TOTR rather than the ESB, go out on the Statton Island ferry (its free) and you can get some great shots back at the Manhattan shores.

Right time of the year for some great shots in Central Park and also the giant ice rink will be open by Rockerfella Plaza.

Oh yeah while your there try Carnegie Deli, best corned beef & pastrami sandwich in NYC and brilliant cheesecake.

mikesmith
17 Nov 2011 - 7:52 PM

Like the idea of cheesecake and pastrami. Only limited time so I hear what you say about the ESB, the ferry sounds good ans do the colours of Central Park. Thanks for all your help folks. I'm getting really excited after all these ideas

User_Removed
18 Nov 2011 - 1:16 PM

Some snow upstate from NYNY yesterday.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.