Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Newbie looking for advice on the Pentax K-x

26 Dec 2009 9:19PM
Hello All, and Best Wishes for 2010!

I am new to ePHOTOzine, and have been reading many reviews, and forum posts. I am planning on moving up from a Canon S5 IS to a DSLR. I have an old Minolta XG1 that I purchased new in about 1982 Smile, but it's been a while since I have looked at any SLRs.

So far my top choice is the Pentax K-x. I really like the low light performance in the reviews (I like to shoot candid portraits, indoors using natural light, which the S5 struggles with), and the 4.7 fps shooting capability (I always seem to catch people with their eyes closed Smile).

I am hoping that there may be some members who own the K-x who could comment on it's performance, and perhaps some who could offer comments on their experience with the K-x and perhaps a comparable system or sytems?

So far it seems the best "bang for the buck" may be the Pentax.

I have read every review I can find on the K-x, and several on a variety of Canon and Nikon systems, but I'd love to hear comments on real world experience - like what type life you can expect from NiMH AA batteries like the Sanyo Eneloops.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

JD

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Dec 2009 9:26PM
P.S. - my favorite subject is my 19 month old granddaughter who never seems to sit still for a second, hence the desire for good lowlight performance Smile. I like to shoot video, but it is not my highest priority - the S5 does a decent job with that.
gpwalton 13 90
26 Dec 2009 11:22PM
Have a look at the Pentaxuser.co.uk site. It is run by the same Management as this site and has loads of information on everything Pentax.
I own a Pentax K20D and its a fabulous camera. I also frequent the Pentaxuser Site and it is very friendly. The forums on there are very good.
27 Dec 2009 12:12AM
Thanks GPWalton, I appreciate the tip. I'll check them out Smile
28 Dec 2009 12:52AM
Hi gpwalton. Thanks again for pointing me to the Pentaxuser site. There's lot's of info on all things Pentax. Just what I was looking for Smile

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and all the best for 2010.

JD

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.