Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

News of the World is being closed down!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
8 Jul 2011 - 11:03 AM

Wasn't there a suggestion that NI had made payments to the Met?

Maybe it is true that the UK has the finest police force that money can buy!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jul 2011 - 11:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Jul 2011 - 11:36 AM

Quote: This will probably save the lovely Becky worse luck.

That she hasn't gone is a disgrace. And they've arrested Coulson (again?) while Cameron continues to stand by the blighter.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:17 PM

If they think they can close down the NOTW and replace it with the Sun then they are obviously assuming that the population are stupid enough not to see through it. The really annoying thing is that the people who buy those papers in the first place probably are stupid enough to at least not care about what has happened.

Getting advertisers to commit will be a bit harder, but I would be very surprised if they don't succeed. This time next year there will be a Murdoch poison paper available on a Sunday as usual.

Ian

thewilliam
8 Jul 2011 - 12:22 PM

But they have been getting away with it!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:22 PM

Quote: If they think they can close down the NOTW and replace it with the Sun then they are obviously assuming that the population are stupid enough not to see through it. The really annoying thing is that the people who buy those papers in the first place probably are stupid enough to at least not care about what has happened.

Exactly. So long as current purchasers of NOTW can have their diet of Z-list celeb scandals (etc) on a Sunday, they will be happy..... for the next 168 years!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:25 PM

Quote: If they think they can close down the NOTW and replace it with the Sun then they are obviously assuming that the population are stupid enough not to see through it.

Well we are talking about readers of the Sun here, the daily newspaper for the intellectually challenged, so they'll fall for it hook, line and sinker!

Ade

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:43 PM

personally I think its going to take journalists to stand up to the Murdoch empire. I've seen journalists say they are fed up with having to make up stories just to get headlines that will sell the papers rather than do what they were trained for. The NUJ needs to find its teeth on this too.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:46 PM

The problem is that empire is so powerful there is a danger for any journalist who stands up to them that they won't find anybody in the industry willing to employ them.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm just waiting for the Murdoch Empire to start spilling the beans on other papers in revenge!

After all, we are told this type of activity is rife within the whole tabloid industry.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96304 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I'm just waiting for the Murdoch Empire to start spilling the beans on other papers in revenge!

In this week's News Of The World perhaps

A "must have buy" Wink

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 12:52 PM

The NUJ are banned from News International I believe.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 1:06 PM

I think Murdoch is undoubtedly a shrewd and ruthless operator: I believe he his hoping that closing down the News of the World will soften up Jeremy Hunt (let's face it, they don't come much softer!) so that he is allowed to take over the remaining shares of B sky B.
I'm sad to say that I think Murdoch might well get away with it...he always does: A lot depends on how deep is the alleged corruption, if any, of the politicians and police in all this.
Murdoch has cosied up to our political leaders ever since, and including, Thatcher and we've continued to go down hill ever since.
Of course, big media proprietors have always tried to influence politicians and the "proletariat" with their right-wing ideology but the Murdochs have taken the whole thing to a global level.
The reason that I bang on so much about the lack of neutrality of the BBC is that if only the BBC actually stuck to its charter and delivered genuine impartiality then we wouldn't need to fear the loathesome Murdoch and his obnoxious media circus. So, because the BBC is interfered with by successive governments, there remains very very little impartiality in the media, generally and people have to resort to the internet where they hopefully, will find websites like "Democracy Now" or "Media Lens". Then, again they may likely find many other websites that are as bad or worse than we get in the Murdochracy. Sad

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 1:22 PM

Quote: After my initial surprise at the move came my cynicism. I dont think this makes any difference whatsoever, the people that run it, the people that own it are still there and nothing has changed, in fact I would go so far as to say its a bit of a joke Sad

Exactly right, NOTW is a brand and many organisations will have similiar content/stock under many brands for just such an event.
Close the brand down, sack all the staff. Then open a new brand up later. The news machine must go on and the guilty paper and its workers take all the punishment. Money is still made under the next brand.

Was there something similiar about 4 years back, a senior news paper editor extredited to the US for illegal operations?

mikehit
mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2011 - 1:43 PM

I heard the back end of a report yesterday that (if I understood correctly) NI had already voiced plans to rationalise the number of publications and NoW was going to be a victim of that, either in part or completely. So these events seem to have made the Murdoch's life a little easier.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Jul 2011 - 1:56 PM

Quote: So these events seem to have made the Murdoch's life a little easier.

There's no peace for the wicked....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.