Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Next step up?

cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
30 Apr 2013 12:16PM
Help please?.........I have had my Nikon D60 for a few years now and although it serves me well, I am starting to think about an upgrade. I will probably (have to) look in the refurb/2nd hand market but have no idea what models to consider. Just seen the D90 mentioned in one of the other threads which seems a possible candidate...what else is there? and what extra do you get for your money besides extra Megapixels?

I'm not tied to Nikon, but wouldn't want to waste (nor could I afford to...) my DX lenses (although one is a Sigma, so presumably I could just get an alternative fitting) so whatever I get needs to be compatible. So Body only???

I'm thinking of something that's a step above `entry level'.....

Budget is likely to be 200-400 - not a lot...hence the not new market.

would appreciate a few pointers GrinGrinGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 12:41PM
You may find a cheap D300 - an excellent body, with more or less pro level controls. Just google it to see what you get.....

NB - edited for typo
cats_123 e2
30 Apr 2013 1:00PM

Quote:You may find a cheap D300 - an excellent body, with more or less pro level controls. Just google it to see what you get.....

NB - edited for typo

thanks for that..
buy it now on ebay min 399 but some auction one's a bit cheaper - worth a look...
wex have one for 369

thanks SmileSmile
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 1:17PM
You're very welcome..... do check out the specs before you go any further.... I still own and use a D300s (variant on the 300) - and rate it very highly Smile
30 Apr 2013 5:59PM
Another vote for the D300, still used by myself and many members here, an excellent camera.
Do check the classifieds on EPZ and MPBPhotographic.co.uk who advertise here, the last time I looked they
had a few in stock, I have used them several times, highly recommended.
David
cats_123 e2
30 Apr 2013 6:34PM
Thanks, David

Will take a look Smile Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 May 2013 5:52AM
If it still serves you well and is not faulty in any way, why change it?.......I'd be more inclined to go and get some better/more glass if I had any spare money. I'm still using a couple of Canon 50d's and an even older 30d, all 3 cameras are capable of producing images crisp and good enough to sell if I was that way inclined. I had a breakdown with one of the 50d's last year which cost me 280 to put right, but when it came back from repair it was as good as new, so whilst I was tempted as the time to go out and buy the latest Canon offering, I held fire and invested the money in other equipment I desired.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need the latest all singing and dancing piece of kit to achieve good images or be ashamed that your kit might be a little older than the person stood next to you. Ultimately the real skill in photography is the person pressing the shutter and not the camera he/she might be using Wink
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
1 May 2013 6:30AM
it seems to be digital thing , when we all used film cameras we kept them till they broke !
cats_123 e2
1 May 2013 6:47AM
thanks, Colin/Ade...maybe it's all hype but it's difficult to reconcile the growing need for more megapixels...surely it must have an effect on picture quality? Even new smart phones have more than the D60 (10.2Mp).

I don't really have the need for new glass either (although if I won an epz Xmas draw I wouldn't say No!!! WinkGrinGrin).

I've settled in to the optimal ranges that suit my needs. Have considered a Lensbaby too, but am not sure I would get sufficient use.
1 May 2013 7:24AM
It is difficult to give good advice.
The D300 although good in it's era is very much old technology.
Buying into old technology and keeping it a few years can put you in the digital dinosaur era having regard to the pace of digital advances.
A D3200 is entry level but is substantially better than the D300 for resolution and dynamic range. As you have the lenses a new body with 2 year warranty is 10% below the top of your budget http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/mcp.php?n=NikonDigitalSLRs=&mc=17
For a little more than 400 you should get a good second hand D7000. Although not top pro specification it is much better all round than your D60, with usefully more resolution, dynamic range and high ISO noise than a D300.
cats_123 e2
1 May 2013 7:45AM
Thanks, Len...much appreciated Smile
1 May 2013 8:16AM

Quote:It seems to be digital thing , when we all used film cameras we kept them till they broke !

But the film kept on improving. In the case of digital cameras the sensors keep improving with regard to sensitivity and dynamic range, the AF gets faster and more accurate and the electronics also get faster. You'll find big differences between a D60 and current DSLR - the sensor will be about 4 times more sensitive to start with. I'd give the D300 a miss. This has the old Sony A700 sensor which is over 5 years old - things have moved on.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
1 May 2013 12:52PM
They have moved on.....but not really all that much and with the 7000 going for around 500 I'd say buy a 300 for less than 300 (what a bargain) and save for another lens.
2 May 2013 8:45AM

Quote:They have moved on.....but not really all that much

It depends what you mean by "not that much" - and what sort of step up the OP wants.
The D300 is a reasonable step up and the D7000 is a bigger step up from a D60.
Obviously more resolution if the aim is cropping or printing big, better noise at most ISO's, higher fps if the aim is best colour shooting 14 bit, Expeed 3, and much better video are potentially for many a lot more than "not really all that much".
cats_123 e2
2 May 2013 9:04AM

Quote:They have moved on.....but not really all that much
It depends what you mean by "not that much" - and what sort of step up the OP wants.
The D300 is a reasonable step up and the D7000 is a bigger step up from a D60.
Obviously more resolution if the aim is cropping or printing big, better noise at most ISO's, higher fps if the aim is best colour shooting 14 bit, Expeed 3, and much better video are potentially for many a lot more than "not really all that much".

I don't do a lot of printing, but cropping and higher iso improvemnet might be a bonus..have no need for video. The D300 sounds about what I'm looking for but if the technology has moved on, I wouldn't want to get `left behind'. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.