Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

"Nice Light"

Westers 10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
13 Jun 2008 8:47PM
I've seen a lot of "nice light" comments, but frankly struggle to see anything at all that's nice about the light in these pictures.

So what's your understanding about nice light?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redjoker 7 981 4 England
13 Jun 2008 8:48PM
what images are we talikn about?
conrad 10 10.9k 116
13 Jun 2008 8:50PM
Oh, I imagine that would depend on the kind of shot, I suppose - maybe warm light, or light on just the right spots, or any kind of light that appeals to the viewer. Don't think there would be just one definition for 'nice light'.
csurry 13 9.2k 92
13 Jun 2008 8:54PM
Ah that'll be from the same person that puts good DOF on an out of focus shot Wink
I'll 'nice light' if you'll 'nice light' me maybe Smile
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 9:00PM

Quote:Ah that'll be from the same person that puts good DOF on an out of focus shot

And more to the point who really cares ?
WelshKiwi 7 3.2k 2 Wales
13 Jun 2008 9:03PM
Live and let live Smile
Mjhearne 8 432 4 Scotland
I try 'nice lighting' to create mood. I dont think there is such thing as perfect lighting. It depends on what you are trying to execute. I rarely use a light metre as I dont always want a perfect exposure.
redjoker 7 981 4 England
i certainly dont...back to the football....
redjoker 7 981 4 England
13 Jun 2008 9:04PM

Quote:Live and let live

so diplomatic Grin
csurry 13 9.2k 92
13 Jun 2008 9:08PM

Quote:Quote:Ah that'll be from the same person that puts good DOF on an out of focus shot And more to the point who really cares ?

If it's out of focus?

And more to the point of what?

There was no point, it was supposed to be humour!
glyndwr 8 66 9 Wales
13 Jun 2008 9:10PM
I don't understand why people are so concerned about the comments others make, a few weeks ago someone took issue about mentioning 'looks good large'.
So what I say, why can't we just all enjoy the site.
csurry 13 9.2k 92
13 Jun 2008 9:11PM

Quote:I don't understand why people are so concerned about the comments others make, a few weeks ago someone took issue about mentioning 'looks good large'.
So what I say, why can't we just all enjoy the site.

I think you'll find Westers is well known for starting controversial threads in the hope that people bite.
Westers 10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
13 Jun 2008 9:19PM
For those that don't understand, or are struggling to see the point, or who don't see the point of the question, one of the most important elements of photography is light, yes? Composition, timing, etc, are also important, but without good lighting (natural or man made) then the picture is bland, crap, worthless.

So light is important and understanding what "nice light" is, is important - not just for getting clicks, etc, but for taking good photographs.

That's why I'm so concerned about others comments - I feel that people don't really appreciate what good light is. The setting/rising Sun doesn't always make good light. Yes it makes nice soft, warm light, but not always clear, vivid light.

So I ask again, what's your view when you say "nice light" ?
Mjhearne 8 432 4 Scotland
13 Jun 2008 9:25PM
People will have different opinions. Its very hard to give a direct answer. What you see as good light others may not agree. I.e This site is used by begginers, amateurs, Professionals, so everyone will have a different opinion. Someone new to photography may class X as a shot with good/nice lighting, but to a professional it may appear pretty bog standard.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.