Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2011 - 6:17 PM

Quote: I wonder how they manage with Peugeot. Grin

We shouldn't get too snooty about our pronunciation in the UK. Most people I have heard pronounce Peugeot as something like Pyoo-zho which is very far from how the French pronounce it.

And I wonder how many British people realise that when they say merci beaucoup in French the chances are they are pronouncing it in a manner that translates as something like "thanks nice ar*e". No wonder the French snigger at us.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2011 - 6:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
31 Aug 2011 - 8:41 PM

...and remember when Ford almost launched the "Cortino", which means goat ***** in Italian.

MeanGreeny
31 Aug 2011 - 8:47 PM

Some more:

When Mitsubishi launched it’s Pajero 4WD in Spain they had the shock of a lifetime. As they were promoting Pajero they forgot to take into account the word “Pajero” means “jerk” in Spanish.

The famous fried Chicken hub KFC’s slogan “finger-lickin good” when marketed was translated into China as“eat your fingers off.” Oops!

GEC and Plesssey had a join company in France which was called GPT. When GPT is pronounced in French, it sounds as “Jay-Pay-Tay” which is similar J’ai pete, which means ” I have farted.”

When Puffs tissue started marketing their tissues in Germany it didn’t do so well. The reason – Puff means “brothel” in Germany.

When Italian mineral water company promoted their mineral water Traficante it was a failure because the word “Traficante” means “drug dealer” in Spanish.

When Bacardi launched a fruit drink named Pavian they meant French chick, but when they promoted it in Germany the same word meant “Baboon.”

Electrolux had to take their slogan down which read “Nothing sucks like Electrolux.”

When Ford tried selling it’s car “Pinto” in Brazil it was a huge failure. The reason - the word “Pinto” is a slang for small penis in Brazil.

Parker pens slogan “Avoid Embarassment – use Quink,” when translated into Spanish came out as “Avoid pregnancy – use Quink.”

When Hunt – Wesson introduced their Big John products in French Canada as Gros Jos, they forgot to note one thing, Gros Jos is the slang for “big breasts.”

big fella
big fella  10484 forum posts England
31 Aug 2011 - 9:35 PM

Come alive with Pepsi, apparently translated into mandarin became "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead!"

And it's Nikon by the way not Nikon! ;0)

User_Removed
31 Aug 2011 - 10:06 PM

LOL!!! (Good to 'see' you Andy Wink)

Goggz
Goggz e2 Member 72301 forum postsGoggz vcard Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2011 - 10:32 PM

Quote: They even manage to add entire syllables on occasion - eg "nuclear" crosses the pond and suddenly becomes "nucular" WinkWinkWink

[GrumpyMode] That's not limited to the USA - lots of UK TV presenters do it to my intense irritation! [/GrumpyMode]

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2011 - 11:33 PM

Quote: ...and remember when Ford almost launched the "Cortino", which means goat ***** in Italian.

It was actually the Capri which was almost named Caprino. Smile

chris.maddock
1 Sep 2011 - 5:18 AM

Quote: They even manage to add entire syllables on occasion - eg "nuclear" crosses the pond and suddenly becomes "nucular" WinkWinkWink [GrumpyMode] That's not limited to the USA - lots of UK TV presenters do it to my intense irritation! [/GrumpyMode]

I know - Quentin Willson did a programme about fission-powered submarines and used the Yank pronunciation throughout. Completely spoiled the programme for me, but I guess it was scripted that way so it later could be sold across the Pond.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3736 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2011 - 7:53 AM

Most women wear ....NYKORS......Tongue

Hobbo

hotpixelphoto

I am blessed I always called them "Nick-on" Wink

But I think we need a name change here. We need to call them "Put-on" (and shoot) Tongue

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2011 - 10:49 AM

Quote: Most women wear ....NYKORS......Tongue

Hobbo

Where's Jas when you need him?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2011 - 12:55 PM

Good point though, aren't most Nikon lenses called Nikkors? Grin

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2011 - 3:11 PM

OK SOMEONE has to ask it;
if that's correct, where do women wear their lenses?

Time to get my jacket & leave. Wink

redhed17
redhed17  8605 forum posts England
2 Sep 2011 - 2:13 PM

The American pronunciation of Aluminium, or should that being the re-spelling with Aluminum, does my head in from time to time when it is mentioned on TV.

And Cecil is pronounced as seesill.

Two countries divided by a common language indeed. Wink

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2722 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 - 2:41 PM

Quote: The American pronunciation of Aluminium, or should that being the re-spelling with Aluminum, does my head in from time to time when it is mentioned on TV.

Humphrey Davy, the (British) discoverer of the element, originally named it alumium before settling on aluminum. It was only later that objecters effectively forced through a change to aluminium. The American spelling, therefore, has a precedent.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.