Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
31 Aug 2011 6:17PM

Quote:I wonder how they manage with Peugeot. Grin

We shouldn't get too snooty about our pronunciation in the UK. Most people I have heard pronounce Peugeot as something like Pyoo-zho which is very far from how the French pronounce it.

And I wonder how many British people realise that when they say merci beaucoup in French the chances are they are pronouncing it in a manner that translates as something like "thanks nice ar*e". No wonder the French snigger at us.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
31 Aug 2011 8:41PM
...and remember when Ford almost launched the "Cortino", which means goat ***** in Italian.
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
31 Aug 2011 8:47PM
Some more:

When Mitsubishi launched it’s Pajero 4WD in Spain they had the shock of a lifetime. As they were promoting Pajero they forgot to take into account the word “Pajero” means “jerk” in Spanish.

The famous fried Chicken hub KFC’s slogan “finger-lickin good” when marketed was translated into China as“eat your fingers off.” Oops!

GEC and Plesssey had a join company in France which was called GPT. When GPT is pronounced in French, it sounds as “Jay-Pay-Tay” which is similar J’ai pete, which means ” I have farted.”

When Puffs tissue started marketing their tissues in Germany it didn’t do so well. The reason – Puff means “brothel” in Germany.

When Italian mineral water company promoted their mineral water Traficante it was a failure because the word “Traficante” means “drug dealer” in Spanish.

When Bacardi launched a fruit drink named Pavian they meant French chick, but when they promoted it in Germany the same word meant “Baboon.”

Electrolux had to take their slogan down which read “Nothing sucks like Electrolux.”

When Ford tried selling it’s car “Pinto” in Brazil it was a huge failure. The reason - the word “Pinto” is a slang for small penis in Brazil.

Parker pens slogan “Avoid Embarassment – use Quink,” when translated into Spanish came out as “Avoid pregnancy – use Quink.”

When Hunt – Wesson introduced their Big John products in French Canada as Gros Jos, they forgot to note one thing, Gros Jos is the slang for “big breasts.”
big fella e2
11 485 England
31 Aug 2011 9:35PM
Come alive with Pepsi, apparently translated into mandarin became "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead!"

And it's Nikon by the way not Nikon! ;0)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
31 Aug 2011 10:06PM
LOL!!! (Good to 'see' you Andy Wink)
Goggz e2
7 2.3k 72 Wales
31 Aug 2011 10:32PM

Quote:They even manage to add entire syllables on occasion - eg "nuclear" crosses the pond and suddenly becomes "nucular" WinkWinkWink
[GrumpyMode] That's not limited to the USA - lots of UK TV presenters do it to my intense irritation! [/GrumpyMode]
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
31 Aug 2011 11:33PM

Quote:...and remember when Ford almost launched the "Cortino", which means goat ***** in Italian.

It was actually the Capri which was almost named Caprino. Smile
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
1 Sep 2011 5:18AM

Quote:They even manage to add entire syllables on occasion - eg "nuclear" crosses the pond and suddenly becomes "nucular" WinkWinkWink [GrumpyMode] That's not limited to the USA - lots of UK TV presenters do it to my intense irritation! [/GrumpyMode]

I know - Quentin Willson did a programme about fission-powered submarines and used the Yank pronunciation throughout. Completely spoiled the programme for me, but I guess it was scripted that way so it later could be sold across the Pond.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
1 Sep 2011 7:53AM
Most women wear ....NYKORS......Tongue

Hobbo
1 Sep 2011 8:27AM
I am blessed I always called them "Nick-on" Wink

But I think we need a name change here. We need to call them "Put-on" (and shoot) Tongue
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
1 Sep 2011 10:49AM

Quote:Most women wear ....NYKORS......Tongue

Hobbo

Where's Jas when you need him?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Sep 2011 12:55PM
Good point though, aren't most Nikon lenses called Nikkors? Grin
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
1 Sep 2011 3:11PM
OK SOMEONE has to ask it;
if that's correct, where do women wear their lenses?

Time to get my jacket & leave. Wink
redhed17 e2
9 680 England
2 Sep 2011 2:13PM
The American pronunciation of Aluminium, or should that being the re-spelling with Aluminum, does my head in from time to time when it is mentioned on TV.

And Cecil is pronounced as seesill.

Two countries divided by a common language indeed. Wink
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2011 2:41PM

Quote:The American pronunciation of Aluminium, or should that being the re-spelling with Aluminum, does my head in from time to time when it is mentioned on TV.

Humphrey Davy, the (British) discoverer of the element, originally named it alumium before settling on aluminum. It was only later that objecters effectively forced through a change to aluminium. The American spelling, therefore, has a precedent.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.