Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

musicianbruce
5 Sep 2011 - 10:10 PM

Aluminium, router, and one I personally hate 'leisure'.
I lived in the states for 25 years and still hate these.

Last Modified By musicianbruce at 5 Sep 2011 - 10:12 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Sep 2011 - 10:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2011 - 10:47 PM

ris O toe TongueTongueTongue

redhed17
redhed17  8635 forum posts England
6 Sep 2011 - 3:52 AM

Quote: Humphrey Davy, the (British) discoverer of the element, originally named it alumium before settling on aluminum. It was only later that objecters effectively forced through a change to aluminium. The American spelling, therefore, has a precedent.

Thanks for that Oldblokeh.

Doesn't make it right though does it? Wink Grin

What about Jagwah Sad

BarrieNeilPhotography

One I do like though is 'gotten'. I think it's a perfect word when used in a suitable context.

When it comes to 'hates' can I mention people who use the word 'brought' when they mean ''bought'? (as in, I just brought a new lens).. aaaargh. Or those who pronounce the letter 'h' as 'Haitch'.

chris.maddock
6 Sep 2011 - 8:29 AM

Quote: router,

As in network device or woodworking machine? What's wrong with it - for either application?

Quote: and one I personally hate 'leisure'.

Can't see what's wrong with that either, unless it's the context in which it's used?

thewilliam
6 Sep 2011 - 11:12 AM

In many cases, American usage is just archaic English. We used to speak like that 200 years ago, but the two languages have diverged.

In a few more centuries will American be as different from English as it is from German or Danish?

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
6 Sep 2011 - 11:57 AM

Quote: In many cases, American usage is just archaic English. We used to speak like that 200 years ago, but the two languages have diverged.

In a few more centuries will American be as different from English as it is from German or Danish?

There's a great deal about this in "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson - it's a great read for anyone interested in language

User_Removed
6 Sep 2011 - 12:21 PM

As in network device or woodworking machine? What's wrong with it - for either application?

and one I personally hate 'leisure'.

Can't see what's wrong with that either, unless it's the context in which it's used?

I think the problem in both cases is the Yank pronunciation rather than the spelling.

In UK the router in the network is pronounced "root-er" while the woodworking tool is pronounced "Rout-er" and leisure is pronounced "Lez-joor" rather than the American "leez-jur".

Such fun!

chris.maddock
6 Sep 2011 - 4:18 PM

and one I personally hate 'leisure'.

I think the problem in both cases is the Yank pronunciation rather than the spelling.

In UK the router in the network is pronounced "root-er" while the woodworking tool is pronounced "Rout-er" and leisure is pronounced "Lez-joor" rather than the American "leez-jur".

Aha, completely forgot "leezure" - and me a good H2G2 fan too Sad

User_Removed
6 Sep 2011 - 4:32 PM

But what really makes me furious is when those Yanks refer to us UK citizens as "Brits". For some reason that one really grates. But, then, I suppose that those Americans of a confederate persuasion feel much the same about "Yanks"

chris.maddock
6 Sep 2011 - 4:56 PM

Quote: But what really makes me furious is when those Yanks refer to us UK citizens as "Brits".

Not a problem really, I just refer to them as Merkins WinkWink

keith selmes
6 Sep 2011 - 5:21 PM

Quote: Americans of a confederate persuasion feel much the same about "Yanks"

I understand from some people in the southern states, the correct term is not "Yanks" but "damnyanks", or possibly "damnyankees", and no, it does not apply to them.

(I don't mind "Brits", never bothered me)

keith selmes
6 Sep 2011 - 5:22 PM

Quote: In a few more centuries will American be as different from English as it is from German or Danish?

we'll all be speaking chinese a lot sooner'n that Wink

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43556 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2011 - 6:55 PM

The Honda Jazz, was originally named the Fitta, but that is the Norwegian / Swedish word for the four letter word beginning with c which is obscene slang for the female genitals.

redhed17
redhed17  8635 forum posts England
6 Sep 2011 - 9:00 PM

Quote: In a few more centuries will American be as different from English as it is from German or Danish?we'll all be speaking chinese a lot sooner'n that Wink

I think it may be Chinese English, (Chinglish?) with all the mispronunciations and slang they bring to the game. Wink More Chinese speak English that there are English (or British) people, it's bound to have an effect.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.