Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 10:34 AM

Quote: You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Sep 2011 - 10:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
23 Sep 2011 - 11:07 AM

Who cares how the name is pronounced?

What really matter is whether you can afford to buy them!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 11:19 AM

Quote: You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.

keithh
keithh  1022789 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 12:13 PM

I'm turning Japanese

Photogeek
Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 2:04 PM

He thinks he's turning Japanese
He really thinks so
Turning Japanese . . . . .

. . . . Could be a song there Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 2:35 PM

Quote:

. . . . Could be a song there

Oh surely not? Wink

redhed17
redhed17  8640 forum posts England
23 Sep 2011 - 2:45 PM

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.

I wouldn't go that far, but when they talk about how places are pronounced in other countries I always think of Arkansas (arkansaw) and Connecticut (ceneticut). Although saying that, I can how some UK names can confuse even us. Towcester! (toaster). Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 2:51 PM

Americans have problems with Leicestershire and the like!

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 6:30 PM

Depends where you are. There's a Worcester in Massachusetts, and they're all perfectly able to pronounce it "Woosta"

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 6:36 PM

And Gloucester. And Plymouth.

thatmanbrian
23 Sep 2011 - 7:26 PM

I'm not prejudiced or anything but it irks me when they say thorrow instead of thorough. I like the idea someone had of mispronouncing their words on purpose.

Not really fair of course as Americans are quite entitled to pronounce how they like. But I rather like the idea that we Brits preserve our identity through our pronounciation, esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian

User_Removed
23 Sep 2011 - 7:45 PM

Quote: esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian

Presumably pronounced "floomox". In Scotland we spell it "flummox" and pronounce it "flummax".

There comes a time in the life of every EPZ forumite when he regrets even having started a thread!!

Wink

keith selmes
24 Sep 2011 - 12:29 AM

Quote: And Plymouth.

plimmuff is not that ard to say, innit

Quote:

Connecticut (ceneticut)

as I heard it, there was d in cenedicut Smile

cosmicnode
28 Sep 2011 - 6:52 PM

Whilst watching a power boat race on the telly the American commentator said that the boats were rounding the "Boooeee" It took a while to work out that he meant "buoy"

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2011 - 9:12 PM

Symal-tanious instead of Simultaneous

The worst is Semi.........Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.