Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 10:34AM

Quote:You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
23 Sep 2011 11:07AM
Who cares how the name is pronounced?

What really matter is whether you can afford to buy them!
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 11:19AM

Quote:You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Sep 2011 12:13PM
I'm turning Japanese
Photogeek 9 605 6 Wales
23 Sep 2011 2:04PM
He thinks he's turning Japanese
He really thinks so
Turning Japanese . . . . .

. . . . Could be a song there Tongue
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 2:35PM

Quote:

. . . . Could be a song there

Oh surely not ? Wink
redhed17 9 666 England
23 Sep 2011 2:45PM

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.

I wouldn't go that far, but when they talk about how places are pronounced in other countries I always think of Arkansas (arkansaw) and Connecticut (ceneticut). Although saying that, I can how some UK names can confuse even us. Towcester! (toaster). Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 2:51PM
Americans have problems with Leicestershire and the like!
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 6:30PM
Depends where you are. There's a Worcester in Massachusetts, and they're all perfectly able to pronounce it "Woosta"
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
23 Sep 2011 6:36PM
And Gloucester. And Plymouth.
thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 7:26PM
I'm not prejudiced or anything but it irks me when they say thorrow instead of thorough. I like the idea someone had of mispronouncing their words on purpose.

Not really fair of course as Americans are quite entitled to pronounce how they like. But I rather like the idea that we Brits preserve our identity through our pronounciation, esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 7:45PM

Quote:esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian

Presumably pronounced "floomox". In Scotland we spell it "flummox" and pronounce it "flummax".

There comes a time in the life of every EPZ forumite when he regrets even having started a thread!!

Wink
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 12:29AM

Quote:And Plymouth.
plimmuff is not that ard to say, innit

Quote:

Connecticut (ceneticut)

as I heard it, there was d in cenedicut Smile
cosmicnode 5 21 England
28 Sep 2011 6:52PM
Whilst watching a power boat race on the telly the American commentator said that the boats were rounding the "Boooeee" It took a while to work out that he meant "buoy"
bfgstew 8 668 105 England
28 Sep 2011 9:12PM
Symal-tanious instead of Simultaneous

The worst is Semi.........Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.