Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Night time photography with Nikon D3000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chuikudu
    chuikudu  5 United Kingdom
    7 Nov 2013 - 8:01 AM

Hi All
    I live near Blackpool so have been out and taken a few shots of the famous Illuminations but the results were disappointing. Despite using a tripod my pictures were not all sharp and a lot of them were grainy. Can anyone out there give me some tips on night time photography like shooting mode, shutter speeds, aperture, ISO settings, white balance, etc.
    My gear is a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 Nikon lens and also a Nikon 70-300 VR lens.
    Cheers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Nov 2013 - 8:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub
    llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Nov 2013 - 10:28 AM

It really will depend upon the situation, if you are not getting sharp pictures either your camera and tripod combo were not sturdy enough or your focus was some way out, here are a couple of shots that maybe kind of analogous interms of dynamic range, both taken with a Canon 50D but should not make any difference.

Tamron 17-50 tripod mounted, f11, ISO100 30 second exposure flash used to illuminate shoes on the banks of the river.

Tamron 70-300 VC tripod monted VC off, f11 ISO100 8 second exposure.

Last Modified By llareggub at 7 Nov 2013 - 10:29 AM
    GarethRobinson
    7 Nov 2013 - 11:41 AM

sturdy tripod and if you dont wont to freeze movement use iso 100 or 200 f11 at the wide end and turn vr off and use self timer or cable release when using a tripod.

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4204 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2013 - 2:05 PM

If you used auto focus it may have latched onto wrong area like a bright light near by. You should try manual focus along with other advice above.
    Post an image in the critique gallery with settings for good advice from a range of people.

213hardy
    213hardy e2 Member 5469 forum posts213hardy vcard England
    7 Nov 2013 - 6:05 PM

I too use a D3000, and have various night shots in my pf, taken with a 55-300mm and the 18-55mm. Probably used different settings for all of them, but as a guide, ISO 100, f/11 upwards and anywhere between 3 and 30secs+ depending on what i've been shooting.

THIS was taken withe the 18-55mm, 3 sec exp

And THIS was taken with the 55-300mm 30 Sec exp.

And i use a remote to trigger shutter, also use a very sturdy tripod.

To a certain extent i've just used trial and error, to find the settings that work for me.

Hopefully i've been of some help.

Den

Belleyeteres
    7 Nov 2013 - 7:57 PM

Looking at the shoes most of them are womens so I would cut her budget and buy a prime lens.

chuikudu
    chuikudu  5 United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:29 AM

Many thanks to all who have commented so far - please keep the advice coming. I will get out and take more shots and will try to take on the valuable advice given so far. I will also post a shoot I took last week on my portfolio. Feel free to look and comment. It may give you "experts" a better idea of where I went wrong.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.