Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Night-time wedding?.....

SamLS e2
8 232 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2009 1:31PM
....well, not really but we're doing a wedding a few days after Christmas and the service is so late in the afternoon that by the time they come out it'll be dark. Also, our luck is that it'll rain.

The inside of the hall isn't very pretty so we're now trying to plan where / how we do the romantic pictures. Due to the weather I'd say outside pictures in the church grounds are probably a non-no.

Really don't want to use flash but it'll obviously be unavoidable, but how have you made the most of this situation?

Cheers

Sam

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mark_delta e2
7 1.3k
8 Dec 2009 1:57PM
I did a family wedding last week (distant uncle in law of bride) it was raining, quite dark and really drab, got a shoot through brolly up on a stand about 7 foot up, with a battery metz ct45 flash head and long sync cable.
balanced it off against the hot shoe gun which was diffused, nowhere to do pictures except outside on the edge of a cricket field that's on the side of a hill.
the shoot through gives a nice warm sunny effect to a drab day and the main gun flash is stopped down and diffused to back fill the off side
example here (crop) of lighting technique used, not my wedding photography skills as I never do weddings other than relatives or celebrities Link:
link
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Dec 2009 2:53PM
As Mark has said....!!!

Also check out this site....!

Flash is not all bad, When used correctly....Wink
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2009 3:53PM
Damn, Mark - that groom looks like he's about to headbutt you :-0
mark_delta e2
7 1.3k
8 Dec 2009 4:40PM

Quote:Damn, Mark - that groom looks like he's about to headbutt you :

Yeah, no acquiring for taste ? he doesn't do smiling...
angej
10 477 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2009 5:01PM
Have you thought about using the inside of the Church itself for some romantic shots should it be raining or dark outside. The walls, stained glass windows and ambient lighting should make for some nice shots.
8 Dec 2009 7:23PM
Get yourself a good tripod for your inside shots and try mixing ambient light with flash or rely solely on ambient light. You'll need to shoot in raw as the colour temps will be all over the shop - give them a mix of natural and slightly warm looking ambiemt light shots - the warm ones go down a treat....
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
8 Dec 2009 10:00PM
Ismm
Quote:Get yourself a good tripod for your inside shots and try mixing ambient light with flash or rely solely on ambient light. You'll need to shoot in raw as the colour temps will be all over the shop - give them a mix of natural and slightly warm looking ambiemt light shots - the warm ones go down a treat....

I thought Sam was a professional wedding photographer ?.
SamLS e2
8 232 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2009 7:42AM

Quote:I thought Sam was a professional wedding photographer ?.

Haha, depends who's asking!

I don't pay my mortgage with this (actually I don't have a mortgage but you know what I mean). Doing this for a living is slightly further off than my retirement age but that's more down to my appalling marketing skills than my abilities with the camera.

Back to your replies..

Thanks for these, some interesting thoughts here. With the technical replies I know this stuff but was looking for inspiration and thoughts on settings (scenery, not camera) when outside is too dark/cold/wet and inside has nothing going for it.

Cheers

Sam
Snapper_T e2
10 848 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2009 7:46PM
I have a wedding on the 27th at 3pm, so not much ambient around for that. I'm thinking along the lines of angej, using the inside of the church, with flash and shoot thru brolly. There may be a little ambient light outside for a few too, especially if you get a good sunset.

A few ideas:
Click
link
link
link
link

Trev

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.