Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nik effex HDR pro 2

24 Oct 2012 11:48PM
Hi,
I am interested in buying a copy of Nik HDR effex pro 2 software to run on a Mac but can anyone help with the following please? It states in the requirements that you need photoshop or aperture etc and that it is not compatible with PS Elements. I have just bought elements 11 so this is disappointing. However, I have read on other sites that contrary to this you can use it as a stand alone programme. What is confusing me is that if it can be used as a stand alone programme then why does the manufacturer state it cant? Does it not work at all with PS Elements or do some features not work or is just simply that you have to use the two programmes separately? I really would be grateful if anyone could clarify this so I know wether to buy it or not.
Thanks
Keith

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

25 Oct 2012 8:36AM
Keith, It will work as a stand alone product however it is very slow. It definatley will not work with elements. It will work with Lightroom though.

Why HDR Efex pro? Having used this and Photomatix, i much prefer Photomatix for more of the type of processing that i do.

Also download both programs, the Nik Software one has a 15 day trial with no limitations and the Photomatix trial doesnt run out but does leave a watermark.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 10:26AM
Try the Oloneo trial as well. It is significantly better than PM and can be used from PS, LR and stand alone; it may be possible to use it from Elements but I have not checked this.

Dave
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 11:37AM
As far as I know, Oloneo is PC only and Keith is looking at Mac software - just a thought.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
25 Oct 2012 11:41AM

Quote:Keith, It will work as a stand alone product however it is very slow..

How do you do that? I can launch it on its own but then can't find any way of importing the image files I want to merge. (Not that I would want to use it in this way, even if I could)

I virtually always use HDR EfexPro2 from within Lightroom where it is very easy indeed. It is a very much better product than Photomatix in my opinion.

As far as speed is concerned, both HDR EfexPro2 and Photomatix are slower or faster depending upon the number of files you are merging and the size of those files.

The beauty of using it from within Lightroom is that the resultant HDR Tiff image is automatically incorporated into the LR catalogue alongside the images from which you created the HDR.
25 Oct 2012 8:37PM
Thankyou everyone for your help. The trial version actually works by opening HDR effex pro 2 - then file then open then selecting the files I want to use. The files are then saved and can be opened in PS Elements for further tweaks.
Keith
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Nov 2012 11:53AM
I don't want to cross-post three times in one morning or the moderators might get very shirty!

But here is a link to another thread where I have posted an example of HDR using the Nik product. (It's the post with the two photos of a mountain sunset)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.