Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nik Silver EFX

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Jan 2011 9:04PM
I usually go through all the presets, then go to "High Structure" Wink

sure we all have our faves Wink

Some presets add grain for you don't they - I think the coloured ones do, cyan and copper etc.

Here's a castle thing in wales I got on weds - think I may have straightened it up in PS, then just let Silver EFX do the rest

-mg-9373-4-5adjust.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geraint 8 715 34 Wales
28 Jan 2011 9:09PM
Yes the "antique plate" and many of the film emulators add grain, though I've found that they go a bit too far most of the time, so I pull the grain back, reduce the vignetting or edge burn and save them as favourites. Nik Software's entire suite is a godsend - quite a few gimmicky filters but I use about 5 consistently in my workflow and they save me hours of work and have also added value to my sales.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2011 11:00PM
just installed it, first glance it looks awesome
Phil
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Apr 2011 7:13PM
Good review of it in Digital Photography this month.

As my 15-day trial had expired, I tried to buy it. The American Nik site will not accept payment from UK. The only choice seems to be the money-grabbing alternatives from the Rip-Off Britain conmen.

Anyone found a UK price less than £145?
28 Sep 2012 6:13PM
Dont talk to me about this company its ripping you off!

I downloaded a free 15 day trial of Nik Softwares Silver Efx Pro as I love black and white photography
The software cost $199 for a digital download.
My trial expired and I was away on holiday, so when I got back I tried to re-deem the discount code they sent me but it wouldn't work. So I downloaded the software again and tried to buy it from the shop.
But now its coming up at 199 Euros! – now this to me seems a bit of a racket because at $199 at current exchange rates its £122.84 but if I buy it in Euros its £158.62 a full £35.78 more expensive for the SAME software from the same company.
Does this sound like good business practice? is this ethical? is this going to attract customers?
Needless to say I am not going to be penalized by being in the UK, the trial was downloaded from the USA site but your directed to the European (dearer) site to buy – I feel like I have been had
I contacted Nik Software this is what they said:
“Our prices for the US and EU shop have many contributing factors: economies, taxes, exchange rates, etc. As a European customer you will need to order from the EU shop. You can direct further questions about the prices of those programs to those that will have the best answers for you, our EU support team:”
Now I have been in business over 30 years, both nationally and Internationally and in my time have imported all sorts of Goods from the USA in US$ direct to my door and as digital downloads. Nik are basically saying it costs them more to supply a software product in digital download format in Europe/UK than the USA – Its complete bo******s
A download is a download and costs me (the supplier) the same regardless where my end clients live. There is no product to ship, no carriage/distribution costs. So customer Services at Nik Software explain to mewhy I can go on your USA .com site, download your product(silver efx pro 2) at $199 take out the 15 day trial, but when I go to pay for it you automatically direct me to your European site where I am forced to pay for it in Euros at 199 Euros and pay a significantly higher price? due to the $ being better than the Euro – I think you’re profiteering at our expense
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
28 Sep 2012 6:57PM

Quote:I usually go through all the presets, then go to "High Structure"
You don't say! Grin
One of the presets I never use. But as you say, strokes for folks.
x
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
28 Sep 2012 7:50PM
Ian,

See Here

You can get Silver Efex Pro2 for £24.90

However, if you don't trust eBay, Amazon.co.uk are currently selling it for £137.

At least part of the UK price premium over US prices is accounted for by 20% VAT which Nik are legally obliged to charge on sales to UK.

It's one of those crazy things. Another is the fact that if you buy Adobe software like Lightroom or Photoshop, the download actually costs more than the disc version - the reason being that the disc version is charged at the UK VAT rate but the download is serviced by Adobe's Ireland branch and Ireland has a higher VAT rathe than UK.
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2012 11:50PM
Hmmmm.....Take care with these downloads as I bought one from someone with what I considered to be good feedback etc and it did not work. He sent me a second license after the first one failed and this did not work either so I gave up and put my loss of hard earned cash down to experience.
RobboB e2
8 90 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2012 10:13AM
I have just got a copy through Amazon. Just played around with it on a couple of shots and seems really easy to use and powerful at the same time. I think it will improve my mono work no end

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.