Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 lens - recommendations for tripod/set up

Sassie 7 189 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2009 1:35PM
Those of you who are using this lens or similar - what tripod and set up do you have?

Just getting this lens to use with D300 but will need to upgrade tripod. I was wondering about Wimberbley and Markins heads which I read are good.

I know I'll need a good sturdy tripod & head but bear in mind that I'm a slightly built female so would want to go for the lightest of the sturdiest I can get away with without risking lens/camera damage.

Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks, Sas

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geniehawk e2
8 181 England
27 Nov 2009 9:40AM
Hi Sas, just bumping this question as I have the same lens but am looking to improve my tripod/head and would be interested in any answers given.

Jeannie.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
27 Nov 2009 10:04AM
Have you seen the review and video we've added a few days ago showing that lens on a Jobu BWG-Pro Gimbel head ?
geniehawk e2
8 181 England
27 Nov 2009 10:42AM
No, I hadn't seen it, I will look now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jeannie.
27 Nov 2009 4:17PM
The lightest of the sturdiest is a Gitzo Series 3 6x. Budget 500 Sad
I prefer the Gitzo off center ball heads for general use though, like a Benbo, there is a knack to using them.
For focus tracking I use the Manfrotto 393 - similar in principle to the Wimberly - at 125.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
27 Nov 2009 6:50PM
With a 300mm f/2.8 you can get away with a decent ball head and the wimberley sidekick, this is particularly useful if you want to swap to a shorter lens for a context shot, or even dare I say a landscape or two.

The importance really is the sturdiness of the setup, there's no point sacrificing quality to save a few grams in weight in the tripod.

I have both a series 3 gitzo and a new series 5. I use either a ball head such as the kirk bh-1 with sidekick or not as the mood takes, or the full wimberley head.

Pete it's spelt GIMBAl! Tut! Editor indeed.

I can't believe you gave Will something designed for an action photographer to test. The man famous for scaring squirrels at Formby!!!
27 Nov 2009 7:57PM
I use a basic Manfrotto 190 and a large benbo11 with my 300mm 2.8, though to be honist I often use it hand held as I can move it around so much easier. Depends on the light really. The benbo is a great tripod... if you like that sort of thing, many don't Smile One of the first times I used the tripod it fell over and I nearly killed my nikkor 10.5mm lens.... been fine since though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.