Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 lens - recommendations for tripod/set up

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sassie
    Sassie  6189 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Nov 2009 - 1:35 PM

Those of you who are using this lens or similar - what tripod and set up do you have?

Just getting this lens to use with D300 but will need to upgrade tripod. I was wondering about Wimberbley and Markins heads which I read are good.

I know I'll need a good sturdy tripod & head but bear in mind that I'm a slightly built female so would want to go for the lightest of the sturdiest I can get away with without risking lens/camera damage.

Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks, Sas

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Nov 2009 - 1:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geniehawk
    geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
    27 Nov 2009 - 9:40 AM

Hi Sas, just bumping this question as I have the same lens but am looking to improve my tripod/head and would be interested in any answers given.

Jeannie.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2009 - 10:04 AM

Have you seen the review and video we've added a few days ago showing that lens on a Jobu BWG-Pro Gimbel head?

geniehawk
    geniehawk  7181 forum posts England
    27 Nov 2009 - 10:42 AM

No, I hadn't seen it, I will look now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jeannie.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    27 Nov 2009 - 4:17 PM

The lightest of the sturdiest is a Gitzo Series 3 6x. Budget 500 Sad
    I prefer the Gitzo off center ball heads for general use though, like a Benbo, there is a knack to using them.
    For focus tracking I use the Manfrotto 393 - similar in principle to the Wimberly - at 125.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2009 - 6:50 PM

With a 300mm f/2.8 you can get away with a decent ball head and the wimberley sidekick, this is particularly useful if you want to swap to a shorter lens for a context shot, or even dare I say a landscape or two.

The importance really is the sturdiness of the setup, there's no point sacrificing quality to save a few grams in weight in the tripod.

I have both a series 3 gitzo and a new series 5. I use either a ball head such as the kirk bh-1 with sidekick or not as the mood takes, or the full wimberley head.

Pete it's spelt GIMBAl! Tut! Editor indeed.

I can't believe you gave Will something designed for an action photographer to test. The man famous for scaring squirrels at Formby!!!

Last Modified By csurry at 27 Nov 2009 - 6:52 PM
    PJSPhotography
    27 Nov 2009 - 7:57 PM

I use a basic Manfrotto 190 and a large benbo11 with my 300mm 2.8, though to be honist I often use it hand held as I can move it around so much easier. Depends on the light really. The benbo is a great tripod... if you like that sort of thing, many don't Smile One of the first times I used the tripod it fell over and I nearly killed my nikkor 10.5mm lens.... been fine since though.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.