Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II plus TC-17E II, TC-20E II or TC-20E III - advice...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    NoelineSmith
    22 Apr 2013 - 11:15 AM

I currently have the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR which is a great lens but I have had a windfall Grin so am looking at getting the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II as well as a teleconvertor. I'm thinking about the TC-17E II or the TC-20E II ...... or the TC-20E III.
    Combined with the 70-200 the TC-17 will actually give me more 'reach' than I have with my trusty 70-300 (as well as a wider aperture fixed throughout the range). I'm considering the TC-20s simply because if I can 'reach' even further - why not?! Apart from the stop difference (which is a consideration) are there any other reasons for not going for one of the TC-20s? From what I've read it seems that the TC-20E II is quite soft compared to the TC-17 ...... but what about the TC-20E III (which I can't seem to find much about)? Also, how soft is soft? Is it something that you'd only notice when really nitpicking or is it that obvious? Any experience, advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Apr 2013 - 11:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2013 - 11:42 AM

you wont regret the lens that is for sure! As for the teleconverters, well I got the Kenco Pro 300 version of the 2x but I now regret that and wish I hadn't been so "greedy" as it does soften. I will eventually get a 1.7; but to be honest I don't use the teleconverter very much as I don't yet do much wildlife photogarphy (and I have a Sigma 150-500). The 70 -200 VR I is my favourite lens Smile

scottishphototours

The 1.7x has always been rated as optically superior to the 2x, so I'd say stick with the 1.7. As for the lens, well it's just superb so go and splash the cash!

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM

I regularly use that combination (70-200 f2.8 VR + 1.7TCII) and am more than happy with it, you can, if you look really hard, see a slight degredation of the image with the tc on (as with any tc), but the extra reach it gives more than makes up for it!
    you won't be disappointed with your choice!

Joe B

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:17 PM

TC's have plusses and minuses,
    They are a lot cheaper than a 300 or 400 f2.8 prime or a 200-400 f4 zoom.
    They do increasingly magnify the the central portion of the image with magnification and in consequence lose some image quality. On the other hand the quality lost with a 2x is a lot less than cropping say 24MP to 6MP.
    A big challenge of using long lenses especially with relatively slow effective apertures is camera shake. One way of limiting this challenge is http://www.naturephotographers.net/ejp0801-1.html

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England63 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:59 PM

As you have not uploaded any images it is difficult to assess what type of lens would be best for you.... if wildlife you could be better off with the Nikkor AFS 300mm F4 and a TC14E 11 which would give you 420mm at f5,.6.... just a thought.

Trev

NoelineSmith
    23 Apr 2013 - 8:31 AM

Thank you all for your feedback - much appreciated. Apart from rushing out this instant to get the lens I think I'll stick to the TC1.7 - I was just being greedy really Smile
    Thanks also for the link and suggestions re other lenses. I tend to do mostly general shooting with a bit of motorsport (classic bikes) thrown in and garden/park wildlife where the wildlife is relatively tame! The 70-300 has met my needs in terms of reach pretty well so going up to an effective 340mm is an improvement there anyway.
    As for not uploading any images - I'm a bit of a hoverer here with lots of looking in from the sidelines but not the courage to 'dive in'! Maybe I should .....
    Thanks very much everyone for your help.

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

Careful if you are buying the TC-17E II; it won't work with a lot of lenses the 70-300 being one of them I believe; as a user the TC-17E II produce phenomenal results considering it is just a teleconverter giving a relatively inexpensive way of increasing focal length; I use mine with the 70-200 f/2.8 VR Mk.II and 300mm f/2.8. I also use mine with the latest Nikon 105mm Macro.

The image below is taken with a 300mm f/2.8 plus TC-17E II hand held on a D800 and well cropped.

winter-dunlin.jpg

Peter.

Last Modified By peterjones at 23 Apr 2013 - 9:06 AM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 9:44 AM

Quote: Careful if you are buying the TC-17E II; it won't work with a lot of lenses the 70-300 being one of them.

On a detail the TC-14e and 20e will not work either on many Nikon lenses, including the 70-300.
    These converters have large forward protruding front elements and will only fit on lenses with sufficient space at the back to attach this type of converter.
    The Nikon 70-200 lenses have sufficient space for these converters to be fitted.

NoelineSmith
    7 May 2013 - 9:38 PM

Thanks for the warnings - I learned that the hard way a couple of years or so ago!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.