Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikkormat and Canon A1, AE1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    2 Jul 2013 - 4:41 PM

A friend just gave me a gift of a Nikkormat EL, a Canon A1 and a Canon AE1, together with a load of lenses, flash, motordrive, filters, etc., etc. (even some old films with 1994 expiry dates)

Once I have replaced the batteries and downloaded pdfs of the manuals, I am going to have fun testing them and exposing a few films. I could still use the Nikorr lenses (manually) on my dSLRs but what a pity that Canon changed their lens mount.

What really takes me back are the multiple viewfinder focussing aids. Amazingly accurate and so easy to use.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jul 2013 - 4:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113049 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2013 - 8:15 PM

I had a Canon AE1 and it was a joy to use.

At the time it was a big shock and a lot of disappointment to some who invested heavily in Canon before they changed their lens mount.

Ken.

ps, enjoy!!!

Last Modified By franken at 2 Jul 2013 - 8:15 PM
    polis_928tadw59

Gundog, Re your Canon FD lenses, have a look at www.srb-photographic.com (based in Dunstable) They sell adaptors so that various lenses can be used on other makes of camera bodies. They have a vast range advertised.
    Regarding your Canon A1, and possibly the AE1, the are susceptible to what is known as Canon "cough/sqeak" which affects the shutters. But they are repairable. I have 2 A1's, one has a slight 'cough' and the other is perfect.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    3 Jul 2013 - 5:25 PM

Quote:
    Regarding your Canon A1, and possibly the AE1, the are susceptible to what is known as Canon "cough/sqeak" which affects the shutters. But they are repairable. I have 2 A1's, one has a slight 'cough' and the other is perfect.

Happily, I think the Canons had been so little used that they are not demonstrating any of those problems (yet). But I am aware of them and will bear them in mind when properly stripping the cameras down and giving them a good service. I just wish my friend had had an F1. There is something about totally mechanical cameras that still appeals to me.

pentaxpete
    4 Jul 2013 - 9:42 AM

I too was GIVEN a Canon A1 outfit -- it HAS the famous Canon Squeak after being in a loft for many years since the Brother died -- I have tried lubricating it many times but cannot 'hit the right spot' after taking off the baseplate.

polis_928tadw59

I found a video repair for the Canon squeak somewhere last year, but I did not attempt it. I may have found it on YouTube, or another photo forums site.
    However, there is a firm which advertises on ebay (in the Canon FD section there) - CS Antiques (Surrey) Canon A 'squeak' repair - 17-95p. Might be worth trying to find them.

hcbph
    hcbph  1
    4 Jul 2013 - 11:57 PM

I have both an A1 & a AE1 along with a number of FD lenses. When I got a T4I, I picked up an FD to EOS adapter and tried it out. It can work but can add some complexity to doing your focusing. It's like a TC, you're adding another lens element in there. It's been a few months since I shot some film but I will again. I'm also getting out my darkroom gear once my last daughter gets a place of her own.

Last Modified By hcbph at 5 Jul 2013 - 12:01 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.