Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikkormat and Canon A1, AE1

Gundog 1 624 Scotland
2 Jul 2013 4:41PM
A friend just gave me a gift of a Nikkormat EL, a Canon A1 and a Canon AE1, together with a load of lenses, flash, motordrive, filters, etc., etc. (even some old films with 1994 expiry dates)

Once I have replaced the batteries and downloaded pdfs of the manuals, I am going to have fun testing them and exposing a few films. I could still use the Nikorr lenses (manually) on my dSLRs but what a pity that Canon changed their lens mount.

What really takes me back are the multiple viewfinder focussing aids. Amazingly accurate and so easy to use.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
2 Jul 2013 8:15PM
I had a Canon AE1 and it was a joy to use.

At the time it was a big shock and a lot of disappointment to some who invested heavily in Canon before they changed their lens mount.

Ken.

ps, enjoy!!!
3 Jul 2013 11:47AM
Gundog, Re your Canon FD lenses, have a look at www.srb-photographic.com (based in Dunstable) They sell adaptors so that various lenses can be used on other makes of camera bodies. They have a vast range advertised.
Regarding your Canon A1, and possibly the AE1, the are susceptible to what is known as Canon "cough/sqeak" which affects the shutters. But they are repairable. I have 2 A1's, one has a slight 'cough' and the other is perfect.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
3 Jul 2013 5:25PM

Quote:
Regarding your Canon A1, and possibly the AE1, the are susceptible to what is known as Canon "cough/sqeak" which affects the shutters. But they are repairable. I have 2 A1's, one has a slight 'cough' and the other is perfect.

Happily, I think the Canons had been so little used that they are not demonstrating any of those problems (yet). But I am aware of them and will bear them in mind when properly stripping the cameras down and giving them a good service. I just wish my friend had had an F1. There is something about totally mechanical cameras that still appeals to me.
pentaxpete 9 553 1 England
4 Jul 2013 9:42AM
I too was GIVEN a Canon A1 outfit -- it HAS the famous Canon Squeak after being in a loft for many years since the Brother died -- I have tried lubricating it many times but cannot 'hit the right spot' after taking off the baseplate.
4 Jul 2013 1:16PM
I found a video repair for the Canon squeak somewhere last year, but I did not attempt it. I may have found it on YouTube, or another photo forums site.
However, there is a firm which advertises on ebay (in the Canon FD section there) - CS Antiques (Surrey) Canon A 'squeak' repair - 17-95p. Might be worth trying to find them.
hcbph 1 7
4 Jul 2013 11:57PM
I have both an A1 & a AE1 along with a number of FD lenses. When I got a T4I, I picked up an FD to EOS adapter and tried it out. It can work but can add some complexity to doing your focusing. It's like a TC, you're adding another lens element in there. It's been a few months since I shot some film but I will again. I'm also getting out my darkroom gear once my last daughter gets a place of her own.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.